Sign in to follow this  
wizzards

P3d article

I still wonder if 911 put an end to simulating for MS.  It just seems strange how after all the years of development, they pulled the plug.  

Even more reasonable. L-M want's to provide a way for a new cadre of fledgling developers, that is 3d modelers, gauge and systems programmers, scenery developers, and so forth to have a low cost means to do so?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

From our interview last September with Martile Allen, P3D Program Manager:

QUOTE:

Question: Currently P3D has 3 "flavours": Professional, Academic and Developer. There are professional training products in the market that can also be purchased by the average "Joe Citizen" and used for self-training and on to simulation. Can you expand on your products? As a former Private Pilot and ATC (who can no longer fly or practice due to medical reasons) am I able to purchase one of your products to keep my former skills up to date in a simulation environment?

Martile Allen: Our end-user license agreement explains that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment. Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. Our focus is on learning and training. The bottom line is that it depends on how the software will be used. What it can’t do is support just-for-fun simming.

We are sometimes asked where Prepar3D can be used. Location is not a consideration in the end-user license agreement; it only matters how the software will be used.

We see the core audiences for our products as:

• Professionals – This license is intended for professional skills training. This group could include private pilots, commercial flight schools, military personnel, civil organizations such as firefighters/emergency response or students pursuing a technical degree or an advanced degree such as a masters or PhD.
  •  Students – We launched an academic license recently at a reduced price for educational purposes at the undergraduate college level and below (students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree). This is an extension of our philanthropic support for STEM education to engage the next generation of technologists and engineers.
  •  Developers – To provide the best experience for all companies and individuals working with Prepar3D, we provide a standardized interface and. tools so that anyone can create Prepar3D-compatible products. Encouraging development is the driving force behind offering open access to an online SDK, tools and simconnect interface. For the individuals or companies who are interested in developing aircraft models, scenery, terrains and weather effects for Prepar3D, we offer a Prepar3D developer license.

UNQUOTE

You can read the entire interview here.

Q: Please tell us what you personally feel is one of the most interesting or exciting uses you have seen for the Prepar3D product?

A: We are really proud and excited that Prepar3D is inspiring the next generation of engineers and technologists through our academic license. Our decision to offer an academic license at reduced pricing is an extension of our philanthropic support to encourage kids to explore science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) careers.

I guess that "kids" aren't entertained by using P3D. Or maybe Flight sim enthusiasts are lower on LM's priority list than kids. ^_^

Humm! if this was that easy would you care to tell me why PMDG is not on board....are they (and their lawyers) that dumb?

It's probably not that straightforward  i imagine that PMDG is eyeing other professional markets with their products, there may well be an element of separation, they in future may want to offer a P3D compliant version of the NGX, with a premium price i'm sure.

Other developers are openly supporting the product, even if (at the moment) i get the impression it's all under the radar (no pun intended)

Ian R Tyldesley

It's probably not that straightforward  i imagine that PMDG is eyeing other professional markets with their products, there may well be an element of separation, they in future may want to offer a P3D compliant version of the NGX, with a premium price i'm sure.

Other developers are openly supporting the product, even if (at the moment) i get the impression it's all under the radar (no pun intended)

Exactly my point, that is why some entertained FSX users think they can become Professionals, Students or Developers by clicking the "buy" button. 

Exactly my point, that is why some entertained FSX users think they can become Professionals, Students or Developers by clicking the "buy" button. 

Lol - Well they sort of do, all those people who bought the "development license" and proceeded to add a dot to the paint kit of the default 172  :lol:

Ian R Tyldesley

Exactly my point, that is why some entertained FSX users think they can become Professionals, Students or Developers by clicking the "buy" button.

I have to ask, Alian...

Just why do you care what other's do? Why not just accept the obvious fact that for some reason you are personally affronted because others choose not adopt your parochial and narrow interpretation?

Not everyone in the world dances to the same drumbeat you know...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Humm! if this was that easy would you care to tell me why PMDG is not on board....are they (and their lawyers) that dumb?

On another matter, do you think LM's CEO did wake up one morning and said "Hey! lets make Prepar3D's EULA so clear that it will accommodate all FSX entertained users.... cause we want to sell them a new sim"...nope, so about this for an explanation...lets say that in one point in time MS throw out of the window all 3PD who were involved in their new sim called Flight and from there one of them seeing no future at all with MS Flight (after trying to be the main add-on supplier for it) turned around and got in bed with LM and "kinda" made sure that the EULA was written in a way or the wording changed as they go (more then once) to ensure that it will accommodate (in their own mind) all FSX entertained users without putting LM in an awkward position regarding the use of their licenses so they can keep selling more sceneries.....I know, it's all speculations, that remind me of one guy.....never mind.

Its really not that hard--P3D and PMDG don't want to negotiate under the current terms.  From LM's point, they want a military contractor product. From PMDG's standpoint--they want a sim product.  Different standpoints. I'd also imagine that PMDG doens't want the liability of putting out a gamer-aviation product thought to be a commercial aviation product. In other words, peopole claiming to have trained under PMDG that then sue them for whatever reasons.

I think the PMDG product is worthy of either, but the other point is liability.  If I am PMDG, I don't want some person relying on my product to   

I can see some liability that PMDG would want to avoid--that being software that is supposed to offer real flight training.   

I have to ask, Alian...

Just why do you care what other's do? Why not just accept the obvious fact that for some reason you are personally affronted because others choose not adopt your parochial and narrow interpretation?

I have to ask Bill, What makes you so convinced Alain is an Alian?   :ph34r:  :Bug:  :LMAO:  :h01162:  :h0134:

From our interview last September with Martile Allen, P3D Program Manager:

QUOTE:

Question: Currently P3D has 3 "flavours": Professional, Academic and Developer. There are professional training products in the market that can also be purchased by the average "Joe Citizen" and used for self-training and on to simulation. Can you expand on your products? As a former Private Pilot and ATC (who can no longer fly or practice due to medical reasons) am I able to purchase one of your products to keep my former skills up to date in a simulation environment?

Martile Allen: Our end-user license agreement explains that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment. Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. Our focus is on learning and training. The bottom line is that it depends on how the software will be used. What it can’t do is support just-for-fun simming.

We are sometimes asked where Prepar3D can be used. Location is not a consideration in the end-user license agreement; it only matters how the software will be used.

We see the core audiences for our products as:

• Professionals – This license is intended for professional skills training. This group could include private pilots, commercial flight schools, military personnel, civil organizations such as firefighters/emergency response or students pursuing a technical degree or an advanced degree such as a masters or PhD.
  •  Students – We launched an academic license recently at a reduced price for educational purposes at the undergraduate college level and below (students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree). This is an extension of our philanthropic support for STEM education to engage the next generation of technologists and engineers.
  •  Developers – To provide the best experience for all companies and individuals working with Prepar3D, we provide a standardized interface and. tools so that anyone can create Prepar3D-compatible products. Encouraging development is the driving force behind offering open access to an online SDK, tools and simconnect interface. For the individuals or companies who are interested in developing aircraft models, scenery, terrains and weather effects for Prepar3D, we offer a Prepar3D developer license.

UNQUOTE

You can read the entire interview here.

Too bad Tom, maybe if they started the interview with this it would have kept peoples attention long enough to read it...  By placing this at the end people cherry-picked the info they wanted and probably didn't even give this paragraph a glance...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I think the PMDG product is worthy of either, but the other point is liability.

Putting Boeing products in a LMOC product might be a show stopper too, especially given the "training" aspect of the P3D license.

I have to ask, Alian...

I don't Bill, unless its affecting me or my family directly but I can still have an opinion on the subject.

Do I really have a parochial and narrow interpretation or do others have a to broad-minded definition of what's written so they can accommodate themselves?

I can understand and respect your point of view on the matter since you are a developer, no customers = no works but still, FSX entertained users do not become Professionals, Students or Developers by clicking the "Buy" button, and that is factum.

The price points for the different products is pretty generous. It's nice to have official confirmation from Lockheed Martin that the next version will use DX11. Sadly no word at this time on a 64Bit version.

FSX and P3D are "Study Sims". Flight was a "Game". FSX a "Sim" Thus, myself, having the desire of a pilots license (but cannot due to finances, time, etc) am a wanna be  "Student Pilot", therefore P3D is used as a study simulator. Me and countless thousands strapping on a plane or helo, flying the virtual skies with wanting realism.  The grey area is using it as a "Game" or "Study Sim".  Anyone I have met either love or hate FSX because of the learning curve. Hmmm.... Learning... Educational purposes. I say 99.99% of serious FSX'ers meet that description. Seems to me everyone here, I mean everyone takes FSX very seriously. A lot of passion, time and money spent making the flight experience realistic. I am educating myself but may never attain a real pilots license.  I am off topic and ranting, I think? I stare at a blank wall as I ponder over my post........ 

Back on topic: DX-11 is a positive move by the looks of it, if it works a lot better without tweaking I am in. 

Hi can any body tell me what benefit  the inclusion of DX11 would make in P3d from a novices point of view  ,I really cannot see P3d wiping out all the add on,s already available for use with P3d ,so it must be able to be backwards compatible with existing ad dons ,and also how much extra work for developers to produce DX11 add on,s ,would they also work with FSX , is it poss for example for the Airbus x extended to be easily  updated ,or is it a complete rewrite  ,would the developers need to produce two diff versions FSX /P3d ?

hope you can follow my drift

peter