Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 is STILL the #1 flight simulator for 'heavy' operations!

I added them and the difference was noticeable but not brilliant.

I don't think anything from the texture point of view with a year 2004 product can be as you say, brilliant. Those settings took care of the blurries about 10 miles out-view for myself, and gave a very believable blending from clear, through to soft at the point where land meets horizon. For myself at least, it brings the visual to a much more realistic view, that I had before the line installs. I'm actually thrilled with what it accomplished. That was the last 'mild gripe' I had with FS9. With picking up both Zinertech's products at the start of the week, (as a suggestion from Dillion, and thank you!), as well as this, has locked FS9 down. :)

Cheers,

With picking up both Zinertech's products at the start of the week, (as a suggestion from Dillon, and thank you!), as well as this, has locked FS9 down. :)

Cheers,

Pass on what you've learned is the best thanks.   :drinks:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Thanks  Dillon for taking the time to make that reply

One last suggestion once you get your Traffic setup.  You need to try 'Contrails Pro'.  Up close this update doesn't look good so I have the feature turned off on the aircraft I'm flying but for looking out the VC at other aircraft the extended contrails looks outstanding.  For flying skies full of AI you can't beat this add-on.

FS2020 

Groovin, I wish to thank you for posting the four .cfg items above.  WOW...have they ever cranked up the quality of ground representation. I have never had these in place, and had had some outright bad blurries to the horizon. With your posted tweaks, I now have a very gradual 'soft focus' of textures, that in fact, emulates what you see with the human eye at 18,000 feet and higher. I suggest that all users (if you haven't already) add all the posted tweak settings to their FS9 .cfg file. The difference between not having these settings, and having, are huge.

Mitch

Hi,

I don't want to hijack the thread, but may I ask you which settings did you have before.

I once read that in

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=

every setting higher than 4 was useless, the sim will take the highest possible value of 4.0 instead. The source of this information is the huge Terrain Documentation by Joachim Buhre (Jobia).

Hence, when I changed my values from 4.0 to 9.0 I didn't realize a change in texture appearance. (I didn't find my textures blurried or bad in any way before...)

By the way, FS9 is my one and only simulator for heavy, light, heli and sometimes even car operations!

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

GeyerH, on 16 May 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

Hi,

I don't want to hijack the thread, but may I ask you which settings did you have before.

I once read that in

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=

every setting higher than 4 was useless, the sim will take the highest possible value of 4.0 instead. The source of this information is the huge Terrain Documentation by Joachim Buhre (Jobia).

Hence, when I changed my values from 4.0 to 9.0 I didn't realize a change in texture appearance. (I didn't find my textures blurried or bad in any way before...)

By the way, FS9 is my one and only simulator for heavy, light, heli and sometimes even car operations!

Regards,

Harald

Hi Harald, In answer to your question, I must have always had the standard FS9 written-to data on those four lines. I read what you state about anything higher, but...I must report the following with the settings as was posted. Here is the A/B as per my usage:

Before I entered the data as posted, the best way to describe my blurries, was if you looked out your cabin window downwards during a standard three minute turn, you would see very clear texture tiles below your wing. Now, if you then carried out your view about a virtual 5 miles, it would be in fact very blurry, almost an 'impressionist' sort of 'painting' of the texture tile. I learned to live with it, because I had not found a way via other methods to deal with it. It 'was, what it was'. I then read that post a couple of days ago, and thought to try it out. I did so, saved the .cfg, and then took my standard start up on the ramp. I took off, and wow...what a difference! What a difference! Here comes the 'B' of the comparison. Now, when you bank, the tiles are incredibly sharp, or the FS9 version of incredibly sharp (smile). If you then take your gaze out to terra firma meeting the horizon, it is a very GRADUAL de-focusing (a 'soft' focus, not a mishmash) of the textures that would be normal to the human eye, with atmospherics and pollution in place. That all occurred after only tweaking the stated lines with the poster's numerical settings. Since that tweak, all my flights, from any location have been of this nature. I can only speak for my system, as we all only can...but despite what you read about the sim's max setting of '4', by having one of those tweaks at '9' really did the trick for me. FS9 looks very, very life-like (as commenting about land tiles and textures) from the FL's. That is why I like FS9 so much, amongst other obvious reasons on system-level FPS performance in the densest of clouds (via A.S.E.) or the most detailed cockpit. So, what you read notwithstanding, give the settings a go, and see if they give you any sort of A/B on your system.

P.S. NO topic started to support the interest and flowing thread enjoyment in using FS9 is considered a thread hi-jack from myself, the O.P. I only ask that everybody respect the other, and that there are social ways to disagree with a poster...but with the human experience, there are also very much anti-social ways employed that results in a locked thread. I ask as the OP, that all reading this, keep this thread interesting, engaging, and most of all fun. No insults slung anybody's way, please. Keep this thread open and interesting for as long as its natural 'run'. With thanks from the O.P., myself

Mitch

I've seen a lot, but a 500+ MB panel is something really new to me!

How did you manage to accumulate such a massive amount of data?!

Sound files and very large bitmaps? Uncompressed gauge files?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hi Mitch,

at first let me express that it is very nice to hear that you reached that impressive improvement of your FS2004.

I just wondered (and posted) because I read and heard so often that "wisdom" that all settings beyond 4 etc. etc... It may still be that if FS9.cfg standard value for these parameters was "1", setting it to "4" already results in a vast improvement (the tutorial I read sounded very logical on that indeed, and its author claimed to have tested all settings with special trial sceneries in an almost scientific manner - unfortunately it's only available in German), but I'm far from being a preacher for that. So enjoy the new look of your FS2004!

I fly FS2004 since 2006 (no joke - had FS2002 at this time, looked at FSX and decided for FS2004), and I learn new things and tweaks even seven years later. Some threats away there was a helpful advice I read about the first time just today, and it worked fine. This is what I appreciate FS2004 for, and what I appreciate this Forum for.

Regarding to your P.S. - Just a "Thumbs up". :good:

Best regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I've seen a lot, but a 500+ MB panel is something really new to me!

How did you manage to accumulate such a massive amount of data?!

Sound files and very large bitmaps? Uncompressed gauge files?

Nothing has been compressed! The updates are evolutionary. The early ones contain full check-lists plus voicechecklist files which you can modify yourself or use with voice recognition. There are also route planning charts.

In all there are now 37 windows. The original 9 windows have been fully overhauled so that every switch and light works and actually does something i.e. not just for show! The engines have been totally re-done so they now output the correct power ratings plus I have done new sounds for them. The latest panel addition is the external underwing refuelling point. There's even a marshaller!

Yes, it's a major project!!! Still to be done is a full electrics system. The VC10 has a split system control for the aerodynamic surfaces which is extremely complicated to model.

It's all free!!

If you want to try it out download the original a/c from David maltby's website (also free) and them run each update in turn  read each doc file so that you can keep abreast of the evolutioonary changes.

Ok, one last quick one. Is there a package anywhere which improves the trees in FS9? The variety and look of them in FSX/P3D is better and I do quite a bit of low flying so it makes a difference. 

That'll be it then, nice looking sim with good FPS, who could ask for anything more?

Glad to know i am not the only one who found it boring to fly.

Actually it is a delight to fly and the FDE has been verified by real world pilots on the the very active support team. Great VNAV and it even supports RF leg types. It's not good....it's outstanding.....and that is from someone who has flown various jets RW for the last 22 years. Sorry to hear you are having problems but unfortunately the problem is your end. Who knows what sort of add ons or cfg settings that you have that could be causing issues. The PMDG 747-400 is good but not really in the same league now.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi Mitch,

at first let me express that it is very nice to hear that you reached that impressive improvement of your FS2004.

I just wondered (and posted) because I read and heard so often that "wisdom" that all settings beyond 4 etc. etc... It may still be that if FS9.cfg standard value for these parameters was "1", setting it to "4" already results in a vast improvement (the tutorial I read sounded very logical on that indeed, and its author claimed to have tested all settings with special trial sceneries in an almost scientific manner - unfortunately it's only available in German), but I'm far from being a preacher for that. So enjoy the new look of your FS2004!

I fly FS2004 since 2006 (no joke - had FS2002 at this time, looked at FSX and decided for FS2004), and I learn new things and tweaks even seven years later. Some threats away there was a helpful advice I read about the first time just today, and it worked fine. This is what I appreciate FS2004 for, and what I appreciate this Forum for.

Regarding to your P.S. - Just a "Thumbs up". :good:

Best regards,

Harald

Well Harald, since those great four little lines...things are good.  I don't even breathe too hard, and certainly wouldn't sneeze  around my FS9 .cfg file...for fear something might jar loose...lol!   Cheers!

Fengs TreeGen.
HD Simulations Trees.

Both free.

Thanks but  can't find them! Can you give us a link please, had a look on Avsim file library and the net for both, no joy  :wacko:

Hi Harald, In answer to your question, I must have always had the standard FS9 written-to data on those four lines. I read what you state about anything higher, but...I must report the following with the settings as was posted. Here is the A/B as per my usage:

Before I entered the data as posted, the best way to describe my blurries, was if you looked out your cabin window downwards during a standard three minute turn, you would see very clear texture tiles below your wing. Now, if you then carried out your view about a virtual 5 miles, it would be in fact very blurry, almost an 'impressionist' sort of 'painting' of the texture tile. I learned to live with it, because I had not found a way via other methods to deal with it. It 'was, what it was'. I then read that post a couple of days ago, and thought to try it out. I did so, saved the .cfg, and then took my standard start up on the ramp. I took off, and wow...what a difference! What a difference! Here comes the 'B' of the comparison. Now, when you bank, the tiles are incredibly sharp, or the FS9 version of incredibly sharp (smile). If you then take your gaze out to terra firma meeting the horizon, it is a very GRADUAL de-focusing (a 'soft' focus, not a mishmash) of the textures that would be normal to the human eye, with atmospherics and pollution in place. That all occurred after only tweaking the stated lines with the poster's numerical settings. Since that tweak, all my flights, from any location have been of this nature. I can only speak for my system, as we all only can...but despite what you read about the sim's max setting of '4', by having one of those tweaks at '9' really did the trick for me. FS9 looks very, very life-like (as commenting about land tiles and textures) from the FL's. That is why I like FS9 so much, amongst other obvious reasons on system-level FPS performance in the densest of clouds (via A.S.E.) or the most detailed cockpit. So, what you read notwithstanding, give the settings a go, and see if they give you any sort of A/B on your system.

P.S. NO topic started to support the interest and flowing thread enjoyment in using FS9 is considered a thread hi-jack from myself, the O.P. I only ask that everybody respect the other, and that there are social ways to disagree with a poster...but with the human experience, there are also very much anti-social ways employed that results in a locked thread. I ask as the OP, that all reading this, keep this thread interesting, engaging, and most of all fun. No insults slung anybody's way, please. Keep this thread open and interesting for as long as its natural 'run'. With thanks from the O.P., myself

Mitch

I'll add to this in saying I benefited from this thread as well (outside of offering my advice). After reading the last few posts here I went in and checked my FS9.cfg file only to find an off setting:

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000, should be 'TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.900000'

I ended up changing the setting to what was posted here and found a much improved ground texture range in FS9 than what I had before. If it wasn't for this thread I would have never caught that. To think, I thought my setup was full proof. Threads like this really help us all...

FS2020