Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 is STILL the #1 flight simulator for 'heavy' operations!

FLEX1978, on 10 May 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Out of curiosity what specs do you have Dillon? I get the same FPS in fsx as I do in FS9 both are locked at 30

Dell T3400 Duo Core 2 x 2.66 1333 FSB

Windows 7 SP1

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 w/1gig Memory

4gigs RAM

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It's not a "ground texture problem" Its a design issue. FS9 by design is limited to 4M texture resolution where FSX default is 1m textures, and has the capability of going down to 7cm textures. It also can support 4096x4096 textures, which give it even more clarity. The difference between the 2 sims  is not as noticeable at high altitude, but is very noticeable down low.

is not as noticeable at high altitude,

------------------------------------------------------

Yes sir, that was my main point in my O.P.   Where FS9 shines is at the start of the FL's...18,000 ft and up.  At this altitude, to my eyes, it's verbatim to what you actually view from the window seat in the real world environment.  FS9 for Heavy Metal operations, FSX for VFR.  Those preceding with coming from Microsoft.

All that talk is making me want install FS9 again, I don't think I can manage without the NGX though..

What...WHAT?!?!?  Pardon?!?!?....you uninstalled it in the first place?   :(

Proceed to hang your head in flight simulator shame!   LOL  ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-install...load it up....and go fly the best flight simulator there EVER was created for taking off  down the runway in multi-ton sleds......

Mitch'er

Dillon,

Thankfully I checked and I have every freeware aircraft and scenery. The only thing I deleted was my WoAi folders with all the packages and the bgls that I had saved just to reinsert into the sim. I was a tweaking exper at one time in fs9 , there wasn't a setting I didn't know how to use, and the amount of times I reinstalled that sim I had it down to a fine art. But it's amazing what you forget after a few years out !! Just one more thing. The one thi I'm addicted to in Fsx is Orbx. I have PNW and it's stunning. It actually runs quite well enough pauses aside on my HW , I get away with it to be honest but I know if I add too much more it's going to tumble. But do Orbx make sceneries for fs9 or just airports? I can't seem to nail that info. Because the only thing stopping me from going back is the terrible looking ground textures that I remember. Can anyone here post a few pics of their sim at its very best? Or link a few videos?

Dillon,

Thankfully I checked and I have every freeware aircraft and scenery. The only thing I deleted was my WoAi folders with all the packages and the bgls that I had saved just to reinsert into the sim. I was a tweaking exper at one time in fs9 , there wasn't a setting I didn't know how to use, and the amount of times I reinstalled that sim I had it down to a fine art. But it's amazing what you forget after a few years out !! Just one more thing. The one thi I'm addicted to in Fsx is Orbx. I have PNW and it's stunning. It actually runs quite well enough pauses aside on my HW , I get away with it to be honest but I know if I add too much more it's going to tumble. But do Orbx make sceneries for fs9 or just airports? I can't seem to nail that info. Because the only thing stopping me from going back is the terrible looking ground textures that I remember. Can anyone here post a few pics of their sim at its very best? Or link a few videos?

At cruise altitude, I can't really see much of a difference between FS9's output, and the real world. That is of course with a a good graphics update package, such as Ground Environment Pro. Stock...I don't know...I can't remember what that looks like at factory wrap. George, I'm sure that you will be most happy getting it up and running once more.

No problem. It kills me how many want to bury FS9 in favor of an option that's so bug ridden. I believe Microsoft will bring back Flight Simulator in an updated form we all would like but Steve Ballmer would have to leave first. In the mean time I hate people feel they have to work with crap because so many voices say so. We have options out here (like Windows 7 instead of Windows 8) and for those that want to just enjoy simulating flight there's alternatives. You'll see for yourself when/if you get FS9 up and running again. What I've outlined in this thread will get your sim looking like FSX the fastest. From there you can get all your planes and scenery re-installed. Hopefully you didn't delete all your freeware offerings for FS9 as there are more than a few offering that didn't make it back after the Avsim hack.

Dillon, as you know, I did pick up both the Zinertech products on your suggestion to, and for the 23 or so Euro's it was a good purchase combo. They both truly add to the mix, and notch the FS9 experience beyond the coin outlay.  Thanks for suggesting them. What they now produce within the sim, were a couple of things that was still 'in need'  in my FS9 installation. Now, that has been addressed! :)

Happy flights,

Mitch

What...WHAT?!?!?  Pardon?!?!?....you uninstalled it in the first place?   :(

Proceed to hang your head in flight simulator shame!   LOL  ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-install...load it up....and go fly the best flight simulator there EVER was created for taking off  down the runway in multi-ton sleds......

Mitch'er

Haha! that made me smile, I'm going to install it in a few minutes ;)

The one thi I'm addicted to in Fsx is Orbx. I have PNW and it's stunning. It actually runs quite well enough pauses aside on my HW , I get away with it to be honest but I know if I add too much more it's going to tumble. But do Orbx make sceneries for fs9 or just airports? I can't seem to nail that info. Because the only thing stopping me from going back is the terrible looking ground textures that I remember.

Tongass fjords (payware)

Misty Fjords (payware)

Glacier bay (freeware)

VOZ 1.8 (freeware, covers the whole Australian continent)

I know these were made by the same people who went on to do Orbx stuff.

I definitely feel ya though. I uninstalled fsx a few months ago and the main thing I miss most about it was flying all over the NA Orbx regions and UTX Alaska for my bush VA. Flying tubes in fs9 has been a nice new challenge.

I'm always fond of Dillon's insight and opinions, I hope he would consider to apply for AVSIM Staff, as a reviewer perhaps?

I simply have little interest in NGX or such. Everyone talks about NGX and I am sure it is a hell of an add on. But what makes me keep FSX installed is A2A's P 40 warhawk and its Accusim + Accufeel. I once read somewhere sometime ago that RealAir Spitfire has this movement effect, when you bank or roll, we can actually see the body movement due to side force, it is not static. Although they say the fsx has different coding that possibles more enhancement than fs9, i'm pretty sure Accu-feel concept can be applied to fs9. The tire screech, braking sound squeal, and enormous effects. having regularly visited calclassic, there are a bit of everything there for classic aircraft lovers.

Supprised this thread is still going because according to Uncle Tom and co , having a differing opinion is breaking some kind of Avsim law.

That statement really was not necessary. Tom never said or implied that. What is against AVSIM rules is when a thread like this descends into personal attacks or other uncivilized behavior. So far this thread has been above the fray, keep it that way and there will be no reason for AVSIM to lock it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Dillon, as you know, I did pick up both the Zinertech products on your suggestion to, and for the 23 or so Euro's it was a good purchase combo. They both truly add to the mix, and notch the FS9 experience beyond the coin outlay. Thanks for suggesting them. What they now produce within the sim, were a couple of things that was still 'in need' in my FS9 installation. Now, that has been addressed! :)

Happy flights,

Mitch

Great to hear, glade I could help...

I've seen plenty of threads closed without containing personal attacks.

Anyway.....blurries!!!!

To be honest with you Jon I haven't seen this issue in my install of FS9 in years. I've applied various tweaks over the years just trying things out, something must have worked. Like I said above the 'Extend_Terrain_Detail' in the FS9.cfg solved the close in blurries I had with my last install (bringing FS9 from XP to W7) but if your seeing a serious problem you might have to do some searching in these forums to find out what we were doing years ago. Most people today even with newly fresh installs aren't reporting this issue.  Hopefully someone here has a good memory of everything we've tried over the years. Video card and the latest drivers are a big factor in how your sim looks and performs.  I actually thought updated hardware solved this issue years ago.  I remember with every update from Nvidia and other options we all saw this less and less.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Right,

I'm taking this nice and slow. Defragging like mad after every install but Ive got my base again. FsGenesis, Ut Usa Can Europe, GEPro, Activesky. Has anyone got settings for the UTs? Long ago Michael Greenblatt set them up for me and I took them down once and of course lost them. He used to go through them one by one screaming at me what to leave unchecked! I remember some options can cause issues?

Also what is being used for sky , lights , airport textures, trees etc now? I have Activesky Evolution , GePro, I own flight environment, but I remember using real environment pro for textures before I took a break?

Thanks

George

Tongass fjords (payware)

Misty Fjords (payware)

Glacier bay (freeware)

VOZ 1.8 (freeware, covers the whole Australian continent)

I know these were made by the same people who went on to do Orbx stuff.

I definitely feel ya though. I uninstalled fsx a few months ago and the main thing I miss most about it was flying all over the NA Orbx regions and UTX Alaska for my bush VA. Flying tubes in fs9 has been a nice new challenge.

Completely forgot about Glacier Bay, what an epic piece of art. Thanks!

All that talk is making me want install FS9 again, I don't think I can manage without the NGX though..

There is an excellent alternative, the iFly. :smile:

Only have to look a couple of miles at best - rwy length - away from any aircraft for the infamous fs9 blurries.

Do you have anisotropic filtering enabled on your video card?  What you described happens to me if I run it on Trilinear without anisotropic on the GPU.

There is also the three terrain extend settings in the cfg.

You set in-game filtering at Trilinear. Then go to your FS9 profile in Nvidia Inspector, set filtering to "user defined/off", Anisotropic Filtering Setting to "16X", Texture Filtering Negative LOD Bias to "Clamp" and Quality to "High Quality".

You can google or do a search on this forum for NI settings with screenshots. That should make it easier.

You'll also get superior AA if you disable it in FS9 and use NI instead.

You also want to make sure you have these settings in your FS9 cfg file under [Terrain]:

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.900000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

There is an excellent alternative, the iFly.

Lets be careful how we throw around the word "excellent"...

FSX can be frustrating to deal with.. I agree. The weather engine is just awful in comparison to FS9.. still the biggest thing that gets to me watching clouds pop in and out of thin air. But with the products PMDG are developing.. I couldn't go back to FS9.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit