Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

soundset is important

Steve,

Actually, Ive been doing the sounds since the FSX 747-400.  Ryan has been helping on many different things over the years.  For the 777 he recorded a large majority of the cockpit sounds.

The 777 sounds are moving along nicely ..... we've managed to add some new features not seen in the NGX that add to the overall realism ....... stay tuned!!! :Whistle:

Cheers,

Brilliant stuff, I know you guys will get it right . One thing that has always attracted me to your products not only the fine quality and overall finish but the sounds are spot on and that is very important 

Steve

No good having a great movie with the sound muted . :)

One thing I did figure out in regards to Fs sounds and the sound engine during my experience doing NGX Enhancements, was making interior sounds pretty much surround

Like the aircon and wind sounds within the VC cabin. It can be done but takes a bit of work. panning the air sounds left and right in stereo seems to add great realism but I guess that is personal taste.

73mf5u.jpg

ERJ's weren't too bad if you wore your headsets even when you gotta walk under the exhaust port to pick up the rear safety cone prior to pushback, MQ provided really good headsets.

I was a ramp sup, so one of my ears needed to either be open so I could hear my speaker/mic (I only did that a few days until they got me an earpiece), or have an earpiece in it, which didn't seal very well.

When I was a rampie, I didn't need to worry about a thing.  I always had plugs, or I was always on push duty, so I always had a headset on.

...and don't get me started on the "safety" mantra of the ramp.  Haha.

Kyle Rodgers

757's equipped with RR engines are the absolute worse, on the ramp they will split your skull open without proper hearing protection while the GE's are whisper quiet. Even on startup the GE90's are quieter than an idling RB211.

I've heard RR's on 757-300 one time. It was a Condor flying over my head on final with gear+flaps out. THIS was the best engine sound I've ever heard so far.

I'm sure they will make an awesome soundset but I only hope that the wind sounds won't be as loud as they're in the NGX.

When I was a rampie, I didn't need to worry about a thing. I always had plugs, or I was always on push duty, so I always had a headset on.

I was usually the push guy every other flight (dynamic manning alternates us between #1 and #2).

#1 tasks

Arrival: Marshall aircraft, chock nosegear, plug in GPU, knock on door if its a CRJ7, do exterior walk around, retrieve valet cart from jetbridge (usually done before arrival), take bags off the belt and sort them for the local/go give drivers.

Departure: Load and scan each bag onto conveyor, retrieve valet bags from JB, position tug, unplug GPU/PCA, perform pushback.

#2 tasks

Arrival: stop crossing traffic for plane pulling in, position belt loader at cargo door and open cargo door, place safety cone at rear of aircraft, climb into cargo bin and unload bags. Refill aircraft potable water tank (every CRJ, on request by crew for ERJ).

Departure: Stack bags and cargo into the plane, close cargo door, remove safety cone, park belt loader in its spot, help #1 hook up the tug and plug in headsets, place pin in CRJ7 airstair, wing walk for pushback.

That's pretty much the jist of it although new guys can give the pushback task to his buddy if he is uncomfortable with the job, some vets recommended that practice until you are off probation although IMHO that would make you rather rusty after 6 months.

One thing I did figure out in regards to Fs sounds and the sound engine during my experience doing NGX Enhancements, was making interior sounds pretty much surround

Like the aircon and wind sounds within the VC cabin. It can be done but takes a bit of work. panning the air sounds left and right in stereo seems to add great realism but I guess that is personal taste.

Hi Steve,

Good advice !  I'll see what I can do in the cockpit - for the outside views (and wing views), the sound files have to be in mono to take advantage of the sound cone positioning code.

Cheers,

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Hi Steve,

Good advice ! I'll see what I can do in the cockpit - for the outside views (and wing views), the sound files have to be in mono to take advantage of the sound cone positioning code.

Cheers,

Yeah they sure do as fsx sound engine only uses mono for soundcone otherwise if done in stereo it will just ignore your programming. inside and outside coning.

I'm currently doing the new soundpack for the F15 E AU

this is how i work EXAMPLE_

[COMBUSTION.1.05]

filename=ext_combustion_idle_eng1

flags=0

viewpoint=2

rparams=0.005882,0.851064,1.000000,1.297872

vparams=0.401070,0.000000,0.600535,10.823910,0.672727,73.344101,0.774866,81.260094,0.827273,42.810986,0.901604,6.946688,1.000000,0.000000,1.000000,0.000000

insideConeAngle=45

outsideConeAngle=180

conePitch=0.000000

coneHeading=-180.000000

outsideConeVolume=9000

full_Scale_Distance=50

I find sometimes aswell if you want to add extra bass or humph to the exterior engine using Flags=8 will give you the chance to add on top of what you have done, aslong as it is last in line of the sequence hope that makes sence lol

The 777 sounds are moving along nicely .....

When important things are still moving along, an imminent release sounds pretty unlikely. That makes it easier to stop thinking (dreaming) about whether she's coming today or not ;)

When important things are still moving along, an imminent release sounds pretty unlikely. That makes it easier to stop thinking (dreaming) about whether she's coming today or not ;)

Thought exactly the same thing lol

I'm sure they will make an awesome soundset but I only hope that the wind sounds won't be as loud as they're in the NGX.

FSX thing.. Just turn down enivroment sounds

It's not an FSX thing.  The 737 has a very loud flight deck, simply by the design of the nose and its related aerodynamics.

Kyle Rodgers

It's not an FSX thing.  The 737 has a very loud flight deck, simply by the design of the nose and its related aerodynamics.

Maybe I was a bit unclear, so let me elaborate a bit

I seem to remember that PMDG has some suggested setting for the sound(PMDG 737NGX-introduction.pdf, 2012:0.00.78), and thus the environmental setting in FSX. If He has an higher setting, then it's an FSX thing? =)

Ok thank you. I will try it.

Wind is the primary sound you're going to hear in flight in any airliner cockpit. The 777 is quieter than the NG due to the shape of the nose/windows but it's still there quite prominently. You cannot judge off of cockpit DVDs and stuff like that - they're using tons of filtering and noise cancellation to make the crew audible.

Well if Ryan is doing the sound for the T7 which I do believe he is you guys won't have anything to worry about on that front.

Steve

Armen designs the soundsets here, not me. I've helped with some of the recording and things like pitch matching the "note" of each component of the engine sound, but the editing and cfg work is all Armen guys.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It's not an FSX thing. The 737 has a very loud flight deck, simply by the design of the nose and its related aerodynamics.

Except on the real deal you wear a headset.

The NGX soundset probably sounds like almost the real deal without wearing a headset.

Unless people at home are putting the fsx sounds to external speakers and wearing a headset for Vatsim, having all of fsx's sounds through a headset will be too noisy.

I always have to reduce the cockpit sounds on the NGX, plus lower the fsx engine sounds by 10-15% so I can hear ATC (if I put the sounds on external speakers my wife would kill me).

If I'm flying the JS41, engine sounds have to go to 25% or lower.