Sign in to follow this  
Norwegian

PMDG 737NGX question(s)

Hey guys,

I'm currently learning to fly the NGX by PMDG, and i've learned how to program the FMC, but what i am wondering is this:

Will the aircraft automaticly start to descend at a certain point as long as i'm in VNAV mode?

Because when i tested it out yesterday, i had to descend manually.

And in the FMC it said something like ''VREF not selected'' what does that mean?

Thanks!

Kim

Kim

If you are in VNAV mode and have AP engaged then yes you will automatically begin to descend when you reach the T/D point. However you much ensure that after reaching T/C you reset the altitude on the MCP to a lower value. The MCP dialled altitude will take precedence over what is in the FMC so I always lower the altitude in the MCP once I'm established in cruise.

Best regards

Martin

Vref is one of your 'landing speeds'; it has to be selected on the APPR page.

Boeings descent automatically, so you may want to check on your next flight, you chose a landing runway and the corresponding approach. After choosing them you'll have to close at least one discontinuity on the LEGS page.

Make sure, you set a lower ALT on the MCP before reaching your calculated TopOfDescent.

When you had to descend manually, if what I have described was in fact the issue, you should have had a 'RESET MCP ALTITUDE' warning in the FMC

Yes and as Olli says you need to have an approach selected to have a descent calculated

Ok, so i put the cruise altitude in to the AP before takeoff, and lower it before i reach cruise?

I can't remember if i got that warning, but i think i did :/

You lower the ALT again after reaching cruise. Otherwise you will never reach your cruise ALT.

Be aware that the other a.m. conditions have to be met, too: You need the approach in your FMC for the FMC to calculate your TOD.

Ok, so i put the cruise altitude in to the AP before takeoff, and lower it before i reach cruise?

After you reach cruise altitude, but it's not a good practice to redial MCP altitude as soon as you reach Top of Climb. You can reset MCP altitude when you get "reset mcp altitude" message.

Does that message appear in the FMC itself?

Yes.

Michael Cubine

Without trying to be rude, 99% of people due both tutorials for the aircraft.  You can learn all this stuff there plus a lot of other things.  If these things two problems trip you up then you will have a lot of similar questions in the future.

The tutorials are fantastic, best to follow it on a second PC or on and Ipad etc.

-Iain Watson-

Does that message appear in the FMC itself?

I'm with Iain.  You should really do the tutorial flights.  There are two, and they're both rather short.  They will answer every one of your questions and more, with pictures in practice, instead of the simple words you're getting here.

Om du har noe spørsmål, etter dette, da kommer du hit  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

I second that, the tutorial flights are good fun and give you an excellent grounding in flying the beautiful bird!