Sign in to follow this  
garymcginnis

Weird FS9 Blurry Behavior

@@Cactus521, i like what you said about braking own barriers and trying new things. I found this a big problem, and it shouldn't be.

Yes, with that settings you should get some more smoothnest and less shimmering. But be aware - in FSX you should set 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling if you dont have a Titan graphic card :) With 4xSGSS in FSX you will be fine until you run into bad weather with HD clouds, this will kill FPS. In FS9 is ok 4xSGSS

@@garymcginnis, this will work only togheter - nvidia settings and fs9.cfg. If you don't run FS9 in full screen, in nvidia inspector set Vertical Sync to "use 3d application settings", you will get slideshow otherwise  

This is not my business, but anyway i am curious - why you don't run FS9 in full screen mode? I found that best performance can be achieved with full screen in both, FSX and FS9

4xSGSS has the same impact in FS9 in heavy weather so that's not an option for most people.

I have 560ti and no impact for me in FS9. In FSX yes, but in FS9 my fps are allways at 30(locked). And i use HD things in FS9 too, REX clouds with ASE Weather. 

Maybe it's a problem for older cards... I want to change my card soon becouse is not good enough for some situations in FSX, but for FS9 is more then you need. BTW - i have Gtx 560ti Twin Frozr II

I don't run in Full Screen since I fly on vatsim and I don't run Squawk Box inside flight sim because of the known issue of random CTDs. The only known away around this to run Squawk Box outside FS which means windowed mode.

Look guys, I've tried everything you've given me; breaking down new barriers is all well and good but when FS turns into a hitch fest, I'll pass.

I'm going to try the settings when I land but at this point I'm just so tried  :blink:

Thanks,

Gary

No joy on anything...... :mad:

I guess we've reach the point where I almost have to accept this behavior  :blink:

Thanks,

Gary

OK another update.

I got my FS running to my general liking. Using some NickN tweaks have seemed to make the blurry much better. I've left AF as application controlled for now because that blurry to clear pop is still there. I think I'm starting to be happy with these NickN settings overall.

But if it isn't one this it is another...... I first though it was a AF/AA conflict (post #37 // #2) but now that isn't the case. I've thrown a post up on Vatsim but figured I would throw it out here as well. I think once I get this resolved, I can finally back away from the tweaking game for a while and just enjoy flight sim.

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=67912

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks for all the wonderful help so far. I'm almost there!

Gary

I'll share my experience on tweaking NVIDIA video cards/drivers with FS9.

Anti-aliasing has always been a strange beast, but what one thing I've never figured out is how people can use NVIDIA’s default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and get it to work.  It don't matter, I've used all kinds of NVIDIA cards and hundreds of different driver versions, and making a change using the NVIDIA default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile yields NO CHANGE to nothing.  I've used Inspector, I've used nHancer, I've used the NVIDIA control panel on the default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" and nothing.  This is not an administrator issue, it happens on both Windows XP and Windows 7 on multiple computers and different hardware setups.

The only way I can effectively make any NVIDIA tweaks that effect changes seen in FS9 is to delete the NVIDIA default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and create a new one using a different name.   That said, I do the same as John, I use the Global profile to tweak FS9.  The PC I use for FS9 is solely used for FS9 and the global profile works great,  provided I first delete the NVIDIA default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile.  

So for anyone who tries and tweaks their NVIDIA card and sees no change in FS9, delete the NVIDIA default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and create a new one.  You can only delete the default profile using nHancer or inspector.  Be warned, once you delete it, it's gone.  Suggest you make a HDD image before deleting it, but I've deleted it since day one.

EDIT:  To get the default profile back, simply re-install your driver.

@ Dave_Morgan
AA works in Full screen or window mode provided you delete NVIDIA’s default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and create a new one. You must disable AA in FS9 and then use the settings via NVIDIA control panel or nHancer or inspector.  You'll be amazed how well it works once you delete the default profile.

Here is an example of how a video setting is affected by the operating system and driver you use.  To eliminate the tearing effect when using Windows XP, try setting your Vertical sync to  "Use the 3D application setting".  If you're using a older video card/driver in Windows 7, setting Vertical sync to "Force On" or to "On" fixes it. If you make these changes and see no effect and still have tearing, delete your NVIDIA’s default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and create a new one.

@@garymcginnis
If you're using a multiple monitor setup, trying disconnecting the 2nd monitor and see if the blurred texture off in the distance goes away.  I'd suggest you delete the default  "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile and then start tweaking.

Anyways, I always delete the NVIDIA’s default "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile before tweaking anything as discussed here.

RJ

Good morning.

I've looked thru all those links and I'm not sure what I am suppose to read. Some are saying there is no fix while others say there is no fix but you can push the blurry to clear out of sight. Is that the jist? If I can just get it pushed out of sight, that is all I really want.

Yup, that's pretty well what I was getting at, except in FS9 you can't push the blurry further away- there's a set limit that appears to be coded into FS9. It's something everyone has been tweaking for the last decade, with no all-encompassing solution ever found. It's why I suggested doing something to obscure the transition instead...

My FPS also dips regularly when I have it locked. I think that's what people mean by 'stutters' rather than 'low FPS', and like you I find things a lot smoother when the framerate is unlocked. Try the Nvidia graph and Task Manager thing I suggested earlier as I think in my case at least, it's the CPU that's struggling.

It's good to read you're getting closer to the performance you want; isn't it a long job!

RJ, thanks for pointing that out, but if you reread what I wrote you'll see that's what I'm already doing :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave

After i look again on this problem, i think that can be just becouse of squawkbox... I can't remember exactly, but i have seen something about this issue, somewhere... 

If you try to use FS9 without squawkbox, what happens? Do you still have blurries?

Let me set the record straight since I think it is my fault b/c I didn't explain fully.

My FPS also dips regularly when I have it locked. I think that's what people mean by 'stutters' rather than 'low FPS', and like you I find things a lot smoother when the framerate is unlocked. Try the Nvidia graph and Task Manager thing I suggested earlier as I think in my case at least, it's the CPU that's struggling.

My CPU isn't struggling. As you can see in the video, when I set it unlimited it was blasting thru 80+ FPS in the LDS767 2d panel at this add-on airport. It was pushing well over 150 FPS at default airports. Temps are great and it is a brand new (Nov/2012) AMD 965. My issue is that over the past few days, this funny behavior started when I connected to vatsim using SB3. The only thing I do that others might not is I drag the fs9.exe over all 4 CPUs. I know it doesn't do anything really but I've noticed some benefit.

If you try to use FS9 without squawkbox, what happens? Do you still have blurries?

The SB3 issue I brought up is not the same issue. I still have the blurry to clear pop when offline. My issue that I was talking about is the drop in FPS that just started.

None the less I've put a work-around on it for now; not ideal but it puts my mind at ease until I can dig a bit deeper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me ask one more question (I think I already know the answer). 

I have my AutoGen on MAX and my FS has almost no AutoGen buildings/trees outside the general area of the airport. I've installed and un-installed REX and GE Pro II and I have a sneaking feeling that one of those products edited the AutoGen out.

01st.jpg

This is how it should look but as you can see in my video, I have none of that.

Any ideas? How to fix? I think once I get the AutoGen issue fixed, I can put this topic to rest since basically everything has been fixed or accounted for.

Thanks,

Gary

I think when you apply GE, it makes a backup of your default textures. REX too, but REX has nothing to do with autogen. But GE change autogen for sure, there is "autogen fix" in GE description.

You should have use "restore" function before uninstaling GE, i think. Backup has probably gone with GE uninstall, but check for that folder anyway, maybe you have luck. 

I'm not sure about this anyway, maybe someone else knows more about

p.s. i think you can fix this using FS9 CD and "repair". I never tried this with FS9, and i don't know how it works. I did this with FSX only. 

I think you should backup your fs9.cfg to save some time after that, and to apply all addon textures again - no airports and sceneries, just things like REX, GE, UT

You need a super computer even to run FS 9 with high quality planes and high quality environment 

No you don't.

You need to folow some guides, to listen some advices and to apply them. It's about right settings and balance :)

p.s. i think you can fix this using FS9 CD and "repair".

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if I install a vanilla copy of FS on another PC, could I transfer over the entire Scenery/World/Texture folder to re-generate the AGN files and not having any issues? I really want to avoid running any type of repair over my actual FS9 install to avoid any possible issues/conflicts that might arise nor do I want to lose any current AGN files/textures already in the World/Texture folder tied to third party airports (I think it is only Latin VFR and FSDT files since those are the only ones I had to run the installer for compared to what I do with my others).

Thanks in advice,

Gary

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350994-autogen-building-clustering/