Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

FTX Global Who is Gonna Buy!

Depends from what is the quality you need, there's always FSAltitude for some high altitude flying... Doesn't cover whole world of course, still most of Mexico, big parts of Caribbean, whole western Europe, Northern Africa and so...

I hope they would complete some more products soon enough.

I have looked at it. But I need high quality I am afraid. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

No, not at all. UTX has nothing to do with the textures other then replacing some of them with the included UTX landclass. It isn't however a dedicated landclass addon so most people use other landclass to work with UTX. UTX mainly adds roads and waters and the FTX Global textures will be used without having to tweak anything. Just like you don't have to tweak the default FSX textures in order to use them with UTX.

Just wanted to point out that the European edition of UTX does include full land classification for the coverage area. Other areas are more limited in scope.

I may think you are confused how the Day/night switching in Orbx FTX regions work? If so, the option too turn of the night lightning is there if you struggle with performance, so you'll have an option to turn it off if you want when flying in daytime.

Sounds confusing. :P

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Sounds confusing.

Ok, here I go again. If you wanna have night lightning in Orbx scenery you don't have to do anything...Ok.

If you wanna get a little better performance, you can click on the icon that says FTX Day wich will turn off all Orbx lightning....and if you wanna turn it on again just click on the other icon that is called FTX Night.

Comes in handy when flying in daytime as you don't see the lights at day so turning them off will give a little more FPS. My computer  can handle the lights so I never turn them off, and don't have too think a bout wether I forgot to turn the lights on and off before loading a flight...You see? or did I confuse you even more :P

Or maybe I misunderstood what you ment about lightning in your post?

I cant believe how much confusion there is over such a simple product and what it does.

Also REX as mention is a global texture replacement product as well since the sky, cloud, water, and airport textures it replaces are globally seen, but GEX and ORBX Global cover all the groung texturrs that make up the landscape which REX doesn't do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I would buy FTX global for xplane 10 if it were possible, in fact all their addons for xp10 would be wonderful. Sorry, FSX has reached the end for me, goodbye 32 bit and CTD's , hello 64 bit DX 11.

REX is a weather addon but im sure you mean GEX? :P  Where do they offer Global textures with GEX, as far as I can see on their product page is that it's split up in regions(9 regions total), and each region cost around 34$(some of them 44) so to get world GEX coverage you will have to get all the 9 regions and that will cost you around 300 bucks wich is an estimate, if I fine calculate it it will even get more expensive. 

I do not now to much on how much work that goes into this(but it's been almost 6 months sinse they announced it and having people working for six months costs money), and they also working on new textures that has never been seen before in any of their regions. But to add up, to have world coverage the alternative is GEX, and Orbx offer just the same, just far less expensive. And you say they have all the textures in their library and that customers that already bought FTX regions actually already have them(would be nice if they could give a discount to people that have all the regions, but I understand that it's after all a bisniz and they need to get food on the table just like the rest of us) But what about the people that don't have any FTX regions. Should they just be the nice santa claus and give all the work they done all these years away for free(people that don't have the regions even gets more value as it's packed with years of hard work to make all those textures).  

But if there is a global product that offer the same as this and costs less, please give me a link and i'll look into it.

No, I meant REX. REX replaces cloud, sky, runway, tarmac, water, etc textures, which are used in the sim globally. I use REX as an example because it is similar to GEX or FTX Global in that it replaces specific globally used textures (obviously it doesn't do scenery). I never said anywhere that REX is a replacement for FTX Global, but I guess that sentence was worded somewhat poorly. You have to remember that FSX itself didn't even cost much more than $50 if I remember correctly (FSX Gold). That includes planes, missions, and world-wide scenery. Granted, they aren't at a very high level of detail, but ACES still had to create a lot of the scenery from scratch from the data available. (lots of the textures for the landclasses are definitely new in FSX as FS2004 didn't support that resolution to my knowledge.) Because of the significant scenery engine update, redoing the scenery completely was the better option than just porting the FS9 scenery. And I did not say that customers already have the textures. What I mean is that Orbx has already created a lot of the textures for other smaller regions in the past, and they have them on hand when needed (I called it a library...I realize that conflicts with the meaning of the "Orbx Libs").

Brandon Filer

I would buy FTX global for xplane 10 if it were possible, in fact all their addons for xp10 would be wonderful. Sorry, FSX has reached the end for me, goodbye 32 bit and CTD's , hello 64 bit DX 11.

Well then I have bad news for you! X-Plane 10 is not DX11, it's OpenGL. You'll never get the features of DX11 in XP10. In fact, because Apple hasn't upgraded to the latest OpenGL standard, you may not get those features either, unless they do, because XP10 development is done on the MAC platform, and ported to Windows and Linux!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

And you don't think this is?

Really?

I've been keeping an eye on this on the FTX site forums from the moment it was announced months ago and I have to say that it's extremely impressive

Just take a look at all the screen shots and videos.

Just get rid of X-Plane10 and get Prepar3D.

It's a far better sim from the moment it comes out of the box.

I have both and prefer P3D to such an extent that X-Plane is now in the bin. (P3D v2.0 in November'ish)

Blackrat

ust get rid of X-Plane10 and get Prepar3D.

It's a far better sim from the moment it comes out of the box.

I have both and prefer P3D to such an extent that X-Plane is now in the bin. (P3D v2.0 in November'ish)

Look, I have an open mind with any new platform but will P3D v2.0 be much of an improvement over fsx and P3D scenery wise?

And also will it be a 64 bit app, will pmdg support it?

Look, I have an open mind with any new platform but will P3D v2.0 be much of an improvement over fsx and P3D scenery wise?

And also will it be a 64 bit app, will pmdg support it?

OK

No problem, I can only say it as I see it.

If you're happy with X-Plane then use X-Plane, it's a good enough sim.

Happy flying.

Blackrat

I never said anywhere that REX is a replacement for FTX Global, but I guess that sentence was worded somewhat poorly.

Guess I misunderstood you when you mention REX an compared what it cost....my bad

Anyway, what is available that do exactly the same as FTX Global? Yes there is GEX, and beetwen those to alternatives FTX Global is alot cheaper, and looks alot better(from my point of view)

Then maybe we can discuss wether 100$ is expensive or not, I don't think so considering what my alternative is, GEX With world coverage for around 300$.

My point is just that right now it's the best and cheapest alternative if one wanna get rid of those ugly looking default textures globally...

But we can agree to disagree

Look, I have an open mind with any new platform but will P3D v2.0 be much of an improvement over fsx and P3D scenery

I dont now about the default scenery that comes with Prepar3D, but If you have invested alot in FSX scenerys Prepar3d will be backwards compitable with FSX scenerys...So with that in mind, I certainly will go with Prepar3D when released because then I don't have to buy all that scenery all over again as I would if I choose X-plane as my next platform. And maybe I finnaly can run manhatten x with excellent performance because of better hardware support.

Regarding FS Altitude I was thinking the same way you do at first but I then decided to give it a try so I bought Western Europe and personally I'm very happy I did!

Sure...it's not the same high quality as you get with GEX for example of will get with FTX Global or any photo scenery covering only a small area but knowing what I see when looking out of the cockpit window is actaully the real ground as I would see it if I were in an aircraft at the same position IRL that to me compensates very well indeed for the lack of 100% sharpness and fact is when I compare to what I see when flying IRL you seldom get that 100% sharpness when cruising along at +FL300.

Then when I descend (or during climb) I have GEX which IMHO looks very good and realistic together with UTX so looking at how FS Altitude works where it will show you more and more the higher you go and in the same way let any other product like GEX or FTX Global kick in when at lower altitude without you having to do anything I find it a very good product for high flyers who want to see a shifting terrain like you never will be able to using products like GEX or FTX Global.

Just thought I would add my own experience for anyone else thinking about getting FS Altitude. It's actually a very nice product only if you know what you want and what you're looking for and also understand what to expect from the product and what it actually does.

Richard Åsberg

And you don't think this is?

Really?

I've been keeping an eye on this on the FTX site forums from the moment it was announced months ago and I have to say that it's extremely impressive

Just take a look at all the screen shots and videos.

Regarding FS Altitude I was thinking the same way you do at first but I then decided to give it a try so I bought Western Europe and personally I'm very happy I did!

Sure...it's not the same high quality as you get with GEX for example of will get with FTX Global or any photo scenery covering only a small area but knowing what I see when looking out of the cockpit window is actaully the real ground as I would see it if I were in an aircraft at the same position IRL that to me compensates very well indeed for the lack of 100% sharpness and fact is when I compare to what I see when flying IRL you seldom get that 100% sharpness when cruising along at +FL300.

Then when I descend (or during climb) I have GEX which IMHO looks very good and realistic together with UTX so looking at how FS Altitude works where it will show you more and more the higher you go and in the same way let any other product like GEX or FTX Global kick in when at lower altitude without you having to do anything I find it a very good product for high flyers who want to see a shifting terrain like you never will be able to using products like GEX or FTX Global.

Just thought I would add my own experience for anyone else thinking about getting FS Altitude. It's actually a very nice product only if you know what you want and what you're looking for and also understand what to expect from the product and what it actually does.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The truth is I am not comparing it to GEX and UTX, which I have as well. My comparison is to SimSavvy and Megascenery. I have looked at the screen shots on the FS Altitude website and they just look washed out and do not seem to provide the same quality. I will look at them again upon your suggestion. Do they offer a trial or region that you can test the scenery before buying? I know that SimSavvy does. I am open to it. It still does not however, solve the problem of a texture replacement for the rest of the world which to bring the thread full circle is what I am interested in. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg