Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Hand flying the TBM

I have not flown the Skycatcher in real life or FS. I am very familiar with it though.

My company was in the running to ship those things from China stateside.

It had some teething problems (not enough vert stab area) but it appears Cessna has it sorted.

Of all the LSA's I think the Remos GX and the new Cirius 3000 are the finest of the bunch.

I took my Sport Pilot Lessons in the Fantasy Air Allegro, Zenith 601, and the XAir H.  I stopped--the expense of finding a hangar is what stopped me, they just can't be found in Phoenix without a steep cost.  And you don't want to tie down a LSA given the fierce, 70 mph wind storms that we can have here in Phoenix.  But one day I will return to flying, probably GA.  My health and vision have improved and I have 20-20 corrected in my good eye.  My heart is in great shape for flying--due to a cycling regimen I keep up, my resting pulse is between 65 and 70--pretty good when you're in your 50's.

Once I get my GA ticket I will look for a fair condition 172 (better yet, a 177, my favorite Cessna) so I can take my wife and daughter and friends up with me (after I build up some time and become a better all around pilot).  My CFI wanted to solo me--he said I had excellent flying skills (aside from mauling the control stick), but the Allegro got booked solid and then summer hit.  I started shopping around for another LSA flight school, and couldn't find one.  I shopped for an LSA aircraft I could buy and train in, but since I weigh over 200# I could not find one with a useful load that would loft a CFI and myself, not on my budget, which was about 35K at the time.  That's why I am leaning toward a regular GA ticket now.  In a few weeks I will likely go up on a trial flight and see how things go from there.

John

Hey Cactus!

Yeah- the LSA thing being cheap never really panned out did it..

$100,000 + for a new bird.. Better to buy a used Cessna or Piper but that takes one out of the Sport Pilot rating.

Piper Cubs qualify though.

I envy you though living in the valley of the sun- we are considering relocating there.

Of all the LSA's I think the Remos GX and the new Cirius 3000 are the finest of the bunch.

Skully, is there an available FSX model you would recommend for either of those?

Skully, is there an available FSX model you would recommend for either of those?

I have not seen a model available for either- I think I spotted a Tecnam Sierra somewhere but I've not downloaded.

I wish someone would produce a good model of the Remos. That's a classy little bird with excellent performance and useful load for an LSA.

The best way I've found to replicate real world flying in these FS birds is to dial in some mild turbulence at all altitudes so your bouncing around up there.

It makes one have to constantly "fly" the aircraft to hold heading and altitude when hand flying.

I have not seen a model available for either- I think I spotted a Tecnam Sierra somewhere but I've not downloaded.

I wish someone would produce a good model of the Remos. That's a classy little bird with excellent performance and useful load for an LSA.

The best way I've found to replicate real world flying in these FS birds is to dial in some mild turbulence at all altitudes so your bouncing around up there.

It makes one have to constantly "fly" the aircraft to hold heading and altitude when hand flying.

I have an Allegro for FS9--a fellow simmer did the visual model, I modified it and added a VC, and I did the flight dynamics for it.  It handles much like the real one. 

I always dial in some chop in the sim--it makes hand flying fun and much more real.  I also dial in shifting wind speeds which adds even more to the experience.  It doesn't take much--just about 5-10 knots is perfect.  In Arizona, there wasn't a day I went flying without some chop.  I was taught to let the Allegro fly its way through it and taught to stay at or below maneuvering speed, even though the Allegro can fly some 20 kts faster.  My favorite training flight was over the Renaissance fair in Apache Junction.  We were flying about 5000 ft, and below us was a blimp.  It was just the perfect flight, well suited to train me to keep an eye on all types of traffic.  You never know what to expect. 

John

Biggest problem i have with this bird is lateral control on landing. Even with a boot-full of rudder I have trouble putting her down on the center line. I have the same problem with the Jet-Prop, and to a lesser extent, the C90.

Not sure where the problem in my technique is with these birds, I'm able to land my other frequent fliers with no problem (T210, PMDG NGX).

I have the same problem..  The rudder changes the direction that the nose points to, but the airplane continues

to fly the exact same heading.. Other airplanes in FSX behave differently.

Bert

I have the same problem..  The rudder changes the direction that the nose points to, but the airplane continues

...and I've been told off-line that the "other airplanes" may actually be the unrealistic ones, so I better

pay some attention to my piloting habits when on short final.  :blush:

Bert

well Skully seems to also think it's one of the most realistic "feeling" fde's in fs by the sound of his post above :-)

However, I could have sworn I can remember an actual TBM850 pilot who was in here a week or two ago who wasn't quite as impressed.

I have the same problem.. The rudder changes the direction that the nose points to, but the airplane continues

What should happen is that, when you apply the rudder it will yaw but then the wings should begin to roll and the airplane will turn. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

What should happen is that, when you apply the rudder it will yaw but then the wings should begin to roll and the airplane will turn. 

That is my understanding as well.  On this TBM, you can kick in full rudder in flight, the nose will move sideways, and the airplane will stay perfectly level.

If you then take pressure off the rudder, the nose will return to the exact position where it started.

Bert

an actual TBM850 pilot who was in here a week or two ago who wasn't quite as impressed.

Actually, he raved about the flying/FDE aspect... it was everything else that was unimpressive.

"*The aircraft flies and feels very similarly to the actual aircraft when hand flying.  Steep turns, stalls, and maneuvering feel accurate and the appropriate power settings give the expected flight profiles. " - Seth.

The aircraft is not unstable- I feel it's as good a representation as we can get of a real aircrafts flying qualities.

99% of FS birds fly like they're on rails.

The first time an FS enthusiast flys a real aircraft most are very surprised as to the "squirminess" (they might describe as instablity) of an aircraft moving through the air with turbulence etc. They actually have to "fly" the aircraft.

The Carenado TBM is a thrill to hand fly and the "feel" they've given the FDE is superb. As good as I've ever seen.

Yup, i remember the first time my instructor got me to do the takeoff, i was shocked at the amount of rudder i had to use to keep the darn thing straight, i wish more fsx aircraft did that

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

99% of FS birds fly like they're on rails.

My guess is that that's the combination of two things:

1.  The lack of turbulent air below the lowest cloud layer.  I'd love to see the wx software add a bit of bumpiness down there.

2.  I think the aircraft developers need to move the center reference point vertically just a bit to get a realistic instability.  Bernt Stolle would be the guy that would be able to talk about how he does it in his aircraft...especially the C182Q and C337.  They slide and move, requiring you to actually continually fly.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Biggest problem i have with this bird is lateral control on landing. Even with a boot-full of rudder I have trouble putting her down on the center line. I have the same problem with the Jet-Prop, and to a lesser extent, the C90.

Not sure where the problem in my technique is with these birds, I'm able to land my other frequent fliers with no problem (T210, PMDG NGX).

Received a PM from someone intimately familiar with Carenado FDE. He reminded me that the flightpath is controlled by the lift vector, rudder simply controls yaw. He's right, and I've been focusing on adding roll to maintain direction on landing, using the rudder to keep the nose straight. I think my technique is improving, and I appreciate the tip. The TBM is a whole different animal than the high-wing Cessnas I'm used to.

I'd love to see the wx software add a bit of bumpiness down there.

Then you should try FSGlobal Real weather combined with Accufeel2 turb and escpecially the "local weather effects" that has been coded into different approaches based on real world conditions(and they only happen when the wind are right for that kind of behavior). Have had countless hours of fun just trying to nail the Madeira approach and sometimes I find it very hard because of the crazy turbulence and wind shear at short final and just before touchdown. Not many airport has been coded like this yet but the list keeps growing...I spent a lot of time fixing the landing gears on the katana4x and A2A P51 the first times I tried the approach(sometimes I got virtually killed :P ).

Received a PM from someone intimately familiar with Carenado FDE. He reminded me that the flightpath is controlled by the lift vector, rudder simply controls yaw. He's right, and I've been focusing on adding roll to maintain direction on landing, using the rudder to keep the nose straight. I think my technique is improving, and I appreciate the tip. The TBM is a whole different animal than the high-wing Cessnas I'm used to.

I'm coming around to the same view - this is a different airplane, and maybe we should not be surprised that it handles

differently.  <_<

Bert