Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Hand flying the TBM

I'm finding the TBM quite "lively" and not easy to control during takeoff and landings..

So I've toned it down a bit - which makes it more forgiving.

Not sure how the real aircraft behaves, it is an Italian airplane after all ^_^

If you find it a handful.. try this:

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar     = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar   = 1.0
induced_drag_scalar    = 1.5
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness  = 0.8  //1.0
rudder_effectiveness   = 0.8  // 1.0
pitch_stability        = 1.0
roll_stability         = 1.1 // 1.0

Bert

Not sure how the real aircraft behaves, it is an Italian airplane after all ^_^

It's French not Italian.

Safe & smooth flying,

Clarke Ramsey

Kind of makes sense that she is responsive... it has both spoiler and alieron control.

The italian is the Avanti P180 II

An insanely fast and loud plane that you land at 120 kts because the wings are so tiny.

I'm not a huge fan of removing any sort of realism the fde may contain. Don't really see the point.

Yes she is a little lively as you say however the more you practice, the easier it becomes to tame the little beast.

Don't cop out and make it easier to fly. Get amongst it and challenge yourself.

I'm not a huge fan of removing any sort of realism the fde may contain. Don't really see the point.

Yes she is a little lively as you say however the more you practice, the easier it becomes to tame the little beast.

Don't cop out and make it easier to fly. Get amongst it and challenge yourself.

Agree with this big time. Harder planes to fly make easy planes to fly childs play.

Biggest problem i have with this bird is lateral control on landing. Even with a boot-full of rudder I have trouble putting her down on the center line. I have the same problem with the Jet-Prop, and to a lesser extent, the C90.

Not sure where the problem in my technique is with these birds, I'm able to land my other frequent fliers with no problem (T210, PMDG NGX).

I've been saying since day 1 of release that the plane tends to be somewhat unstable on approach and takeoff. While some positive rudder trim seems to help on takeoff, it's not quite as simple in the approach phase. It has some wild yawing tendencies, making slips quite challenging. I had posted back then that I toned down the rudder effectiveness to .8 (originally 1.0) which helped alot....but since the patch I have not touched it, only because I'd really like to know from a real TBM pilot which is more true to life for this plane (unstable yawing issues, or not?).

While all the flight reports/articles I've read say that it's a fantastic hand flyer...they also talk about how the rudder trim seems to be a big factor...so I'm left wondering what to do about making the edits again.

Would be nice if we could have a real 850 pilot chime in on this point.

Biggest problem i have with this bird is lateral control on landing. Even with a boot-full of rudder I have trouble putting her down on the center line. I have the same problem with the Jet-Prop, and to a lesser extent, the C90.

Not sure where the problem in my technique is with these birds, I'm able to land my other frequent fliers with no problem (T210, PMDG NGX).

I cant seem to keep this thing down the centerline after applying some reverse...... It acts like a twin not synched......yaws like a ######....

The aircraft is not unstable- I feel it's as good a representation as we can get of a real aircrafts flying qualities.

99% of FS birds fly like they're on rails.

The first time an FS enthusiast flys a real aircraft most are very surprised as to the "squirminess" (they might describe as instablity) of an aircraft moving through the air with turbulence etc. They actually have to "fly" the aircraft.

The Carenado TBM is a thrill to hand fly and the "feel" they've given the FDE is superb. As good as I've ever seen.

I find the same thing.  The TBM, especially in the roll axis, tends to rock back and forth and it is easy to overcorrect.  The best way to reduce that is to reduce the roll MOI and the yaw MOI, but it again raises the question of whether we're reducing the realism.  If the real TBM handles as modeled, then it's a wonderful challenge to hone our skills and experience different types of aircraft.

John

Interesting point, what is your real world flying background?

I've been flying privately since 1978-currently Sport Pilot- Remos GX

Time in:

C402

C414

C172

C152

Beech C-90

Piper Warrier

C182

Remos G3

RemosGX

Myers 145

Globe Swift

Vans RV-10

Those are the ones I can remember..

Time in:

C402

C414

C172

C152

Beech C-90

Piper Warrier

C182

Remos G3

RemosGX

Myers 145

Globe Swift

Vans RV-10

A sport pilot, ahah! Then you may be the perfect person for me to ask about the Skycatcher!

Have you flown in the 162? (either real of flight1's)...would be interested as to your thoughts on that one as it does not exhibit the same "squirminess"..

Time in:

C402

C414

C172

C152

Beech C-90

Piper Warrier

C182

Remos G3

RemosGX

Myers 145

Globe Swift

Vans RV-10

I took my Sport Pilot Lessons in the Fantasy Air Allegro, Zenith 601, and the XAir H.  I stopped--the expense of finding a hangar is what stopped me, they just can't be found in Phoenix without a steep cost.  And you don't want to tie down a LSA given the fierce, 70 mph wind storms that we can have here in Phoenix.  But one day I will return to flying, probably GA.  My health and vision have improved and I have 20-20 corrected in my good eye.  My heart is in great shape for flying--due to a cycling regimen I keep up, my resting pulse is between 65 and 70--pretty good when you're in your 50's.

Once I get my GA ticket I will look for a fair condition 172 (better yet, a 177, my favorite Cessna) so I can take my wife and daughter and friends up with me (after I build up some time and become a better all around pilot).  My CFI wanted to solo me--he said I had excellent flying skills (aside from mauling the control stick), but the Allegro got booked solid and then summer hit.  I started shopping around for another LSA flight school, and couldn't find one.  I shopped for an LSA aircraft I could buy and train in, but since I weigh over 200# I could not find one with a useful load that would loft a CFI and myself, not on my budget, which was about 35K at the time.  That's why I am leaning toward a regular GA ticket now.  In a few weeks I will likely go up on a trial flight and see how things go from there.

John