Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jman8910

one question... is RC worth it?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You will get more varied answers if you open your topic in a different forum ...    :rolleyes:

If you want ATC that's professional, easy to interface with, covering the whole world and available 7/24 - definitely yes!

I agree with Oliver's answer. And just to remind people I have no financial involvement at all with RC.

Except for when I'm beta testing I'm just an ordinary user like the rest of you.

I want good ATC, because I have gotten sick of the FSX ATC... however, I want to know if it is worth the money.

It's worth every penny. If you do buy RC4, be sure to download the Meatwater replacement voice packs from the AVSIM library - they are very well done and sound more realistic.

I don't like flying without RC4. It interacts well with AI, sounds professional, plus you will not find better support for a product than you will get here. JD and Ronzie are are quick to reply to any issues you might encounter. I used RC in FS9 and I still use it in P3D.

Todd

The only way to get better, more realistic ATC is to go to VATSIM.  Is it worth it??  Only you will be able to answer your own question, and I seem to detect more than a little belligerence in your (written) attitude.  It's as if you have, to some extent at least, already decided it is not.   Those of us who have purchased the program and learned to use it properly (understand, there is a definite learning curve) by reading the manual and following the training flights are, in general, well pleased.  I may be wrong on the following point but I do believe JD offers a 30 day refund (someone please correct me if this is wrong) if not satisfied.  But remember, this is all IMHO.  Is RC worth it??  That will be in your opinion.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion if you do decide to give RC an honest  and informed try--including learning to fly it properly.

The only way to get better, more realistic ATC is to go to VATSIM.  Is it worth it??  Only you will be able to answer your own question, and I seem to detect more than a little belligerence in your (written) attitude.  It's as if you have, to some extent at least, already decided it is not.   Those of us who have purchased the program and learned to use it properly (understand, there is a definite learning curve) by reading the manual and following the training flights are, in general, well pleased.  I may be wrong on the following point but I do believe JD offers a 30 day refund (someone please correct me if this is wrong) if not satisfied.  But remember, this is all IMHO.  Is RC worth it??  That will be in your opinion.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion if you do decide to give RC an honest  and informed try--including learning to fly it properly.

For what it's worth, I didn't detect one bit of belligerence in his questions.

It is an older product, (relative to some other ATC programs that have entered the market more recently), so it's fair and relevent to ask whether it's (still) worth the asking price.

You seem to have judged this guy as belligerent, and you've also decided he's likely not to use it 'properly' as you put it - both unfairly in my honest opionion.

===============

Ok, I use RC4 and although it has quirks, and there are some areas that other ATC programs do better, I still see it as the "best overall solution".

Free Meatwater voices are a must though!

You seem to have judged this guy as belligerent, and you've also decided he's likely not to use it 'properly' as you put it - both unfairly in my honest opionion.

Thanks for your well reasoned commentary, but I stand by my opinion, as you do yours :-)

Belligerence really is far-fetched - I think it's about reassurance. That's why the question got posted in the RC forum, I reckon.

RC is worth every penny, still the best 3d party ATC IMHO.

Does anybody have a good link to Meatwater's sound pack version 2?

Although I own Pro ATC/X, I wanted to ask a similar question. Pro ATC has its strengths, but the missing interaction with AI and the lack of voice control make me look for a possible alternative. Especially the latter feature (in conjunction with MCE) is what attracted me lately. I watched a few very promising videos of RC4 on YouTube. The phraseology seems to be quite spot on, so one can train talking to ATC between two online flights. Another possibility could be Vox ATC, since from my understanding, voice interaction with MCE should work with it too.

That being said, which one is easier to set up and better in terms of most realistic phraseology and flawless speech recognition? Vox ATC or RC4?

Looked at  PRO-ATC/X recently, looked hard, not impressed due to no AI interaction, also dont like voice reognition, that technology still not "there" yet IMHO.

But, BUT, RC development appears to be dead (this phantom RC5 is nowhere to be seen)  while PRO-ATC/X is still being actively developed.

As a note though, support for RC is still there, active, and stellar.

Belligerence really is far-fetched - I think it's about reassurance. That's why the question got posted in the RC forum, I reckon.

Perhaps a much better phrased (and more accurate??) reply??  However, I have to follow on with this:  How is it possible to offer much if any reassurance??  It's kind of like that "which airplane is right for me?" question.  How can we, the buying public offer much except our opinions--which may or may not prove valid in the case of the purchaser?? 

Jayman8910 is the only person who can decide if RC is "worth it" to him.  The manufacturer of the product, whether it be a flight sim model or Radar Contact is the only one who can offer to back his product with an offer of refund if not satisfied with its use and performance.  What I find to be intolerable may be a non-issue for the next pilot, and vice-versa.  I never, ever, buy Carenado airplanes for that reason while whole legions of others drool over the newest release.

My emphasizing "learned to use it properly" was directed to the fact that many purchasers seem unable to give the program the time needed to read and learn the manual and how to interact with the program in actual use.  There is indeed a definite learning curve and if the purchaser (any purchaser) is not willing to spend time moving along that curve then the program will indeed not be "worth it" to him.  None of us flew a sim model correctly the very first time we opened the very first flight sim program we purchased and none of us used RC correctly the first (or second, or third) time we opened that program either.  But we were willing to move along that learning curve and RC then became "worth it" to us.  Frankly I can't seem to start any flight at all without RC running.  Just buzzing around without any ATC  and not one voice out there seems totally a waste to me.  I even do those Sunday afternoon drives as filed IFR flights.

To me RC is totally worth it.

(...)

That being said, which one is easier to set up and better in terms of most realistic phraseology and flawless speech recognition? Vox ATC or RC4?

I haven't got a clue.   :P

Just like to name the only 'missing' ATC addon here: ProFlightEmulator.

Regarding 'one time' setup and interfacing 'per flight', RC is way easier than PFE. PFE, however, is more 'live' and has more voices and accents, packed into localized groups of controllers.

As stated above, my overall favourite is (still) RC4.3.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

Link please and thanx.

(...)

I haven't got a clue. :P

Just like to name the only 'missing' ATC addon here: ProFlightEmulator.

Regarding 'one time' setup and interfacing 'per flight', RC is way easier than PFE. PFE, however, is more 'live' and has more voices and accents, packed into localized groups of controllers.

As stated above, my overall favourite is (still) RC4.3.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

PFE is quite complicated to set up though.

The most important part for me would be the correct phraseology.

The videos I watched of RC interacting with MCE were quite impressing. The speech recognition of MCE is outstandingly good!

Is it true that RC doesn't assign any STARs or transitions?

Yes, but it does fully recognize them in a loaded flight plan.

Yes, but it does fully recognize them in a loaded flight plan.

Ok, that's good news. Will it refer to the single waypoints of the loaded STAR or will it tell me to use the STAR XYZ?

And the SID and active runway is assigned during clearance, according to wind and weather?

Link please and thanx.

Link here and you're welcome:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/406908-12-months/?p=2666424

Ok, that's good news. Will it refer to the single waypoints of the loaded STAR or will it tell me to use the STAR XYZ?

And the SID and active runway is assigned during clearance, according to wind and weather?

RC refers to the single WPs from your FP, that's what makes the STARs static - no changes according to wind.

BUT:

You can request different IAPs (published approaches), so RC won't bother if you fly a last-minute-change of your filed STAR.

Runways are assigned based on AI traffic (that's nearly like based on wind) but you can request different runways with different approaches, too.

Third option would be to activate NOTAMs ('hilly/mountainous region option') where ATC wouldn't bother neither about your flight track nor about your altitudes.

Link please and thanx.

Link here and you're welcome:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/406908-12-months/?p=2666424

RC refers to the single WPs from your FP, that's what makes the STARs static - no changes according to wind.

BUT:

You can request different IAPs (published approaches), so RC won't bother if you fly a last-minute-change of your filed STAR.

Runways are assigned based on AI traffic (that's nearly like based on wind) but you can request different runways with different approaches, too.

Third option would be to activate NOTAMs ('hilly/mountainous region option') where ATC wouldn't bother neither about your flight track nor about your altitudes.

Thanks a lot for that very detailed answer!

Are you by any chance running RC together with MCE? I hope that setup isn't too hard to do...

Last question, is it possible to run RC in a network through Wide FS or simconnect?

Thanks a lot for that very detailed answer!

Are you by any chance running RC together with MCE? I hope that setup isn't too hard to do...

Last question, is it possible to run RC in a network through Wide FS or simconnect?

Sorry, for me it's RC4.3 in conjunction with FlightDeckCompanion (talking of legacy products ...)

I never did that networked thing myself but I think this one could help:

http://jdtllc.com/documentation.htm

You're welcome!

wow,
thanks everyone for the info. it sounds like people like it. guess I am going to watch some youtube vids and figure it out!

by the way,  if you want a good VA with good staff, check out http://emeraldva.org/