Sign in to follow this  
MichaelMoe

Summer cooling for my FSX

Try being in Arizona when it's 110 degrees every single day in the summer... -.-

And in the winter seeing highs of 70s or even 80s... dreadful.

lol I will be there in July...I love the heat. I'll be happy to take a couple of months of +40C instead of 8 months of winter when it can be -40C

We're in the same province aren't we lol

The thing is with running a duct out your window you are effectively sucking the conditioned air from inside your house and dumping it to the outside( AKA throwing money out the window). Also without a booster fan in line with your PC I doubt you are moving much air, PC fans are not meant to be ducted and can't overcome the inherent static pressure required to push air through a flex duct.

You may not be raising the room temp with this setup but in reality it's not much cheaper than say buying a $65.00 window unit for your computer room. 

DoubleJ, where are you coming from?

CYYC.

I have a place in PHX

Yep, also recently experiencing blue screens here in what looks to be in direct proportion to the outside temperature.  Probably time to re-paste the processor, clean the gunk out, or reduce my overclock.  Or maybe it's time to start flying redeye flights at night, when it's cool.

DoubleJ, where are you coming from?

CYYC.

I have a place in PHX

Yup thought I could only be hearing the words of a fellow Albertan.

I'm up in Grande Prairie so I get what your saying about -40, or seasonal average as we call it.

Lee

I have some pics of my setup over on overclock. Net same username, and i suck in cold air through my cpu cooler and exhaust it through my gpus and back out side, keeps my room cool in the summer and warm in the winter. At - 40c i can get down to single didgets at 4.8ghz

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Try being in Arizona when it's 110 degrees every single day in the summer... -.-

And in the winter seeing highs of 70s or even 80s... dreadful.

Wow, that's hot. I think we in the UK often forget the sort of temperatures you guys have to contend with.

Having said that, if I transported my overclocked system to Arizona, I wouldn't have any issues.

My high end air cooler, at my overclock [3770K at 4.5] cools my CPU to 35C above ambient. So in Arizona's 40C weather, I would still be at 75 degrees, high, but a safe temperature.

The moral of the story, is to always consider Delta-T when deciding on your degree of overclock.

If you have hot summers, then you obviously need to overclock less.

After all, a few hundred MHz can be the difference between safe temps and excessive temps. And a few hundred MHz makes very little difference in terms of performance.

If you guys really want to go to town, and cool your CPU's below ambient, there's always the Hailea HC-500A Water Chillier...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2010/07/20/hailea-hc-500a-water-chiller-review/1

A water chiller is capable of reducing the temperature of the coolant passing through the loop below the ambient temperature of the room, thereby allowing you to overclock your  system further.

Were I live al you have to do is open a window and you can drop the room temp by 20 degree's C. Winter, up to 65*C temp differential between inside and outside.

I tried talking to the guys at Intel in Folsom and Santa Clara, CA about letting me live in one of their very nicely air-conditioned data centers during the summer so that my CPU can have an easier time.

They said no, and they looked at me funny.

So now I'm looking into installing one of these babies:

IMG_0081.jpg

The thing is with running a duct out your window you are effectively sucking the conditioned air from inside your house and dumping it to the outside( AKA throwing money out the window). Also without a booster fan in line with your PC I doubt you are moving much air, PC fans are not meant to be ducted and can't overcome the inherent static pressure required to push air through a flex duct.

You may not be raising the room temp with this setup but in reality it's not much cheaper than say buying a $65.00 window unit for your computer room. 

With the duct going out the room, i hardly need to use my a/c while using fsx, cause the duct takes hot air exhaust from PC outside the room. Thereby leaving the room cool.

Yes i had concern about pc fan and static pressure, that what put me off trying this for years. This FSx PC was first PC build ever. So went to town on fans and fan contollers with lots of temp sensors. 5 air in fans on top, 2 air in fans in front, and Noctua D14 3 fan setup as air exahust straight to duct and out the window. Trust me those fans push the flame out.

One of my favourite pass times during cruise is checking readins of about 10 temp sensors showing on 2 fan controlers, and feeling the flaming heat coming out the end of the duct out the window.

I had been considering trying water cooling, but once i tried this with duct from a/c on pc and it worked, i went out i bought duct just for pc that makes a tight fit to pc exhaust.

Also i do have a/c and for years its how i solved this problem in summer, but its loud, and the smell of PC parts coming into the room when PC is really hot is not very nice, this happens sometimes taking off, or when using high time accell in fsx.

And if it gets too hot, ill turn a/c on with both a/c and pc ducts out the window. Remember the cool air in room goes in pc, its heated, and passed out the room window, works perfectly, and have not needed a/c once this year to solve heat issue for fsx.

Never going water after cooling after this, in winter i just point the duct back in and i get very clean hot air, cause the pc got quite fine air filters that stcik on with magnetic strip. cause i never clean inside pc, too much hassle. [QuitePC.com check them out for rare pc stuff]

Air Duct beats water cooling wihtout duct. If you got descent air pressure.

And not all of us have central air, i have yet to meet another Canadian that has central air, and i met alot in my last job doing furnace installs.

I was at a building once that had water cooling for their old mainframes. It was open loop that pumped out to a huge pond outside, sprayed up in a fountain to aerate it. Cool stuff.

And not all of us have central air, i have yet to meet another Canadian that has central air, and i met alot in my last job doing furnace installs.

why do you need central air conditioning, portable a/c will do fsx in summer