Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

How is a real world take off done

It seems I have two options for a "real world" take off ( PMDG-737 )

a) Advance throttle to 40 % N1 and then press TOGA.

b) Just advance the throttle compeletly forward and not pressing TOGA

Both methods work and I now wonder what method is used in the real world ?

Hubert Werni

Herbert Werni

You advance the throttles, ensure both engines have equally stabilised, then either apply the correct take off thrust yourself or more commenly set toga and allow the automatics to set the correct take off thrust.

Rob Prest

Set 40% N1 and let it stabilize, then apply T/O thrust via A/T or manually.

Matt Cee

If in dout, flat out ™ :biggrin:

Never had to use it but liked the idea of the over boost on the MD11. If the situation called for it slam the throttles full through the over boost bar, FADECS get disconnected and the engines will give you all the thrust it is capable of until it explodes.

Edit - After reading this online I'm not too sure about my previous comment :/

http://www.37000feet.com/report/941959/MD11-relief-pilot-describes-a-botched-go-around-initiated-just-prior-to

Rob Prest

Edit - After reading this online I'm not too sure about my previous comment :/

I may be reading it differently (or missing something), but I don't see how it contradicts what you said.

Kyle Rodgers

I decided to check how many overboost incidents have actually occurred, ended up finding incidents where it's use has caused more trouble then good.

That incident was a perfect example of when not to use overboost. Pure chaos, all they needed to do was go TOGA, instead they ended up with no auto throttle, an altitude bust, flap speed exceeded and a hefty maintenance bill on all three engines.

Rob Prest

Every airline has their own procedures. The pilot I talked to a lot while writing the tutorial used 40% as the stabilization N1 at his airline. I've heard of some using 60% as well. I'm pretty sure it is standard everywhere to stabilize at some intermediate setting first though - in real life if one of the engines had issues you'd want to know first before applying takeoff power.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

% may also vary with runway length and airport or airline regulation. In SBRJ (Rio de Janeiro) it is 70% with brakes applied, then release and TOGA.

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg

I was wondering how many of the above are RW 737 drivers. I am not, but I do not believe normal procedure is ever to firewall the throttle for takeoff for any airline. It puts too much stress on the engines at the most critical phase of flight. If this is incorrect will a RW 737 driver please chime in and correct me. 

Thanks,

Ron