Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul12

Error message GlideSlope

I did the flight London,Gatwick to Amsterdam according to the PMDG tutorial and verything went fine.

After that I made a flight plan Zurich-Geneva and performed the flight as described in the above

tutorial.

To my surprise I get a message "glide slope,glide slope" prior to touchdown.This is an autoland.

Does anybody have an idea how to get rid of this message and what the cause could be ?

Sincerely

H.Werni

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

.......and how were you positioned on the glideslope ?

Peter

.......and how were you positioned on the glideslope ?

Peter

Don't quite understand the question.How can I see how I am positioned on the glideslope ?

Herbert

How can I see how I am positioned on the glideslope ?

The glideslope indicator on the PFD.  Oage 470 of the FCOM (v2), pointer #3.

The glideslope indicator on the PFD.  Oage 470 of the FCOM (v2), pointer #3.

Thanks.Good info.I know one should study and understand the manuals before flying.Unfortunately that

could take years...

The manuals are there for reference.  All I did was hit CTRL+F and search for "glide" so that I could find a picture of it for you.

...but it seems that you're in the wrong subforum.  AMS-ZUR is the tutorial for the MD-11, not the NGX.  This is the NGX subforum, so that's why I just gave you a reference to the NGX manual.  I'd have to find a reference in the MD-11 manual to show you a more accurate picture.

You should not receive this error if you are flying the approach properly (or following the tutorial to the letter).  A screenshot of what you're doing would be immensely helpful.

AMS-ZUR is the tutorial for the MD-11, not the NGX.

I think he is flying the NGX, LGW-AMS followed by ZRH-GVA is not the same as AMS-ZRH.

What I think he meant was that he used the techniques as described in the tutorial (LGW-AMS) to fly from ZRH-GVA.

I think he is flying the NGX, LGW-AMS followed by ZRH-GVA is not the same as AMS-ZRH.

What I think he meant was that he used the techniques as described in the tutorial (LGW-AMS) to fly from ZRH-GVA.

That's right.

What was your speed on G/S interception? If it's too high, there's a chance the NGX can't follow the G/S correctly.

Speed was 200 knots which should be ok.

WHat was your altitude when you intercepted the glideslope?  Was the magenta bar above or below the glideslope when you intercepted it?  You have to intercept the glideslope from below the indicator?  A photo would be a real help.

Rob

200 kias is too fast. You should be aiming for 160 at GS capture.

Peter

200 kias is too fast. You should be aiming for 160 at GS capture.

Peter

On the tutorial flight London Gatwick to Amsterdam ( Tutorial #1 ) the G/S is also captured at 200 + knots

and there is no problem.

On my flight Zurich-Geneva all parameters are the same as Gatwick to Amsterdam.( Fuel,cargo,

flaps etc etc ) Everything goes well to between 50 to 100 feet before the Geneva rwy and then

comes the message glide slope,glide slope

A screenshot pls. from exactly that situation - 100 ft AGL. PFD and FMA clearly visible.

Attached is a screen shot at the moment I get the glide slope message.In the mean time I did a ILS landing on

the opposite side of the rwy ( rwy 05 ) without any problem.

But to rwy 23 I cannot make it work.I also noticed that the speed is not coming down fast enough and gets stuck

at 225 knots.Sometimes I wonder if it is a computer problem.

Attached is a screen shot at the moment I get the glide slope message.In the mean time I did a ILS landing on

the opposite side of the rwy ( rwy 05 ) without any problem.

But to rwy 23 I cannot make it work.I also noticed that the speed is not coming down fast enough and gets stuck

at 225 knots.Sometimes I wonder if it is a computer problem.

I'm not exactly sure, but your screenshot shows you're on a G/P (glidepath) and not on an ILS. On an ILS the FMA would show G/S (glideslope) instead of G/P.

I'd try the approach again, make sure I select the ILS type of approach in the CDU and set both NAV receivers to the ILS frequency.

I'm not exactly sure, but your screenshot shows you're on a G/P (glidepath) and not on an ILS. On an ILS the FMA would show G/S (glideslope) instead of G/P.

I'd try the approach again, make sure I select the ILS type of approach in the CDU and set both NAV receivers to the ILS frequency.

I will try again but is is strange that it works from Gatwick to Amsterdam with the same settings.

Next question: I do not know if you do some simulator flying and if so,I wonder if you could do this

short,30 min flight and see what kind of results you get.

If so I could send you my flight plan and the CDU settings.

In the mean time I did a ILS landing[ ...[

ILS approach to autoland.

Sorry, but after this last Asiana accident, I'm trying to kill this idea that ILS is required for landings and pilots are reliant on it as such.

I might try your flight this evening (CEST).

Can you check your LSGG scenery in FSX to find out whether there's only a LOC signal or also a G/S signal for rwy23?

From the charts it looks like a full ILS but I'm not sure whether the G/S was there already when FSX was released or whether it was added later. If you have an addon LSGG it's probably the full ILS anyway.

ILS approach to autoland.

Sorry, but after this last Asiana accident, I'm trying to kill this idea that ILS is required for landings and pilots are reliant on it as such.

Sadly enough, it looks like too many RW pilots can't get along without the ILS indications. With cheaper tickets, cheaper airlines and cheaper pilots/pilot training the advantage of RW pilots over armchair "pilots" is decreasing ...

Next question: I do not know if you do some simulator flying and if so,I wonder if you could do this short,30 min flight and see what kind of results you get.

I forgot to add this into my last post:

I'll give it a shot in a few when I get a break.

Sadly enough, it looks like too many RW pilots rely on the ILS indications. With cheaper tickets, cheaper airlines and cheaper pilots/pilot training the advantage of RW pilots over armchair "pilots" is decreasing ...

Not sure where the cheaper training you're referring to is, but I'm assuming you're referring to airlines sending their guys over here to the pilot mills for grooming and certificates at whatever cost.  I'll agree with that.

While I'm convinced there's a little over reliance on automation, I really don't think people are that reliant on ILS as much as the simmers/public are lead to believe.  Heck, if I was, I'd be dead.  The runway I land on most has no instrument guidance, and the PAPI was out for about a year (and I flew a ton that year).  I know the airline guys will tune it in for the extra backup if it's available (and because controllers will also occasionally use the LOC as an aid in stacking visual approaches), but I really don't think reliance is the right word...yet...

...or perhaps this is me:

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Carry on...haha.

I will try again but is is strange that it works from Gatwick to Amsterdam with the same settings.

Next question: I do not know if you do some simulator flying and if so,I wonder if you could do this

short,30 min flight and see what kind of results you get.

If so I could send you my flight plan and the CDU settings.

I would have a read through this thread which covers a similar issue and may answer your question:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/348034-ian-approach/

I will have a go at the flight this evening and see what happens.

Cheers

Paul

Just did  the  flight  and had no troubles

4x8ec.jpg

Just did  the  flight  and had no troubles

4x8ec.jpg

Here are my data for this flight:

Departure: LSZH,rwy 32,SID Wil2M

Arrival:      LSGG,Star Ulme1R,ILS23,Trans: SPR Frequency : 109.9  / 225

Fuel: 1/3  Cargo: 1500 lbs in front and 1500 lbs at back

FuelRes: 5  CostIndex : 25  Alt  14000

Take off: Flaps 5  Landing : Flaps 30  Trim 4.45

Glideslope intercept at 7000 feet ( See Navigraph chart )

Weather : Used Defined,no winds

Your airport scenery is different, Pete( r ). Any possibility the G/S is not in the default scenery, but in the addon airport only?