Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Why don't piston planes have mufflers?

Uh... you did mean this to be a joke, right? Right?

No joke. If you want to continue to use an airfield you comply with ist regulations.

Lol if they hate hearing the sound of a Piper Cub landing, they must have really hated this Merlin symphony (with a few Griffons too)...

Of course they do. What you completely fail to understand that even though you may all noise a "symphony" , the vast majority of the population have no interest in aviation and regard aircraft noise simply as a nuisance to be eliminated.. Being the majority their views will be more influential than those than yours, so don't complain if your irresponsible attitude results in restrictions on or even closures of airfields.

No joke. If you want to continue to use an airfield you comply with ist regulations.

Sorry. It's impossible to take such a statement seriously.  You're either joking, or trying to provoke reaction for its own sake.

Either way, I'll leave you to it.

Scott

This is the funniest thread I've read in awhile.

Those Spitfires were part of the 70th anniversary flyover honoring the Battle of Britain. If that is a nuisance, then I have no words. The last time I visited England, I made a point to visit Duxford and see the amazing collection of planes there. The next time I go, I will make sure to visit Duxford again.  I will be damn sure to donate so these Spitfires can continue to be a 'nuisance'. For the folks who complain about it, I sure hope they don't enjoy any sort of hobby that involves a reasonable volume of noise.

Is it really the vast majority or really a few who just talk loudly and complain a lot? Here in the US, most towns with airports have great relationships with their airports, as long as standard regulations are adhered to. Petaluma, which is close to where I live now, has a fairly active uncontrolled airport that is bordered by subdivisions. The airport and town have a fine relationship. There are noise abatements in place, but they are very reasonable. When the airport host it's yearly airshow/carshow, it is always packed, people enjoy seeing the old planes and cars. Airshows here tend to draw large crowds too, so I don't think the vast majority of people hate airplane noise. Certainly not your average GA traffic that is quieter than every day urban noise

I think there are a loud few who do complain sometimes. Sometimes they make unreasonable demands like Sedona. Even there if you read the full noise abatment notice, it does now say aircraft are to operate into the wind. They must have had a few close calls. Sedona could not afford to loose it's airport as it does bring in a large chunk of tourist dollars.

Yeah, who knew that landings were optional!  :lol:

Scott

hey they say every landing you can walk away from is a good landing LOL

The primary reason is you aren't hearing the engine when an airplane is flying by - you're hearing the propeller going through the air.  A propeller cutting through the air at operating RPM is much louder than any engine ever would be.  Having a muffler doesn't provide any real benefit to an airplane.

hey they say every landing you can walk away from is a good landing LOL

Just remember - to reach the highest standards in aviation, you need to be able to use the words "safety" and "spurious" in the same breath.

LOL yeah

well just realized why should I have to wait until I visit Duxford again to donate....I just went to Duxford War Museum's website and happily donated a few bucks.  Here's to keeping that Merlin symphony music flying forever!   :lol:  B)   Guess I am really irresponsible now since this must make me no different than the kids who blare their car stereos around the neighborhood. :Big Grin:

Cheers

TJ

...this must make me no different than the kids who blare their car stereos around the neighborhood...

It was important to be reminded that pilots should violate their personal minimums because of psychological pressure from other pilots who have social and political agendas.  I remember Dick Collins writing about that in Flying all the time.... B)

Hey VB I think I got it; because they don't have ears to keep warm? :D

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I must have got ripped off then, because at a recent maintenance inspection on my aircraft I was charged $300 for repair of the muffler.

David Porrett

Yeah, who knew that landings were optional!

Sorry. It's impossible to take such a statement seriously.

In the UK there is no right to land at an aerodrome - even if it has a public licence. The operator's consent is always needed and that can be withdrawn. Operators have withdrawn that consent in a number of individual cases following breaches of their regulations.

most towns with airports have great relationships with their airports, as long as standard regulations are adhered to.

That is, of course, my point and I'm pleased you've seen it at last..

Pilots who chose not to adhere to the regulations damage those good relations which may have taken years to build. As a result they can jeopardise the future development or even existence of the airfield - especially small privately owned ones.

In the UK there is no right to land at an aerodrome - even if it has a public licence. The operator's consent is always needed and that can be withdrawn.

Operators have withdrawn that consent in a number of individual cases following breaches of their regulations.

most towns with airports have great relationships with their airports, as long as standard regulations are adhered to.

I must have got ripped off then, because at a recent maintenance inspection on my aircraft I was charged $300 for repair of the muffler.

What model of plane? Just wondering, since there could be one or two cabin heat muffs, in addition to a carb heat muff, under the cowl. But they're muffs, not mufflers.

Exhausts aren't really an insignificant cost - a tuned exhaust for my plane is 5K plus installation - basic 180 HP fixed gear...

Ain't nuth'n cheap in aviation...

:)

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7