Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

Performance and PBN

Have been wondering for some time whether we'd see a PMDG developed performance tool for PMDG developed aircraft, based specifically on the data used to build your products; something similar to Boeing's OPT.

Also wondering if PMDG intend to implement full PBN capability.

Brian Nellis.

Brian Nellis

PMDG developed performance tool for PMDG developed aircraft, based specifically on the data used to build your products;

I thought performance information is proprietary information and that's why the performance manuals weren't/aren't released.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I heard that TOPCAT's dev. team is going to release an update to their 737 performance data and also add the 777-200LR data when PFPX comes out next month.

Btw, why when three sevens are typed in sequence a link to the top of the page is automaticaly generated (like just happened above)?

Matheus Mafra

I thought performance information is proprietary information and that's why the performance manuals weren't/aren't released.

Yes, that information would be proprietary. I don't think that means PMDG, I say again, PMDG can't make a tool from the information released to them... much like TOPCAT. I'd say it depends on the agreement between PMDG and Boeing.

I cant see an issue, as you and I won't see the data from which performance calculations would be derived.

Brian.

I heard that TOPCAT's dev. team is going to release an update to their 737 performance data and also add the 777-200LR data when PFPX comes out next month.

EDIT: Why when three sevens are typed in sequence a link to the top of the page is automaticaly generated (like just happened above)?

Problem with that is, the data wouldn't belong to the NGX. So the performance calculations would be rather generic, so to speak, rather than being specific to the NGX.

Brian.

Brian Nellis

Problem with that is, the data wouldn't belong to the NGX. So the performance calculations would be rather generic, so to speak, rather than being specific to the NGX.

Brian.

Why is that a problem? A 737 is a 737; if both plane and performance calculator are modelled correctly then they'll work fine together.

They will work fine together, minus the precision you expect when using a PMDG aircraft. The figures would be ball park figures than if the data from PMDG were to be used. No two aircraft are the same... which means the data won't be the same... a lesson I learnt from the NG in the real world.

Brian Nellis.

Brian Nellis

-NGX performance adheres to a certain dataset to an extent of, say, 99,5%.

-Any PMDG OPT would adhere to the very same dataset, to the extent of, say, 99.9%.

Would you consider those 0,6% maximum difference inadequate?

And I would even venture to say that NGX performance could be closer than that.

Is that your assumption or do you have references to back your statement? I think the matter is too complex to accept 'close enough is good enough'.

Brian.

Brian Nellis

The figures would be ball park figures than if the data from PMDG were to be used. No two aircraft are the same... which means the data won't be the same...

Brian Nellis.

PMDG data is Boeing data, and there are not two of those. If TOPCAT uses real world data as reference, then their calculations will be spot on with the NGX's performance - or any real 737, for that matter, but of course no one will use a simulation tool in a real airplane  :Straight Face:  :Thinking:

Just to make it clear, even though It would be nice to have a performance tool made by PMDG themselves, it is highly unlikely to happen (but who knows  :rolleyes:). That's why I'm "defending" TOPCAT here.

Edited by barfra1995

Matheus Mafra

I wouldn't slate the OP so much guys, I think he asked an intelligent question.

I would love a pmdg only performance manager, but I don't know if it will be implemented.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

They will work fine together, minus the precision you expect when using a PMDG aircraft. The figures would be ball park figures than if the data from PMDG were to be used. No two aircraft are the same... which means the data won't be the same... a lesson I learnt from the NG in the real world.

Brian Nellis.

True, but then again weights for passengers assume a standard person, so you'll never have absolute precision in reality or simulator.

Does it really matter if we're a % off?

It is quite possible to make the Sim "more" accurate (as far as loading goes) than any real life operator could ever possibly hope to be.

Every "sim" passenger weighs exactly the same. There are no "Fat" sim passengers, and no Peter Dinklage's either.

On the other matter. PBN...

My understanding of PBN comes from this and similar documents:

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100178/pbn-booklet.pdf

Is that the acronym we are using when we say PBN?

If so, the NGX already has PBN. an accuratley simulated PBN based on GNSS/GPS, IRS and interfaced via the CDU and Nav displays.

Or are you referring to a different acronym?

Is that your assumption or do you have references to back your statement? I think the matter is too complex to accept 'close enough is good enough'.

Brian.

As Matheus said,

PMDG = Boeing data

TOPCAT = Boeing data

Plenty good enough.