Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff Nielsen

Curious to see how many online FSX users

Do you fly FSX long hauls online with add-ons  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been successful in flying FSX long hauls online (VATSIM or IVAO) using multiple add-ons?

Just curious to see how many are actually able to fly long haul in an online environment using add-on aircraft, scenery, and other external enhancements like weather engines, etc.

**Edit**  Feel free to leave your comments and which add-ons you use in the replies.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You mean like Vatsim/IVAO or fsx multiplayer?

I fly long haul on vatsim often, with all the stuff you mentioned, REX, Weather, scenery, everything....

As of 3 minutes ago from the 2013 Demographics Survey. Poll of 1,361 respondants to this question; "Are you a member of an online flight organization such as IVAO and VATSIM?"

Thanks for the graphic Tom.  I was trying to drill down a bit and see if people were actually successful in their flights or if they were just crashing along the way. 

I would have thought more people were actually members and just not actively participating.

Very interesting to see more people are not members.

Thanks for the graphic Tom. I was trying to drill down a bit and see if people were actually successful in their flights or if they were just crashing along the way.

I would have thought more people were actually members and just not actively participating.

I don't get crashes from doing long haul flights

No problems, 3-9 hours on Vatsim with the MD-11 and NGX, with FS Global Real Weather, SB4, company ACARS, Aivlasoft EFB etc.

The key is networking, all addons including SB4 are running on a laptop networked to my FSX rig with Simconnect/WideFS. Not a single issue during my last 500 hours of online flight.

No problems, 3-9 hours on Vatsim with the MD-11 and NGX, with FS Global Real Weather, SB4, company ACARS, Aivlasoft EFB etc.

The key is networking, all addons including SB4 are running on a laptop networked to my FSX rig with Simconnect/WideFS. Not a single issue during my last 500 hours of online flight.

Thanks for that insight...networking and not just extended desktop on the second pc?

True networking yes, cables via a router, static IP on both computers. It is a new world to discover, I went totally bonkers with running weather and SB4 on my FSX rig. Never knew what would happen next... CTD's, stutters, unresponsiveness.

I used to try to fly online (participated in 3 cross the pond events) but I would always end up with fatal errors or OOM even when I thought I had fixed them  :/ 

True networking yes, cables via a router, static IP on both computers. It is a new world to discover, I went totally bonkers with running weather and SB4 on my FSX rig. Never new what would happen next... CTD's, stutters, unresponsiveness.

:good:

30 - 35% membership with the various organizations has been pretty consistent across the years and demographic polls.

True networking yes, cables via a router, static IP on both computers. It is a new world to discover, I went totally bonkers with running weather and SB4 on my FSX rig. Never knew what would happen next... CTD's, stutters, unresponsiveness.

:good:

I don't see the appeal. Anything longer than about 30 mins in the cruise and I get bored. That rules me out of flights longer than about 70 minutes. Thankfully within Europe that gives plenty of scope.

2-3 hours is long haul for me, infact more than 2-3 hours with a headset on during  a busy Vatsim/Ivao   event is enough, anymore than that makes it seem more like hard work and less of a hobby.

36% online with Vatsim/Ivao is staggeringly low for simmers in my opinion, i believe there should be more efforts to promote these organisations from Avism because  flight simming is pretty dull without live interaction, Vatsim especially has very professional events which im sure once tried means most simmers would be hooked.

Vatsim and Ivao are freeware, it's the best upgrade going for flight simming , this real as it gets ATC is free. you can always download the software, park up at an airport and observe without ever doing a flight or talking to anyone.

Give it a go, Ivao software is easy to work with , Vatsim needs more paitence.

36% online with Vatsim/Ivao is staggeringly low

That is the number that belong to an online community. The amount that use it on a continuous basis is even considerably lower. There are 300 pilots online a given time. How many people are flying using FS in the world offline at a given time?

Well I usually notice more then 300 pilots, but I know what you mean..at peak times or during large events it can be quite busy though.

I know what  the numbers online are at different   times during the day , you can use dolomynum to show the figures with both Ivao and vatsim and they are pretty consistent  to the point that there is really no need to to check because they are so similar day in day out and that is way too low.

online networks need more members that's for sure and if 65% of Avsim members and that  probably means about 65% of all simmers  are not online members then i think they should give it a go,

Everybody is searching for real as it gets, realism, realism and more realism in every product , in my opinion the biggest plus point of flight simming is Vatsim/Ivao and the most real becasue it's live interaction and for this to be  ignored or  unkown to two thirds of simmers especially as its free is staggering and a shame.

Always online.
With PMDG, Level-D, AXE, AS2012, REX, Maddog, Majestic, etc,
Anything from 1 to 15 hours.
Never have problems.

Every flight I do is on vatsim. Can speak highly enough of it.

I do get ctd's every now and then, but I plan on reformatting my laptop back to W7, and networking it and my rig together to fix this.

Also, running SB outside of FSX is a good idea as well and is what I do now. Usy when I get a ctd, it's not SB or vatsim, but rather something like the aircraft I might be in. The king air crashed the sim on me twice last night.

Thanks to everyone for participating and the replies.  Some interesting insight.

Truth is I haven't even loaded the sim in well over a year.  I need to do a re-install, but just can't bring myself to do it.  I may do it after my next pc build some time next year and leave out Ultimate Terrain.  It also seems like ATI and Sound Blaster have finally got their acts together for the most part when it comes to drivers and such.

It looks like the poll is about half and half.  Everyone seems to have their own reasons, but CTDs don't seem to be an overwhelming reason.

Thanks again everyone!

I don't understand how people can get the most realistic addons, and try to be as realistic as possible and not fly on Vatsim, doesn't make sense to me

I fly Vatsim using PMDG and ASE. Fly about 80 hours a month with longest legs about 6-8 hours. No problems.

Billy Bluestar