Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Some GEX - FTX Global comparisons

The Thames and Thames estuary in the 2nd and 3rd shots don't look green to you? They certainly do here. Contrast with the sea further away from the Estuary in the 3rd shot. I can accept a brownish colour for the Thames (as I used to have), but the green tinge looks really wrong I'm afraid.

Pete

Sorry Pete - no they don't. There is a difference against the sea, but if anything, the Thames looks grey, with maybe (just maybe) a very slight greenish tinge. The reservoirs look positively blue though.

This is on my laptop, which is not my main FS system, and hasn't been calibrated in any way. I even brought it into a dark room to check my perception was not being affected by sunlight.

The Thames and other inland water areas on my GEX/FEX/UTX system are very definitely (and deliberately) brown or brownish. I really don't want to lose that.

Autogen etc. is full right, so extremely dense.

Concerning UTX: I will check it once more LOL I have never disabled and enabled stuff in the scenery library as I did the last few days LOL. I will get back on it.

EDIT Checked: the screenshot is without UTX indeed. With UTX you will see industrial terrain near that bridge. The roads and bridge etc. are default FSX.

There really are greenish here too! Pity I can't easily go back to FSX default to check it out...

OK - I typically run Very Dense, so that may make a difference.

(PS I don't  want to go OT on a UTX debate, but when I disable all roads in UTX those approach roads to the QE2 bridge disappear. In fact on my setup, I don't see any roads at all that aren't part of the texture tiles. Curious.)

The Thames and other inland water areas on my GEX/FEX/UTX system are very definitely (and deliberately) brown or brownish. I really don't want to lose that.

Well, it seems somehowe everyone who owns FTXG is getting greenish water... and it has nothing to do with FTXG according to Orbx, which leaves us with a problem for now.

And btw on my screen the water is indeed greenish too so you might want to check the screenshots again on your main FS system. ^_^

well I can maybe throw another wrinkle in.  I noticed greener than natural water in my setup... before installing FTXG.  I actually was attributing this to the FSWC lite DX10 water shader I installed when I went dx10, but I'm not sure.  I hadn't been bothered enough to fix it yet, but it does look a bit unnatural.  I think our two possibilities are either FSWC lite shader,  or UTX, which does alter the waterclass?

Some time ago I too had the greenish water issue and really couldn't pinpoint what caused it. My fix was to play with the colour tones in REX and this fixed the problem for me. I'm running with the latest shaders for DX10 but know that it wasn't them which caused the green algae invasion.

Out of interest - is there anyone out there not running REX (I use FEX) who is seeing green water with FTXG ?

Jan - FYI someone posted some pix over on another thread taken from a lower altitude, and the water in them looks green to me too.

Well, I've tried all kinds of combinations with the landclass and waterclass and what not but I can't get rid of the greenish water. The stupid thing is that I have no clue at all if it isn't simply as it's supposed to be LOL because I only started looking at it closely when I read posts about it. ^_^

I do use REX but I have never ever let it fool around with my water. Only skies and clouds.

Great shots Jeroen!

I really appreciate it and hats off to ORBX!

How do you like the night lights? Looking at the screenies and compared to anything else I've tried, to me this is almost worth the upgrade alone.

If you can take any more request (oh please) can you please take a few of Webster NY and the airport +downtown area flying out of KROC?

Would also be great to see what this has done to the Niagra-Falls area.

Gracias!

Here is (I hope) downtown near KROC. I have no clue if this is Webster NY or if that's another city... and if you wanted a picture of KROC itself...? And what airport is near Niagra-Falls? (I don't think I have anymore time to take and upload more shots today, but if you can give me some more information, I will try to do it tomorrow.)

9395869284_108de8343b_o.jpg

9393100305_ede70d68c8_o.jpg

9395868420_aa50f55d04_o.jpg

EDIT

Oh, wait, there is an airport called Niagra Falls... ;) I suppose you want to see the Niagra Falls itself...? All these shots are FSX with FTXG and nothing more (apart from REX sky and clouds).

9393158967_1d519e4bf6_o.jpg

9393158495_937432d55b_o.jpg

Hi Jan - very many thanks for these. Q: what are your autogen /complexity settings in these ?

Also, you say you have UTX disabled, yet I believe I see UTX roads in the shot of the QE2 bridge over the Thames ?

Nope those are default roads, Global installs new default road textures which is probably what made you think those were UTX roads. :)

Here is (I hope) downtown near KROC. I have no clue if this is Webster NY or if that's another city... and if you wanted a picture of KROC itself...? And what airport is near Niagra-Falls? (I don't think I have anymore time to take and upload more shots today, but if you can give me some more information, I will try to do it tomorrow.)

Awesome! Thanks really so much!

If you could do one more it would be just a look from the Airport (KROC) heading south, always was way to much "desert" texture, but that's up to you.

I might suggest a few in other seasons as well, I dont think anyone has done that, Winter, Fall etc would be interested in what ORBX has achieved there.

Really Thanks!

Gonna buy as soon as the budget lady says I can. Please budget lady please!

Nope those are default roads, Global installs new default road textures which is probably what made you think those were UTX roads. :)

Oh - I got it figured. I don't see the FSX default roads on my setup because UTX removes them. And I don't see UTX roads because I have them all disabled.  :rolleyes: Doh. Sorry for the confusion. Now back on topic.

Awesome! Thanks really so much!

If you could do one more it would be just a look from the Airport (KROC) heading south, always was way to much "desert" texture, but that's up to you.

I might suggest a few in other seasons as well, I dont think anyone has done that, Winter, Fall etc would be interested in what ORBX has achieved there.

Really Thanks!

Gonna buy as soon as the budget lady says I can. Please budget lady please!

Above KROC (which you can see at the bottom), looking south.

Summer

9400344848_b498d8e716_o.jpg

Fall

9397579239_5ec9edfa1f_o.jpg

Winter

9400344604_12b7348a04_o.jpg

Spring

9397578961_dcf7aee254_o.jpg

Thank you very much for the screenshots!

Ok... Global is convincing me. This fall screenshot looks really nice...

But 90USD... that's more than 200BRL...  :(

I can't help wondering whether FTXG will trip over the same problem that GEX and other texture developers have been dealing with for years - that FSX uses the same textures in multiple places, not all of them appropriate. The only solution (so far) has been to modify the textures so they look "OK" everywhere, but not quite "right" anywhere.

That's what OpenLC is for.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU