Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Hansen

Orbx has achieved the unachievable!

(...) that the $99 texture set won't work properly without additionally purchasing the requisite proper OpenLC file(s), (...)

Andrew,

basically (implicitly) you're stating that the FSX default landclass isn't correct - and that you're expecting ORBX to "heal" wrong default LC with a mere texture replacement.

Next time try to be more ... realistic ...

I am playing the devil's advocate here because I absolutely LOVE FTXG and to me it's one of the best addons I have ever bought for FSX but again, the product page itself does NOT clearly state that you need other addons to get the most out of FTXG. The fact that is states 'Works with all 3rd party landclass products' doesn't mean it NEEDS them and the fact that it states 'Expandable with Orbx openLC packs!' does neither. I knew all that because I frequently visit the various forums but not every FSX addon buyer does that.

Could you tell me what colour the water is that you see? For instance the Thames in London? All the water I've seen so far is a pale green, like algae.  I also see it in pictures from ewlsewhere, as in post #67 in this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414506-anybody-seeing-green-in-fsx-now-that-you-have-ftxg/page-3

I'm asking because I'm looking for a solution. It is such a shame, the rest is great but the water really looks horrible to me. JV says it can't be FTXG itself as it doesn't change the waterclass, so I'm trying to work out what has happened.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Could you tell me what colour the water is that you see? For instance the Thames in London? All the water I've seen so far is a pale green, like algae.  I also see it in pictures from ewlsewhere, as in post #67 in this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414506-anybody-seeing-green-in-fsx-now-that-you-have-ftxg/page-3

I'm asking because I'm looking for a solution. It is such a shame, the rest is great but the water really looks horrible to me. JV says it can't be FTXG itself as it doesn't change the waterclass, so I'm trying to work out what has happened.

Regards

Pete

I just posted some shots that (amongst others) shows the Thames (so I am told... ^_^ ) and afaik a lot of not all the inland water is green indeed... I also noticed this in the Netherlands. I deactiavated ALL my addons and still its green... On the shots in that topic the FTXG landclass is activated, but I also already checked what happened with that landclass turned off: still green. So I doubt if you will find a solution and I also wonder if this REALLY has nothing to do with FTXG...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414457-some-gex-ftx-global-comparisons/page-4#entry2728013

I DID notice yesterday already that I have to disable (in the scenery library) 'UT Exclusions for default scenery' because with that one one the coastlines of the Netherlands are COMPLETELY wrong. Unfortunately I didn't make a backup of the default textures but I can't remember something wrong with the Netherlands before I installed FTXG. All in all I can't say that FTXG is doing some odd things but something's not totally right somewhere.

EDIT Just checked it and also England has no waters and coasts anymore with 'UT Exclusions for default scenery' enabled. Anyone else having the same problem? (Though it's not a real problem because I simply disable that option.) Of course I don't know if this is related to FTXG at ALL but I can't check that anymore.

I bet the green water is a UTX layering problem with FTXG, I don't use either product so I cant advise further, but my money is on FTXG having an exclusion at a higher level that is stopping the UTX water colour adjustments working properly.

Cheers, Andy.

I bet the green water is a UTX layering problem with FTXG, I dont use either product so I cant advise further, but my money is on FTXG having a exclusion at a higher level that is stopping the UTX water colour adjustments working properly.

In that case disabling the FTXG landclass entries would have solved the problem, but it didn't...

EDIT

Did some more tests. With EVERY addon off in the scenery library the Thames is a bit brownish. With the FTXG landclass on it still is. With UTX on the water becomes greenish and that's the same with FTXG landclass on or off. I am beginning to wonder if the green isn't normal and/or if everyone is talking about the same green... ^_^

Did you reboot the PC, some bgl's remain in memory even after being disabled in the library, its another FSX bug.

Cheers, Andy.

Did you reboot the PC, some bgl's remain in memory even after being disabled in the library, its another FSX bug.

No, didn't know that. If time permits I will make 4 screenshots this afternoon, 1 without UTX and without FTXG landclass, 2. without UTX but with FTXG landclass, 3. with UTX and without FTXG landclass and 4. with UTX and with FTXG landclass. I will reboot between every shot I take.

Why are people constantly blaming 'landclass'? It's pretty simple actually, if something was a 'desert' texture before, you'd expect it to be a 'desert' texture afterwards, just ORBX'd up. While they may fix the issue upon the release of the landclass, you do not assume the mere installation of a ground texture set is going to give you a completely different representation on the exact same landclass and it's pretty silly that they've made it that way. They should've stuck to the 'default' styling of the ground textures with the base pack as much as possible and gone all out on the unique textures that come with the landclass for each region - that way people won't be complaining that there's now greenery where they should be desert.

you do understand that the texture calls in the default fsx and the available pallet is extremely small right? Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided not to use all the landclass designations available to to them hence why in the default, half the world is desert to begin with!

The same texture tiles are in use in many areas of the world so it's a balancing act. my guess is that orbx decided that this was the only way of making the other areas of the world look correct and any shortcomings would be addressed in their own landclass product. it's not ideal and I think they should have been a bit more honest about it instead of posting the golden screenshots but its also not something that most of us shouldn't already know about. just see this description from Nick on the same issue that GEX faces....

http://www.simforums.com/forums/why-textures-repeat-in-fsx_topic44090.html

No, didn't know that. If time permits I will make 4 screenshots this afternoon, 1 without UTX and without FTXG landclass, 2. without UTX but with FTXG landclass, 3. with UTX and without FTXG landclass and 4. with UTX and with FTXG landclass. I will reboot between every shot I take.

Here is one shot only. First of all the FTXG landclass layers have no influence at all here. I put two screenshots on top of each other and cut some holes in the top one using Photoshop. So what you see is London without UTX Europe (the slightly browner water) and London with UTX Europe (the slightly greener water). The color also depends on the sky and time of day and so on... The colr difference is more clear when you use the top down view.

I have no clue if this is the awful green everyone is talking about or not!

9390171325_5dda26afe7_b.jpg

The water shader setting in FSX may influence this quite a bit too so its best if you say what setting you are using i.e. "2.x low" for example. I also change the water textures from default with AS2012, so people are likely to see large variations in colour anyway depending on whether they are using default or not. The screen shot above looks ok to me though, I wouldn't call that excessive at all.

Cheers, Andy.

True. I use 2x High. I don't use FSWC and haven't changed the water with REX or anything.

I just posted some shots that (amongst others) shows the Thames (so I am told... ^_^ ) and afaik a lot of not all the inland water is green indeed..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414457-some-gex-ftx-global-comparisons/page-4#entry2728013

Here is one shot only. First of all the FTXG landclass layers have no influence at all here. I put two screenshots on top of each other and cut some holes in the top one using Photoshop. So what you see is London without UTX Europe (the slightly browner water) and London with UTX Europe (the slightly greener water). The color also depends on the sky and time of day and so on... The colr difference is more clear when you use the top down view.

I have no clue if this is the awful green everyone is talking about or not!

The green in your shots are indeed the green I see here too. It is even more notieable and horrible when projected on my 10 foot screen!

Did some more tests. With EVERY addon off in the scenery library the Thames is a bit brownish. With the FTXG landclass on it still is. With UTX on the water becomes greenish and that's the same with FTXG landclass on or off. I am beginning to wonder if the green isn't normal and/or if everyone is talking about the same green... ^_^

Yes, it is the green I see whereas before it was certainly brownish, which is more realistic IMHO. It seems it must be something to do with the combination of FTXG and UTX from what you now say, but your earlier test seemed to disprove that. Very confusing so far. I'd hope Orbx would investigate this a little further for us rather than simply state FTXG doesn't change it.

I'll do some experiments of my own later. A bit tied up at present.

The water shader setting in FSX may influence this quite a bit too so its best if you say what setting you are using i.e. "2.x low" for example. I also change the water textures from default with AS2012, so people are likely to see large variations in colour anyway depending on whether they are using default or not. The screen shot above looks ok to me though, I wouldn't call that excessive at all.

I thought of playing with the water setting in FSX too.  I'm afraid I do not like the green water at all. From some altitudes it starts to look like fields or cricket pitches in some scenes. I want the water to look more like water than grass.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Jeroen,

The water in your screenshots looks weird, and nothing like the 2x.Med water that I use on my PC. In fact, the water in those screenshots looks like 1x to me (only worse).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I guess someone was right, there is a sucker born every minute.

+1

Oh, and if I may quote Gov. Perry directly about Orbx's latest product, "Oops". :huh:

Rick Perry? More like John Edwards! Oops is right!

Your infantile sarcasm hit you straight in the face and showed us all that you don't know the first thing about what you just spent $90 on.

Save yourself the embarrassment next time, and read the forums before you skewer yourself like you just did.