Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

There is an answer from Nick

For what it is wort, the compatibility aspect has some merit to it. If we think of the time before FTX Global, FTX region products were not totally compatible with each others, let alone 3rd party products.

Below are two pictures I posted on FTX forum while asking for support (btw. my question got answered within an hour which I find exceptional).

First is KSKA with FTX North America active:

and here is the same airport with FTX Europe active:

Note the sunken terrain. Remember that the only thing that changed between these pictures was the active FTX product.

The good news is, that now there is a fix available for this. Yes, you guessed it. It's the FTX global. With global you get FTX hybrid mode, that fixes problems between FTX regions.

The "bad news" is that (IIRC), I do not have the choice to use the base textures I prefer (be they freeware or commercial). If I want the terrain problems fixed, FTX Global is the only way to go.

For me, this implies a slight "vendor lock-in". With this in mind, I can understand why FTX competitors might be on their toes. I personally wish, that the Hybrid mode could have been a separate product for FTX region customers to purchase.

When Orbx releases the FTX regional scenery for Finland it will supersede all of Finland X, OpenLC and FTX Global.

Everyone has right to post who they feel right . An thats how i feel i respect yours respect mines . It all ends happy :)

Are you NickN Lawyer? :smile:

3d-oublier.gif  

:Peace:

When Orbx releases the FTX regional scenery for Finland it will supersede all of Finland X, OpenLC and FTX Global.

Yes, well, I have to say that I don't really care at all anymore what other developers are producing.... My eyes are set on Orbx. I will get OpenLC (at least Europe, maybe more), I will get Norway South, I will get as much Norway South airports as I can afford... in short: Orbx holds the future of FSX in its hands as far as I am concerned. I don't even pay attention anymore to other devs. (EDIT As far as scenery is concerned, that is!)

Monopoly? Yes, and I couldn't care less. ^_^

Is that Kermit the frog on your profile picture?

Yup

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Why wont F1 move on to new projects. did they really think they can use GEX/UTX for their main source of income forever?
A good place to start would be to remake their ATR.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Yes, well, I have to say that I don't really care at all anymore what other developers are producing.... My eyes are set on Orbx. I will get OpenLC (at least Europe, maybe more), I will get Norway South, I will get as much Norway South airports as I can afford... in short: Orbx holds the future of FSX in its hands as far as I am concerned. I don't even pay attention anymore to other devs. (EDIT As far as scenery is concerned, that is!)

Monopoly? Yes, and I couldn't care less. ^_^

And that exactly why some were upset at MS with Flight, remember, MS said "Our way or the highway".

Now, if you are staying with Orbx exclusively and don't care about what may happen down the road with other sceneries products you'r good to go. 

I think this post by OrbX explains what they did, why they had to do it and how they tried to minimize the damage done:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/59802-ftx-global-update-june-2013/

The "scrambled LC calls" Nick refers to sounds like the lclookup.bgl file.

One can only hope P3D 2.0 is able to reach a larger audience. Friendly competition among developers is good, but when flawed decisions made by the Aces team in 2004-2005 force developers to fight for control over core FSX files, it's not good for anyone.

Thanks for the link.  It explains a lot and gets to the core issue:  Orbx/FTX modifies lclookup.bgl and AutogenDescriptions.spb.  Hopefully you see why that can be an issue for any developer freeware/payware/whatever who works on terrain, not just GEX or UTX.  It is NOT about texture replacement -- that's easily understood and accounted for.  Unless Orbx releases an sdk that allows for 3d party terrain using their mods (or perhaps enterprising devs reverse engineer what Orbx did) then any other terrain addon is going to be a crapshoot.

So while we can say that certain devs are looking out for their interests, that isn't the real problem, at least for users like me.  Now I suppose I might be a group of one, so be it.

scott s.

Thanks for the link.  It explains a lot and gets to the core issue:  Orbx/FTX modifies lclookup.bgl and AutogenDescriptions.spb.  Hopefully you see why that can be an issue for any developer freeware/payware/whatever who works on terrain, not just GEX or UTX.  It is NOT about texture replacement -- that's easily understood and accounted for.  Unless Orbx releases an sdk that allows for 3d party terrain using their mods (or perhaps enterprising devs reverse engineer what Orbx did) then any other terrain addon is going to be a crapshoot.

So while we can say that certain devs are looking out for their interests, that isn't the real problem, at least for users like me.  Now I suppose I might be a group of one, so be it.

scott s.

Make it two.

I think airport and photoscenery devs will be just fine no matter what ORBX does, who needs other custom landclass stuff anyway after OpenLC packs are out?

If I've understood right any compatibility issues with airport sceneries and such should be only related to custom autogen, shouldn't be a problem to me at least as I prefer just placing all the stuff I need by hand using Instant Scenery 2...

Pathetic, no

Defensive? Heck ya...

But wouldn't you do the same when adter all these years your product was basically the only option on the market?

Plus people have a right to defend themselves. I just wish he would have posted in these forums.

I don't understand the need to be defensive, though. After all these years, it seems that those who wanted GEX would of already purchased it. If anything, people now just want something newer which will be the reason to go to FTX.

Just my .02.

3d-oublier.gif  

:Peace:

haha lol right back you bud .  All respect an everything, let me just say nothing personal . In the end we are all simmers with different opinions an understanding .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Yup

I hope the lass(whoever has there and up kermits &@($*) is old enough?

She is quite a hottie - if she aint old enough then jail the place for me! :rolleyes:

EDIT "their Hand"

Edited by flyingnoob

I hope the lass(whoever has there and up kermits &@($*) is old enough?

She is quite a hottie - if she aint old enough then jail the place for me! :rolleyes:

EDIT "their Hand"

She old enough soon to join the flight sim community some day . Only when she learns to low terrain doesn't mean that is to low to rain LOL

Mr Leny