Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to permanently change priority of TrackIR?

I noticed that setting the priority of TrackIR to High makes a HUGE difference on my PC. I wonder what is the best way of permanently changing the priority of TrackIR to High. I know about Prio but I don't like adding (too much) programs to my system... I also have no clue at ALL if Prio takes up resources. Are there any other ways to fix the priority setting or is Prio the only solution?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks, bat seems a lot heavier program than Prio...! A bit too much, I think.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Win7 OS Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

OpusFSX can now do it if you have it, FSXAssist is another alternative.

You could also just create a batch file using the Start command to set the priority to high:

Start /high "c:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR\TrackIR.exe"

Not sure if he path is exactly right but you get the drift. :)

Just go into Task Manager, high lite your TrackIR process, click on "Set Affinity", OK and there you are

This came up in a discussion of Multi-Crew experience when there was a disscussion of process priorities and core usage.  I used to use something called Process Lasso where you could set the priorities of the various processes when they started, and then they always started that way.

It used to be that if I didn't set Trackir to higher than FSX then it was stuttery, so that's why I got Process Lasso.

For reasons I don't quite understand, in the course of experimenting with various configurations trying to figure out a problem with MCE, I found that I didn't have to use it anymore, and TrackIR ran just fine without it.  Still, if you are having that problem, Process Lasso is a good way to go, and for what you need to do, it works just fine in it's freeware version.  Haven't heard of something called Prio.

OpusFSX can now do it if you have it, FSXAssist is another alternative.

You could also just create a batch file using the Start command to set the priority to high:

Start /high "c:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR\TrackIR.exe"

Not sure if he path is exactly right but you get the drift. :)

Sounds good! I will give it a try and if it really works then this is by far the best solution: I don't like to install programs and utilities if I don't really have to.

Just go into Task Manager, high lite your TrackIR process, click on "Set Affinity", OK and there you are

LOL How else do you think I did it up to now...? ^_^

Still, if you are having that problem, Process Lasso is a good way to go, and for what you need to do, it works just fine in it's freeware version. Haven't heard of something called Prio.

Yes, the difference between TrackIR on normal and high is VERY obvious. Night and day. Stutters versus smooth. I will have a look at Process Lasso if that bat doesn't work out, although Prio seems to be a much lighter program: http://www.prnwatch.com/prio/ Process Lasso seems a bit heavy for just letting TrackIR run on a higher priority.

I managed to get it done with a bat file! Nice! I had to Google a bit for the right commands though... I ended up with this:

@echo off
cd /d F:\Programs\TrackIR5
start /high TrackIR5.exe

So I first had to change the directory using cd etc. and only then I could start TrackIR.

Great! Glad I don't have to install a utility for this...! ^_^

EDIT

I had to change the dir because I created the bat on my desktop... LOL I know created the bat in the TrackIR folder and now only 'start /high TrackIR5.exe' does the job. I created a shortcut to that bat on my desktop, which also enabled me to change the icon to the TrackIR one. All is fine now! :)

I remember the old Trackir software for version 2 was running at high (or realtime) priority by default. I wonder why Naturalpoint dropped this feature in the later versions, it makes a big difference on my system too. 

Another solution: copy your default trackIR desktop shortcut and replace, via its properties, its target value to this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity E TrackIR5.exe

Double clicking the edited shortcut will run trackIR with affinity E (cores 1,2,3) at high priority.  /realtime, /low, /normal are other priority options.  Can't beat the elegance of doing this.

Another solution: copy your default trackIR desktop shortcut and replace, via its properties, its target value to this:

Double clicking the edited shortcut will run trackIR with affinity E (cores 1,2,3) at high priority.  /realtime, /low, /normal are other priority options.  Can't beat the elegance of doing this.

This is what I've done for the last few years  -  this is what you want Jeroen! ..... Just copy the above into the "Target" field of the Properties of your TrackIR EXE .......... No need to BAT files buddy! :cool:

I have Track IR4,and this worked for me,

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity E TrackIR.exe

I get bad twitching in the fore aft axis with 5 software.

I remember the old Trackir software for version 2 was running at high (or realtime) priority by default. I wonder why Naturalpoint dropped this feature in the later versions, it makes a big difference on my system too.

Random hijack of topic here hehe: will your PZL Orlik ever see the light of day? Or maybe as payware from A2A?

Ryan, you've mistaken me with someone else (pun intended). 

PZL Orlik is Michal's Puto baby, also an A2A employee. 

Thanks for the tip. What does that /C do...?

EDIT

Probably this: "Carries out the command specified by string and then terminates"...?

Anyway, it works indeed and it is indeed the most elegant solution. ^_^

Hey Jeroen what do you mean by priority? Which improve you can achieve in FSX? i have TrackIR 5 and it starts automatically with w7, what may I change? Any benefit?

Every process in Windows has a certain priority. Usually priority for everything is Normal. By giving a certain process, like TrackIR, a higher priority it gets (obviously ^_^ ) a higher priority from the system. When I leave the priority for TrackIR at Normal on my PC I get stutters when I look around. When I set priority to High everything is totally smooth. (This has nothing to do with the performance of FSX itself but with the performance of TrackIR!)

I wouldn't know how to set priority automatically when you let TrackIR load with Windows... Maybe you should disable that and start TrackIR manually with the changes to the shortcut posted above. Or maybe someone else knows how to get this done. ^_^

If you don't have ANY problems with TrackIR right now (no stutters or anything when you look around) this trick won't help you much, of course.

Mmmhh, now that you said this I remember that I have microstutter when look around, try to change priority as suggested above and see if help. Many thanks.