Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

PRO ATCX (Pointsoftware) forum site down

... any answers?

the best answer would be that the dev doesn't care about support or it's support forum.

Just ignore that software and wait some month if there's a patch coming up ... if ever.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the best answer would be that the dev doesn't care about support or it's support forum.

Just ignore that software and wait some month if there's a patch coming up ... if ever.

Just don't go over there and dare to complain. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that forum, just ask anybody over there and they will tell you that. How do you do that? Oh that's easy, just sit there all day and or all night and just keep hitting the refresh button every five minutes. You are bound to hit a two minute window some time. How do you get an update on the progress of the fixes? Well for a start you could try the forum.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The forum over there is up and down a lot ...

It reminds me of a start up company that has bitten off too much to chew ..

I do like their product, even though it could use some updates..

The forum over there is up and down a lot ...It reminds me of a start up company that has bitten off too much to chew ..I do like their product, even though it could use some updates..

While I agree with what you say Jim, what burn's my a#s is that if you try to put that over on that forum, the mods and a few others immediately go into defence/denial mode and start a darned argument. I have tried to get a simple answer to one question (is the next update going to fix the existing version) and I get (from one particular mod) this long drawn out dance around a simple yes or no answer and the impression that they think I am a pain in the a#s.

Like it or not, you have to keep your customer in the loop. If you don't, the rumours start flying.

I might sound very critical of the dev sometimes, but I have always been respectful in doing so and believe it or not, I would love to see this product succeed. I just don't appreciate having the forum police over there, wag their finger at me (directly or indirectly) every time I dare to criticize PATC or it's forum.

Regards,

Edit: 9:50 p.m. Just took a look (or tried to) over at their forum. Guess what, down again for the second time (to my knowledge) today.

Rick Hobbs

I agree that the developer's face to the community is far below a professional level.. while their product and price structure are most certainly presented on a professional level.

Unfortunately this disparity is causing a lot of negative bias in their customer base.

If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck....

I agree that the developer's face to the community is far below a professional level.. while their product and price structure are most certainly presented on a professional level.Unfortunately this disparity is causing a lot of negative bias in their customer base.If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck....

But I guess we still all remember the story of The Ugly Duckling...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I would imagine Pointsoft do think they have kept their customers in the loop.  Their position is that they are are undertaking a major (free) upgrade to the product, amounting to something close in scale to a re-write, and that this will (obviously) be released as soon as it is ready.  Some may not believe this but there isn't an awful lot gained if the developer appears once a week and repeats the message.  Like PMDG, they are not putting forward projected release dates and then having to engage in a huge debate when delays occur. 

There are certainly weaknesses to be addressed: the limited number or proper airline call-signs and control of AI on the ground would be the 2 at the top of my list and I imagine the 2nd of these is a significant task.  

Some complain that the current product doesn't work.  I can only say that, provided I don't get rammed by an AI aircraft on the taxiway, it does work for me.  I'd class myself as a reasonably demanding amateur but not obsessive and lacking any real aviation experience against which to find fault.  If it works for some then it must be the case the others are doing something different or have different expectations for it not to work for them.   As long as Pointsoft are providing support on genuine issues with the present functionality, then they've done the minimum necessary.

ngxu_banner.png

Some may not believe this but there isn't an awful lot gained if the developer appears once a week

But once every half year would be nice or is that also too much? ;)

Once a week isn't necessary, that is true, but for such a high priced addon, one could give some statement once a month. And the forum itself is mostly unreachable due to server errors. That all in all I couldn't have an other picture as the dev doesn't care very much about his customers.

Hopefully, once that promised update comes ...

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Like PMDG, they are not putting forward projected release dates and then having to engage in a huge debate when delays occur. 

[ /quote]

Pardon me, but don't let's get carried away here, Pointsoft is not in the same league as PMDG. When they say something, you can bet you can take it to the bank.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

But the point is, the statement that "We are undertaking a major upgrade to the product, amounting to something close in scale to a re-write which will be released as soon as it is ready" isn't capable of being updated is it? The only update is the release.

I know it's annoying and I agree they should make a bit more of an effort to pretend to communicate. In the end though the fact remains that it'll be ready when it's ready (or if it's ready). What's for sure though is that any time spent by the guy writing the code discussing when it will be ready only acts to delay when it will be ready.

Like PMDG, they are not putting forward projected release dates and then having to engage in a huge debate when delays occur.
[ /quote]

Pardon me, but don't let's get carried away here, Pointsoft is not in the same league as PMDG. When they say something, you can bet you can take it to the bank.

Regards,

I'm only pointing out Pointsoft aren't the only people who don't engage in detailed debate about progress and release dates. Those that do issue release dates usually get ripped to shreds when they fail to meet them......

The REAL question is whether you believe he's working on it or whether he isn't. I don't profess to know but I am sure him repeatedly saying he is doesn't make it true, being silent doesn't mean he isn't.

ngxu_banner.png

But the point is, the statement that "We are undertaking a major upgrade to the product, amounting to something close in scale to a re-write which will be released as soon as it is ready" isn't capable of being updated is it? The only update is the release.I know it's annoying and I agree they should make a bit more of an effort to pretend to communicate. In the end though the fact remains that it'll be ready when it's ready (or if it's ready). What's for sure though is that any time spent by the guy writing the code discussing when it will be ready only acts to delay when it will be ready.

I'm only pointing out Pointsoft aren't the only people who don't engage in detailed debate about progress and release dates. Those that do issue release dates usually get ripped to shreds when they fail to meet them......

The REAL question is whether you believe he's working on it or whether he isn't. I don't profess to know but I am sure him repeatedly saying he is doesn't make it true, being silent doesn't mean he isn't.

I am not in the category that you are obviously talking to. I think I have explained my position/expectations quite clearly and numerous times:

I could care less about release dates, I asked for (many times) and to this date, never got a simple yes or know answer to, will the next update contain the fixes to known problems with the existing version?

Are you telling me that's unreasonable?

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

If you don't know what the detailed scope of the upgrade is, I have to say I don't either.  

I said earlier, I don't have a long list of issues because the product works reasonably well for me as it stands.  But then I fly in Europe and maybe it models procedures here better than it does in North America, I can't comment.

The lack of callsigns is annoying but I doubt that will be fixed.  There wouldn't be much point working on the vocabulary while changing the grammar.  If there is an update, my expectation is that AI interaction will be included.

Nobody is saying this is a good situation but wisely or otherwise, the developer has chosen to go for a full update rather than small scale amendments.   

ngxu_banner.png

Let me just let you in on an experience I had this week,

In light of the fact that regardless of what people think, I have used RC4 for several years and only because future dev elopement is now in doubt ( No knock at JD, his reasons are very understandable) and there are a few personal pet peeves I have which now look like they won't change, I decided to look elsewhere for a better or potentially better program.

That's where PATC comes in. Looking at what I have witnessed over the last 7 months+, I decided to look again. I won't mention the name ( you can guess), but procedurally and level of and frequency of bugs, to me is impressive. This program is used extensively (apparently) as a PPL training tool.

To get to the point I want to make, I have used this program for hours and hours over the last few days and hit one problem that was a deal breaker for me, so I decided to email support. This guy spent three days back and forth with email after email with requests for files, results of try this and try that etc, etc. one email I got was at 7:40 p.m. EDT. This guy is 5 hrs ahead of me, meaning it was past midnight for him (I be leave in have his local correct).

Anyway, an hour or so ago he nailed it after countless emails. Now that's what I call support.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs