Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

FTX Global, is it worth it?

Where can I find this patch?

Noel

I'm holding off on installing FTX-G as I tend to include The Land of Pea Soup frequently in my flight planning and had I known about this in advance I would have saved the $100 and waited to see if this was addressed.   

Does anyone know if the have made a statement that they plan to update this pretty large area?  Perhaps they are holding off so as to include a whole new separate payware region, i.e., this was an intentional omission?  Could be I guess. 

The patch hasn't been released yet but will be in a few days. It includes fixes for the pea soup too.

EDIT

Here's what will be included in the patch:

• Improved 3D lights that perform even better FPS and more denser Vector Lights
  • Increased 3D lights size by 40% for further view distance and greater brightness (eventually we will release a 3D lights tuning app V2)
  • Edited 3D lights annotation for many urban textures previously missing lighting
  • Added intersection vehicle red tail lights, red/green traffic lights, and neon lights in commercial areas
  • Edits to autogendescriptions.spb to add missing compatibility for some SCO Scotland objects and also missing veg at KWYS
  • New landclass for the USA SW region (see below) to eradicate the "green deserts" and also add in the indigenous red desert in that region 
  • New landclass for parts of Africa where pine trees are being shown instead of native African trees
  • FTX Global Uninstaller (already released separately)

9635211425_ddfc2c08e4_o.jpg

9635211159_d47f6fef74_o.jpg

That is good news indeed. I'm eagerly awaiting it. That will make my part of the world complete. Once Northern California and South Rockies are released I will be one happy Orbx camper.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

100% WORTH IT.

I have it now and don't look back. It is great being able to fly the whole world now, and take on new routes with my VA that I otherwise would not have wanted to because of the default textures that looked so horrible. I mean, I am sure when FSX first came out it was all great, but a lot has changed since then, and this is the newest, best of the best. Frame rates don't even come into play here, as there is no effect. Even the night lighting, which I was skeptical of, has no effect. Try FTX global coming in or out of LAX or ATL...it is awesome!

Agreed, I flew out of LAX this morning and it looked amazing. Can't wait to see the explosion of lights for a night arrival.

I would add that there are two GREAT addons for the southwest from OZx. The Grand Canyon and Death Valley. both are awesome.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The patch hasn't been released yet but will be in a few days. It includes fixes for the pea soup too.

Awesome!  OK, I guess it's time to install it!  The improved performing 3D lights will be great too.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

As long as FTX Global eliminates the dreaded repeating textures at altitude I'm in!! The screenshots I've seen around my neck of the woods look amazing. Default FSX never generated a sufficient number of trees to properly represent my hometown of St Louis, MO and other towns and cities in the Midwest and Eastern U.S. The building styles look far more convincing as well.

I would add that there are two GREAT addons for the southwest from OZx. The Grand Canyon and Death Valley. both are awesome.

Noel

Indeed. I don't have them myself (I never fly there) but even JV himself adviced to use those addons if you fly there frequently because no landclass addon will do a better job on it.

As long as FTX Global eliminates the dreaded repeating textures at altitude I'm in!! The screenshots I've seen around my neck of the woods look amazing. Default FSX never generated a sufficient number of trees to properly represent my hometown of St Louis, MO and other towns and cities in the Midwest and Eastern U.S. The building styles look far more convincing as well.

While FTXG may indeed do a better job when it comes to trees and buildings, it still uses the default landclass so if you have dreaded repeating textures with FSX default somewhere you will also have them with FTXG... they only look better. ^_^ To solve that issue you need additional landclass: I myself will wait patiently for OpenLC (the upcoming landclass product from Orbx which also comes with extra textures!).

Indeed. I don't have them myself (I never fly there) but even JV himself adviced to use those addons if you fly there frequently because no landclass addon will do a better job on it.

While FTXG may indeed do a better job when it comes to trees and buildings, it still uses the default landclass so if you have dreaded repeating textures with FSX default somewhere you will also have them with FTXG... they only look better. ^_^ To solve that issue you need additional landclass: I myself will wait patiently for OpenLC (the upcoming landclass product from Orbx which also comes with extra textures!).

Thanks for the insight.

I simply love FTX Global, it just makes everything much more realistic. And I'm especially in love with the night-lighting that can be seen in huge cities. Love to do a low approach on KLAX with my 737 just to have all those shimmering lights just beneath you.

I do however have a question regarding FTX Global and the use of other add-on sceneries like FlyTampa's Dubai Rebooted 2.1. That scenery is amazing, and I simply love those buildings during dawn, day and dusk, however during the night, although looking good, I'm actually 'missing' the nice FTX Global 3d night-lights in that area. When approaching from the north, you have a few bits of the FTX Global scenery before you get to the FlyTampa scenery, and exactly at that point the 3d lights suddenly stop and you just feel that missing depth and height feeling you have when flying over those lights.

Is there any way to get FTX Global only do autogen on those 3d lights during the night and for the rest just leave the scenery up to FlyTampa? I fear it's not, but I so hope it can be done...

Thanks for the insight.

You can adjust trees density cells in the fsxCFG

ZORAN

Despite of being a "newbie Poster " but Reading this Forum since my first Virtual flight with FS6, i can absolutely recommend FTX Global. It's one of the most remarkable Addons of the last few years, since it brings so much more of a realistic flight experiance to FS. So i would call it a Must have. There is clearly no competitor to FTX so far.

Wow, posting on iPhone with German spell checking is so terrible. ;) please ignore my mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Don't feel bad. The spell checking in English on the iPhone isn't much better.