Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

FTX Global, is it worth it?

Once again been away from FSX for a while, but I'm planning to start playing it again on frequent basis whenever I can (in the weekend). 

So I noticed this long awaited product has been released around two months ago. I saw some product features and I quite impressed but I was even more impressed when I saw a video review about it saying that these claims/features were actually true.

I'm just curious what opinion others have on this product. Is there really no FPS loss at all? What about the night lightning? Is it worth it?

And oh, how come it's so cheap? FlightSim Store is selling it for AUD$99 and I read somewhere it was gonna cost $AUD195 or something? How come?

No fps loss at all.  Night lighting is better than UTX.  It was released two weeks or so ago.  I don't know where you heard $195.  When they first announced it $99 was and has always been the number.  There are pictures and impressions all over avsim.

Definitely worth it!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

+LC= $195

ZORAN

No fps loss at all.  Night lighting is better than UTX.  It was released two weeks or so ago.  I don't know where you heard $195.  When they first announced it $99 was and has always been the number.

Look here and scroll down to "What does it cost?"

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/52819-orbx-announces-ftx-global-to-be-released-in-2013/

Hugely worth it.   Ignore all the hype (good and bad).... it's just a fantastic, essential addon.

Today I was flying in Togo a small nation in western Africa.   If you had suggested I flew in Togo with default textures, or GEX I would have laughed, at how ugly FSX would have looked in this small unattended region.

But with FTX Global it was like having a FTX West Africa region pack installed.... just STUNNING!

With FTX Global I can fly anywhere in the world now, and marvel at the fantastic scenery.

Exactly, which makes this add-on a must have. Now I am finally exploring the entire world, where as before I would only stick to known territory.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

+LC= $195

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is LC? I assume it's some kind of expansion pack for this? I noticed it said FTX Global BASE Pack on their website, so...

It is definitely worth the buy!!!

I am an X-Planer, very mad at ORBX for having said X-Plane has no future ( it certainly has!!! they are wrong, and they'd better do something like FTX Global for it ...) very satisfied with the inexpensive scenery  ( OSM-based ) add-ons available for that sim ( X-Plane ) , but being also a P3D user, after seeing and reading about FTX Global, decided to buy it.

It's one of my best simming buys ever!  It brings a whoe new sensation to my virtual flights. Amazed at the level of detail and quality!

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is LC? I assume it's some kind of expansion pack for this? I noticed it said FTX Global BASE Pack on their website, so...

Land-Class - describes the type of terrain use/ coverage

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

I have never bought a scenery package before and this is my first and I must say I am impressed.   It is worth the money. 

100% WORTH IT.

I have it now and don't look back. It is great being able to fly the whole world now, and take on new routes with my VA that I otherwise would not have wanted to because of the default textures that looked so horrible. I mean, I am sure when FSX first came out it was all great, but a lot has changed since then, and this is the newest, best of the best. Frame rates don't even come into play here, as there is no effect. Even the night lighting, which I was skeptical of, has no effect. Try FTX global coming in or out of LAX or ATL...it is awesome!

Yes for me its money well spent, no regrets whatsoever.

Kimo

It's a must have imho but in some places you really need new landclass to correct FSX default landclass errors (of which there are many!). And so Orbx decided to create OpenLC which is a landclass addon for the entire globe, divided into 7 regions and which also comes with even more new textures! FTXG also comes with a small demo area of OpenLC (in Europe) and some LC corrections for Asia.

But even without addon landclass FTXG makes a world of difference. It's not only new textures but also autogen trees which make (again) a world of difference. I have flown in places I have never ever flown before! Worth every cent spend on it.

I have to add though that I also have UTX Europe and freeware addons for Norway and these make FTXG really shine: flying in South America without other addons (landclass, mesh) is still a bit boring. But nevertheless: a great addon which gives new life to FSX.

EDIT

Regarding the price: initially they wanted to sell a bace pack for 99 AUD and later on some sort of subscription pack (199 AUD) that would give all kinds of additions to FTXG (landclass, airports, etc.). But soon they changed plans and now they only offer this 'base pack' for 99 AUD and all other addons for FTXG will be sold seperately but at low(ish) prices. For instance one OpenLC region covering all of Europe will cost something like 15 to 10 AUD.

Global is only $90 USD.

Later landclass packages with custom textures for the world will be released in 7 regions (NA, EU, etc.) for about $15 USD each.

None of those are out yet.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.