Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Beta Video

Great video. It contained pretty much everything I was interested in taking a look at. I especially enjoyed the boot up from cold and dark.

Excuse me and this question migh have been ask before but is there any way to plan cold and dark from the CDU if not are PMDG planning on doing so ?

I want to discover all the sounds and features of the the plane myself :)

Kyle talks all over them any way  :P

I did watch the full thing and enjoyed the effort.  I couldn't bring myself to skip forward.  Well done.  

I have a few questions but I don't want to bog down these betas any more than they already are.  Can't wait for release now.  

Is there a way to show a video with the beta 777 when starting or landing in Frankfurt ?

Thanks for this great video!

Nice to know there is also a Polderbaan at KIAD ;)

Marc ter Heide

Just to add to everyone else, thanks for the video...I'm currently in the 744 routing to KSEA from EGLL (thought I'd position myself in the hope the T7 isn't too far away :P ), so it's helped pass some time.

Picked up a few tricks I've not used before with the FMC.

If you don't mind the question, what do you currently do in the real world? I couldn't work out from your chatting if you where in ATC, or piloting or none of the above (I'm RW ATC so was just curious when you where talking about some of the US procedures)!

Just to add to everyone else, thanks for the video...I'm currently in the 744 routing to KSEA from EGLL (thought I'd position myself in the hope the T7 isn't too far away :P ), so it's helped pass some time.

Picked up a few tricks I've not used before with the FMC.

If you don't mind the question, what do you currently do in the real world? I couldn't work out from your chatting if you where in ATC, or piloting or none of the above (I'm RW ATC so was just curious when you where talking about some of the US procedures)!

Haha. Gooooooood question. My background is kind of an awkward novel-type story (it's me, after all) so I'll probably throw in a little of my story and what I did up until recently (contract just ended yesterday, actually) in my next vid so I don't have to type it all. The short version for my (up til yesterday) job is supporting the Collaborative Decision Making (CDM) process through participation on teams related to flow evaluation and future concepts of technology (mostly traffic management tools.)

As for the controller bit:

Got about halfway through PUBNAT8 and got hit by (what I'm told was) a clerical error and never got picked up by a facility (by the time we saw the issue, the process had closed.) While that whole process was going on, I spent a lot of time visiting facilities, and getting unofficial "training" from one where I knew a lot of the training staff (sat in on a bunch of problems and monitored positions a good bit). Referring to controllers and then saying "we" is an awkward/unfortunate habit, mostly picked up from being a controller on VATSIM and attempting to explain control concepts to the pilot group there. After I tried to get picked up in the PUBNAT, and working so closely with controllers in my current job makes me feel slightly less awkward for saying it, but it's still something I try to avoid (though clearly, I don't do so well sometimes.)

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

What a fantastic presentation.  Truly informative from start to finish.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Steve Cherry

citizen_cane.gif

Remarkable work. Thank you & Liked

Your stern replies can cut like a knife.Can make someone think twice about you.

But proven who you are, that's definitely deceiving.

Cheers

Haha. Gooooooood question. My background is kind of an awkward novel-type story

All reads very interesting, I'm sorry to read that you appear to have been mucked about a fair amount. I hope your end of contract doesn't mean your unemployed for too long.

I'm a en-route controller in the UK and I'm working on some future ATM projects as well. Big period of change in our world over the next decade or so.

Don't want to thread creep to much but one of the things I found interesting was when you where talking about approach controllers issuing instructions. It appears they have to inform the pilot of where they are when telling them what to do, eg "XXX123, 3NM SE of ABC, Do This". Do you know why? It seems a bit unnecessary, I would hope that the pilots should know where they are; I'd imagine contributes massively to RT congestion.

Remarkable work. Thank you & Liked

Your stern replies can cut like a knife.Can make someone think twice about you.

But proven who you are, that's definitely deceiving.

Cheers

Thanks!

Also, that's one of my favorite GIFs of all time. Haha.

Kyle Rodgers

One of the pages you showed on the lower DU was a communications page. Was any of that functional?

Best regards,

Robin.

All reads very interesting, I'm sorry to read that you appear to have been mucked about a fair amount. I hope your end of contract doesn't mean your unemployed for too long.

I'm a en-route controller in the UK and I'm working on some future ATM projects as well. Big period of change in our world over the next decade or so.

Don't want to thread creep to much but one of the things I found interesting was when you where talking about approach controllers issuing instructions. It appears they have to inform the pilot of where they are when telling them what to do, eg "XXX123, 3NM SE of ABC, Do This". Do you know why? It seems a bit unnecessary, I would hope that the pilots should know where they are; I'd imagine contributes massively to RT congestion.

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a stressful few weeks, so I'm sure some of the rambling in my video was because I've been running around like crazy recently. Just had an interview (same company, different realm, though partially FAA-related I think) on Thursday, so we'll see!

And what you heard me rattle off was an approach clearance from vectors. Since I'd "vectored" myself off of my route, navigation responsibility transfers to the controller. When they're placing you back on your own navigation for an approach, they must give you your position, required heading to intercept, an altitude to maintain until established (because their MVA may be lower than other charted altitudes), and the approach clearance. The abbreviation, of course, for all of that is PTAC. It's just a way to reorient the pilot, in case the picture is not fully clear (much appreciated when I'm flying the steam gauge Cessna I occasionally fly.) If the controller had said "after [some fix in my route], proceed direct [some fix in the approach]," then it could have been a lot simpler, as the controller never assumed responsibility for navigation of the aircraft.

'Responsibility' may not be the best word there, but in the end, the controller is the one navigating the aircraft through the airspace, instead of the pilot following the set route or ground-based aids, so the position statement is essentially the controller telling the pilot: "since you last knew where you were, I have vectored you into [this] position." With a nav display, that isn't a huge help (I can see where I am on the map), but flying /A, it definitely helps you to understand where I've been vectored.

EDIT: Autocorrect fail. That's what I get for typing on an iPad...

Kyle Rodgers