Sign in to follow this  
toby23

Simplified Checklist (for parents with small children)

I've prepared a Checklist to get you up in the air as quickly and safely as possible.

It's based on the excellent second tutorial by Brendan Ratchford.

To speed things up, I've left out some of the 'non-essential for sim flight' emergency tests.

The format is the same as the Checklists that I made for the PMDG JS41 and the DCS Series, so if you know them, you'll be right at home.

I fly with VOXATC, so the flow is tailored to flying with a 'reasonably' realistic ATC.

If you follow this Checklist step for step, the cabin/ ground crew announcements should also take place at the right time.

I've also included a printable Flightplan with all the essential info for your flight.

It's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be practical.

Use it together with my Checklist and you'll always have the information you need at the right time.

Enjoy flying this incredible simulation of the Dash-8 Q400, I know I am.

Toby

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Very nice !

The very first item should be "CHECK CHILDREN" with response "SLEEPING"

banner_samdim_q400_nrw.png

LOL, in that case I think you'd need another "CHECK CHILDREN" item after moving the condition levers to full forward (at least with a good sub woofer!)

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I've updated my Checklist.

Update 26.08.13

- Demisters/ Side Vent (noted that they are set opposite in aircraft)

- Added Pressurization Panel section (no more sore ears on arrival)

- Corrected flow for Descent and Destination ATIS (IRL can only be heard  approx. 50nm from Destination)

- Added section to allow for changes to STAR 50nm from Destination

- Refined font and layout for clarity (hopefully)

I can't edit the original post but the link below is the most up to date as of 26.08.2013

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Very nice !

CHECK WIFE: UNARMED

I've updated my Checklist.

Update 26.08.13

- Demisters/ Side Vent (noted that they are set opposite in aircraft)

- Added Pressurization Panel section (no more sore ears on arrival)

- Corrected flow for Descent and Destination ATIS (IRL can only be heard approx. 50nm from Destination)

- Added section to allow for changes to STAR 50nm from Destination

- Refined font and layout for clarity (hopefully)

I can't edit the original post but the link below is the most up to date as of 26.08.2013

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 Checklist Simplified.pdf

This reminds me of a more general question: in FSX you can't contact airport ATC until way too close, to get assigned runway (or can you?). Hence I completely either abandon use of STAR, ignore FSX ATC, or try a mad scramble to program it in and invariably end up sailing two thousand feet directly over the runway, with the kids in the tower waving at me as I pass by.

Since I am utterly antisocial, are there any tips other than VATSIM and the like for doing approaches better?

Steve

I don't know if anyone here will find this useful, but Airline2Sim are now providing a free checklist that fits on a single sheet of A4. Obviously not as comprehensive as Toby's, as it's the spoken items only (iirc). It's available from:

http://www.airline2sim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/checklist-frontv3.pdf

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Aww, use the old Colgan one!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I don't know if anyone here will find this useful, but Airline2Sim are now providing a free checklist that fits on a single sheet of A4. Obviously not as comprehensive as Toby's, as it's the spoken items only (iirc). It's available from:

http://www.airline2sim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/checklist-frontv3.pdf

I wonder how they will get their pilot-students to set 3 units of trim on the Q400!

I wonder how they will get their pilot-students to set 3 units of trim on the Q400!

Well spotted Brendan - we actually merged a bunch of different airline's flows and checklists into one to create this. Three units in this case actually means 'check the three different trim units', as in the pitch trim, the rudder trim and aileron trim. I agree that the wording could be clearer. In future versions of the checklist it will say 'Trims.......X3 - Set'. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Well spotted Brendan - we actually merged a bunch of different airline's flows and checklists into one to create this. Three units in this case actually means 'check the three different trim units', as in the pitch trim, the rudder trim and aileron trim. I agree that the wording could be clearer. In future versions of the checklist it will say 'Trims.......X3 - Set'. 

Oh yes! Rudder/aileron are important too :) It's amazing how brainwashed I am from my company's individual procedures!

Nicely done!

Would really like to have your checklist for the JS41 if you still have it linked somewhere.

Thank you for your generous work.