Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

Electronic Checklists vs Paper Checklists

As the 777 has Electronic Checklists, I was wondering what happens with paper checklists?

Does the ECL have all the same procedures on as the paper checklist?

Is the paper checklist only in the cockpit as a backup in case the ECL fails?

I've found flows are more important in this aircraft - get them down to a tee then half of the checklists complete themselves. Maybe some airlines put the normal checklists in the paper QRH- I couldn't imagine them being any different on paper compared to the ECL. I think crew could easily operate the aircraft in the event of an ECL failure (unlikely to happen still) there's WAY less things to do than the older Boeing's such as the 737, 757, 747 etc.

I'm a regular 767 and 737NGX simmer. After watch the Beta 777 videos, I know I'll get used and become familiar with the ECL extremely fast. In our sim world, there's almost no place for failures, so at least in my case, no need to have the paper CL.

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

Many airlines including AA requires pilots to carry the hard copy checklists and QRH if the ecl fails.

I cannot think of one thing that is manmade than cannot break. I'd rather have a hard copy of the essential documents (FCOM V1, QRH, checklists) to accompany the ECL and EFB.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Here we carry paper Airline Operations Manual, QRH, Route and Airport Information Manual, FCOM Vol1&2, PA Handbook and Dispatch Deviation Guide.

All must be checked are the current revision during the check of the flight library in the prelim preflight checks.

I think some airlines are carrying IPADS for a 'paperless' flight deck.  That seems to be the trend now.  I would think for the T7 you could do the same thing...just keep your IPAD in your flight bad instead of binders if approved.  Some companies I've seen our using IPADS as EFBs also.  I believe it's the Jepp flight deck program.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

At the company I worked for the ECL completely replaced the paper QRH but, they still kept a paper copy of the normal checklist on the flight deck. If for some reason the ECL was not available the crews had to use the flight manual to accomplish non-normal procedures.

.just keep your IPAD in your flight bad instead of binders if approved.

and then BAM!  Both ipads go down.  No ECL, no ipad.  Then what?  Memory?

Yep, any electronic or machine can break down no matter how reliable they may be. 

Yep, any electronic or machine can break down no matter how reliable they may be. 

But I think worrying about this is like worrying a dual engine failure on takeoff... 

But I think worrying about this is like worrying a dual engine failure on takeoff... 

Which can happen (AWE 1549).

In the real world, I think I would prefer to have the written copies with me and to access them when I need them if the ECL becomes inoperative.  

Regards

I've found flows are more important in this aircraft - get them down to a tee then half of the checklists complete themselves

Isn't that the case with all aircraft though (apart from the checklists completing themselves of course)? Normal checklists are there to ensure the flows are properly complete.  It's mainly the abnormals and emergencies that are read and do.

It's a shame most PC sims only come with checklists when really it's the flows you need.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I think the likelihood that both iPads would go down along with the ECL is about as statistically possible as the window spontaneously opening and the paper getting sucked out.

Don't get me wrong, I still carry paper (and a backup radio) in the plane with me, but that's also because I don't have the redundancy of an extra iPad.  Even so, the iPad is redundant to the G1000 in some of the planes I fly in many ways.

DSC_6988E.jpg

Kyle Rodgers