Sign in to follow this  
calooom

PFPX - First Quick Impressions

Mmm. for any reason I can´t go in the integrated Takeoff/Landing performance tool with the 737-800 selected (are greyed out) but yes, after releasing the flight I can export all data to Topcat. With any other aircraft selected in Pfpx it works also within !

I've been playing around with the program, but I'm a little less impressed with the integration with TOPCAT.  I am unable to export PFPX data into TOPCAT.  Maybe because PFPX will not allow me to release a flight, because it says the day of the flight cannot be more than 1 day in the past?   Just about all my flights are in the past, often days, maybe months, using historical weather from Active Sky Evolution. 

It would stink for me to have to manually adjust the payload weight in TOPCAT to match PFPX, because what would be the point of seamless integration between the two programs if I can't do that.   Also, I prefer the readout of the takeoff and landing pages in TOPCAT vs PFPX.  

Again, I'm just getting started with this complex software, as are all of us, and maybe there are some bugs that have to be squashed.

Thought I would continue with my impressions after spending some more time with it this morning:

Firstly, I thought I should update you with the my flight from last night.

I cannot believe how accurate PFPX was compared to the real life flight plan from last night. The aircraft was within 300kg of fuel (for the dispatch and the arrival) compared to real life, and the flight time was 2 minutes off (although we received a short-cut from ATC enroute). Not only was it accurate to LEBL, but the return journey was pretty much spot on again! I am incredibly impressed. Yes, it was a short flight, but I don’t think I’ve seen this much accuracy in a flight planner built for a simulator. Sadly, I'm not able to post the flight plan online, but you can track the flight if you want. (EZY6029/30)

Aircraft continued…

I didn’t really touch upon too much with yesterday’s impressions, so allow me to carry on.

The number of options changeable within the editable regions of the aircraft database is incredibly vast. Everything from number of passenger seats on-board all the way to the ADS compatibility of the aircraft. The best part is, all of this options are typically already made either by PFPX or dedicated users – meaning for the more casual simmers, this program is ready to use right from the off!

Another impressive feature is that PFPX actually takes into account all of those different variations into building the flight plan. If you don’t have the equipment to fly into certain areas, PFPX won’t build the flight plan to allow you to do that – just like in real life. This applies greatly to things like ETOPS.

Something I haven’t tried out yet, is whether you can program the same flight, but using different aircraft types. Say your airline had a variety of aircraft in their fleet capable of doing the same route, but the passenger and cargo loads were low. Would it be more efficient to fly a 767, or would it make more sense to use a 757 or A330? I’ve yet to try something like that out yet, but I imagine the possibilities would be endless. I imagine I’ll spend more time using the software to compute the most fuel efficient and quickest route possible then actually flying it.

ETOPS

I’m not an expert on ETOPS by no stretch of the imagination. I understand the basic principle of it and could probably plot a decent route using it. Again, PFPX makes plotting ETOPS routes a breeze.

If you’re traversing over polar routes or over great stretches of the Atlantic in a twin, then you’re going to need specific airports to cover you along the way. Something I found pretty neat was the fact that PFPX MAKES you plot ETOPS alternatives if the flight plan knows you’re going to need them. Just like in real life, you need to make decisions based weather, wind and fuel efficiency.

I’ve not mastered placing the best ETOPS alternatives, but again, PFPX makes it pretty simple.

I’m probably doing it wrong, but the easiest way I’ve found so far is quite simple. You look along the route and see at what point in the route your flight plan goes out of the “circle-safe” zones. Find the way point name in the route and search that when looking for a suitable airport. PFPX brings up a list of airports suitable (by the way, suitable airports are editable so if you think you can squeeze on a shorter runway, then you have the option to select that) and you simply chose one. A new “ring” will appear on the flight route’s map and if the whole route is covered, then you can release the flight. Simples.

For the geeks among you, you can edit and customise your airline’s / aircraft’s ETOPS certification.

As you can tell, I’m really, REALLY liking PFPX and the wait was worth it. I've not covered half of what's available, but I'll probably do another write up tomorrow.

Hopefully I’ve made it clear that this is a product you can really sink your teeth into.

Thanks for reading.  

I'm looking into getting this myself, but does this have to be on the computer with FSX or can i use it on my laptop?

Adam

I see no reason you'd need to have it on the same computer as FSX - unless you want to use the export and live traffic options. But otherwise I'd imagine all the planning can be done on your laptop :)

I wouldn't be bothered about the export, but would i not be able to view online traffic on IVAO/Vatsim if it's not on the FSX computer?

Adam

I'm looking into getting this myself, but does this have to be on the computer with FSX or can i use it on my laptop?

I see no reason you'd need to have it on the same computer as FSX - unless you want to use the export and live traffic options. But otherwise I'd imagine all the planning can be done on your laptop :)

PFPX can run on a networked laptop. No need to keep it on the same rig as FSX. If you don't need the export and AI-traffic on your map, you'll probably don't even need a network.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

What about the accuracy planning domestic European flights? I read someone saying that generated strange FPs.

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

thanks for the updates caloom, i am currently sitting tight on my FsCommander, wallet in one hand and mouse in the other as i wait for more of your updates.

As with many fsx addons , Its the learning curve that scares me far more than the cash.

One of the best skills in this sim after landing skills, is knowing when to draw the line on addons, so you dont bore yourself with too much learning to do. Still discovering new good bits of FsCommander 3 years on, and now PFPX gosh!!!, very confusing.

Think am gona go for it eventually, just waitng for more suckers to be ahead of me till all the bugs get fixed.Cant add bugs to learning curve on this just now, trying to start my own business.

Thanks guys, will beta test for you too next time.

I just hope this does not kill FSCommander, its a great product, but not frequently updated at all.

thanks for the updates caloom, i am currently sitting tight on my FsCommander, wallet in one hand and mouse in the other as i wait for more of your updates.

As with many fsx addons , Its the learning curve that scares me far more than the cash.

One of the best skills in this sim after landing skills, is knowing when to draw the line on addons, so you dont bore yourself with too much learning to do. Still discovering new good bits of FsCommander 3 years on, and now PFPX gosh!!!, very confusing.

Think am gona go for it eventually, just waitng for more suckers to be ahead of me till all the bugs get fixed.Cant add bugs to learning curve on this just now, trying to start my own business.

Thanks guys, will beta test for you too next time.

I just hope this does not kill FSCommander, its a great product, but not frequently updated at all.

No worries! Thanks for the kind words.

As for the learning difficulty, one thing I think I was trying to really stress is that it's super easy to use. I looked through the manual, but didn't read too much into it, but a lot of it is automated so you'll easily be creating routes. I wouldn't be put off it by being too complicated. But saying that, it's both easy to use, and if you want it to be, it can be really in-depth.

I've computed a couple of FP's since buying PFPX yesterday. The first from CYUL to CYYZ gave me a very strange routing. I eventually when to Fliteaware to get the real life routing. Today I did a FP from ESSA to ENBR. This one seemed to be right on the mark. Does PFPX give you a cost index for the FMC? I can't find it looking at the flight plan.

NAX669.png

Can the flight plans be inserted into AirbusX and NGX ?

Yes, PFPX has an export function for a number of addon aircraft. It's nice not to manually insert the flight plan in to Aerosoft Airbus anymore.

NAX669.png

calooom, thanks for the mini review you have done, I have gone for it and just brought PFPX and had a quick look around the interface, looks fantastic.

Will be playing around with it tomorrow hopefully and do a flight to see how accurate it really is.

I'm also hoping for me to be able to use it on my first 777 flight very soon from Birmingham - Dubai   :wink:

Adam

Does PFPX give you a cost index for the FMC?

PFPX allows you to use a cost index for its calculations - I don't remember exactly where you enter this now(away from my FSX/PFPX pcs) but it's something you tell PFPX you want to use(per airline SOP or your own reasons I guess).  It doesn't "give you one" to use.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

PFPX allows you to use a cost index for its calculations - I don't remember exactly where you enter this now(away from my FSX/PFPX pcs) but it's something you tell PFPX you want to use(per airline SOP or your own reasons I guess).  It doesn't "give you one" to use.

You set it in the aircraft manager (little aircraft icon top left corner of screen), just edit the aircraft that you added previously, then near the bottom of the page there is an option to enter a cost index. Just type 28 for example and press enter and it will automatically change to CI28, this is now your default cost index for that aircraft and registration.

Cheers, Andy.