Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG 777 Release Bitter Sweet.

...of those who disagree with you, including a recent public wise crack at me. You are on a very, very thin line.

Dillon,

Why do you continue to post about products that you neither own or intend to buy? Have you ever thought about MYOB, or do you maintain that you are our resident critical analyst with a duty and mandate to expound on your extrapolated wisdoms?

You answer me wrong and you will be out of here. If in doubt, vacate debate and don't answer at all. 

I am as serious as a heart attack.

My advise: Go for a walk, run, bath, or dump, but be very absent from this debate when I get back from going with friends to an afternoon movie.

All I can say to this is whatever I said to offend you in the past I apologize.  I don't recall where I made a public wise crack towards you but just the same whatever it was I'm sorry it came across that way.  At your request I'll check out of this discussion as you're a mod on these forums and this is your house. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Live in the present.  Be thankful, enjoy and embrace what is available to us whether you're flying FS9, FSX or XP10.  In the state that the world is in right now, we're damn lucky to have flight simulators and great companies like PMDG offering us such excellent products to satisfy our love for aviation, to melt away our stress and help us "get away" from all our problems, even if it's only a few hours a week.

Living life and constantly wondering "what if?" will only add to the daily stress we already endure from work, home, etc.

If PMDG wants to develop for FSX only, so be it.  They're not holding anybody at gun point forcing you to buy their product or make you change your choice of sim.

I'm very thankful for what PMDG has given us and look forward to future releases.  I'm enjoying the NGX more than anything and I'm looking forward to the boxed release of the 777.  Keep up the excellent work, PMDG!

Well I made a 777-induced return to FSX this weekend, and I can only say how little I am missing P3D. Actually not missing it at all. Apart from the ease of installing everything, this is the first time I've used FSX with FTXG and early impressions are that it makes a even bigger contrbution to smoothness than it seems to with P3D.

I'd swear everything just feels more "right" with a moderately tweaked FSX. Maybe it's the fresh install, admittedly, but I really can't see me wanting to go back at all.

FSX is doing better and growing now because the hardware is finally able to perform to the software. But it continues to grow. I'm happy. :-)

I'd never use XP because it just doesn't work for me. I don't like the UI, I don't like the way it works, and I don't like the limited (in comparison to FSX) support from the devs I like to buy my softs from.

... indeed!

Really:

How i wished there was a serious alternative for the aging FSX.

Although i - as so many of us - try and do my best to keep it alive and enjoy what it has to offer i really have to agree to the fact that FSX now also clearly shows its limits.

I am sure there will - again be some workarounds and for sure FSX is very alive and will continue to be so for quite sometime - and for lots of very good reasons!

But then again:

Isn't it sad to have potentially great add-ons which simply can often (not always but often) not unveil their full potential simply due to the fact that FSX can't and will never ever be able to handle their full potential due to its aging engine?

A good compromise and a well-balanced set up in regards to settings will always be essential, i know, but keeping in mind what all the many great FSX 3rd party add-ons have to offer now, it is just so very sad that at the end of the day even the best PC system can only handle them to some extent - and even if done so, then a potential OOM will still be a potential threat - especially more andmore nowadays.

Again - i know there are workarounds - and again:

I know it is mandatory to gain the best out of any situation- but:

Sometimes even doing the best won't be suficient enough anymore.

And the alternatives?

Well i have XPlane10 at home, tried it, but gave up just as others and i am still surprised that there is obviously no intent from XPlane to become more user-friendly.

Sorry, to say it that straight forward, but:

I want to fly in a sim and try out and want to be able to be learning by doing and not(!) spend hours in advance before even being able to get into a airplane's cockpit actually.

Sure FSX requires tweaking and all that as well, but if i want to, i can still easily load up the default Cessna and go flying within minutes - ... not so in XPlane.

I am not scared away of XPlanes installation size, but all these control set up and the somehow weird GUI, i think, is simply still scaring away many potential new XPlane users - and even in version 10 this has not changed.

I at least want to fly in a sim at first - and then comes the fine tuning stuff anyways.

I know:

XPlane has some great potential - but until now at least - and i am not the only one - its potential remains unveiled for me as a simmer.

Cheers, Christoph

P.S.. Still remaining open towards XPlane 10 and any other flightsimming platform and sure won't give up easily! But for now at least, that is my personal point of view. Willing to change it any time though for sure if convinced to do so!

Excellent Comments my fellow flight simmers.  So let me weigh in on this meaty topic.  I found out about PMDG's policy toward P3D  a year ago when I first bought it and was looking for support for the MD-11.  I got into a lengthy discussion with one of their reps and to say the least I was told in not certain terms they would not even consider P3D.  So after that conversation I decided that PMDG will never get another dime from me.  They're not wanting to support us, the flight simmers, is why.  Then when I heard the price of this latest 777. I am perfectly happy with my POSKY 777 and a custom add-on panel.  It works for me!

As far as P3D when I make my next rewipe of drives and installation I will either make it or X-plane my primary from then on.  I am leaning hard towards P3D!

X-plane, I still have not figured out why they are making it so hard on the MS community to come over.  They would have to do very little and gain much.  Two things that would make it work in my opinion.  1- Come up with a conversion program that I could take shareware / free ware aircraft and be able to port them over so they would fly on X-plane.  I know that X-plane is designed much differently, but after flying Apaches in the Army I know a little about one platform talking to another.  I can be done until the community catches up like FSX. 2- Give the MS simmers a few more commercial planes to choose from. 

Apple Computers -  I am amazed they have not sponsored their own software team to be the next Flight sim software giant.  think of it. Most of us simmers spend too much money on hard ware just for FS.  So what a ticket to ride, just create the software to allow virtual flying and we will come!  A "Field of Dreams" type venture.  What does apple get, a new following for their platforms!  The PC market is shrinking and there is very few reasons software to buy a PC in leiu of a game console.

Finally - Across the Pond - Is there no country out there that has the drive and intellegence to create a flight sim platform?  I woudl be willing to allow my green to follow the flight path of any business in any country if they can create a stable and really good working program.  I could see Russia or China as the home of the flight sim platform.

So many good ideas and complaints.  We are a fickle community but we are above the bar when it comes to a hobby that is not bent on killing, robbing, or just mindless idle BS.  Do what I am going to do, I am going to paste this link to a few software and platform companies and see if a seed can not be planted! 

Blue skies to all and remember~ Takes Offs are Optional / Landing are Mandatory!

Wherever it goes from here, I'm eager to move on from FSX because it's just becoming too overburdened and bloated. I have too many addons that provide enhanced capabilities outside of the basic FSX engine that it's hard to keep track of. New addons, in an attempt to further stretch the capability increasingly turn to more proprietary methods, which makes for a double edged sword, where we like that they have moved beyond FSX limits, but it's a test of patience getting things to play well together, and each plane requires a unique and tedious setup. If I had to reinstall all this stuff, it would be like trying to put a broken egg back together. For those that plan on using FSX until the year 2020, good luck! :P I hope that very soon we can get something that re-establishes a clean slate,out-of-the-box capability, where I don't have to spend most of my time making so many different things mesh. When I started using DCS, I was tickled that it did so many things natively, that to accomplish in FSX require hundreds of dollars worth of addons, not to mention the frustration of care and maintenance.

Jake, I'll likely never even install XP10 (I got a freebie at the last AVSIM FanCon) simply because I don't have six hours to install all eight DVDs!

LOL - is it that long now? XP9 was the last time I tried, and I thought the end product didn't justify the time. It's about worth imo. FSX' full install inc. all my ORBX and associated stuffs can take a whole day to reinstall, but FSX is worth it :D

That's no more than 40 GB, right?

My current FSX folder is 250 GB - and i've heard of people reinstalling FSX from time to time ...

*cough* every six months

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg