Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG 777 Release Bitter Sweet.

Kattz,

The issue with the P3D EULA has to do with interpretation and perception about how it is written and how the Software is to be used. I won't comment further, for fear of starting one of those heated arguments you mentioned above.

Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces_zps5460df

Good enough for me.  I won't comment further as well for the same reasons.  Thanks.

Yes, it has been a banner year for FSX... more so than for any other platform!

olli4740 -- with regards to your last sentence, I think it's the exact opposite...

I find it interesting that flying Big Iron in the Sim is clearly the most popular segment of our Community, but whenever a Poll is taken comparing GA to Heavy Iron, the results are split right down the middle. I find it even more interesting to read responses from Members who are clearly Airliner oriented (avatar, signature), but spend half a page trying to justify why they are a dedicated 'GA pilot'.

I wonder why that is? :huh:

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

Well first of all there are probably quite some people that enjoy both types of flying. Another question you should ask is whether Big Iron really is the most popular or whether Big Iron enthusiasts are just the loudest?

I also think big iron fans are more organised: there are tons of VAs catering to big iron fans, which serves to structure the big iron (sub-)community, provide them with cool sigs/banners, etc. Although VA type organisations do exist for GA I get the impression there are far fewer.

Maybe if we stopped judging people by what platform they use or by what airplane they choose to fly, then there wouldn't be all the animosity that exists in this Community.

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

Pure Truth!

Well first of all there are probably quite some people that enjoy both types of flying. Another question you should ask is whether Big Iron really is the most popular or whether Big Iron enthusiasts are just the loudest?

I also think big iron fans are more organised: there are tons of VAs catering to big iron fans, which serves to structure the big iron (sub-)community, provide them with cool sigs/banners, etc. Although VA type organisations do exist for GA I get the impression there are far fewer.

I agree with your ideas regarding Airline VA's vs. GA VA's, and that there are a lot more on the Airline side than the GA side... there are some good ones for the GA crowd; Eagle Valley Air, Alaskan WInds, etc.

I was basing my opinion with regards to Advertising; in general, there tend to be more ad banners for Airliners and their associated accoutrements flashing on the pages of FS sites as opposed to ads for GA aircraft. Also, just the sheer number of posts (PMDG notwithstanding) regarding Airline ops, add on's, and Airliners overall, lead me to believe that there are more simmers devoted to Airlines than GA.

Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces_zps5460df

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I will not support PMDG any more, FSX is a dead platform, P3D picks up where MS left off. Carenado is doing just fine developing for FSX and P3D, why can't PMDG. I cant allow my self to go out and buy a copy of FSX. The simming community 6 years ago was so much more exciting, hopefully we can only climb from here.

-Positive Rate Gear Up!

Thanks!

I agree also, I use P3D more than FSX.  I also use XP10 which will soon(2014-2015) have PMDG PAYWARE.

That's no more than 40 GB, right?

My current FSX folder is 250 GB - and i've heard of people reinstalling FSX from time to time ...

More than that, really. The installation instructions on the package state:

Installing the COMPLETE scenery package will consume about 75 GB of hard drive space and will take between five and six hours to install.

It doesn't state how much space the program and ancillary files will take, but presumably 40 GBs or thereabouts as you've suggested above.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

More than that, really. The installation instructions on the package state:

It doesn't state how much space the program and ancillary files will take, but presumably 40 GBs or thereabouts as you've suggested above.

I think it's considerably less when you select only scenery region.More around 10GB. The installer will tell you...

It is probably safe to say that FSX, with all of its add ons, is a better program than it was when it was released in 2006.  In fact, it seems to have experienced leaps and bounds in improvements over the past seven years.

For the purposes of this topic, it probably is fair to say that FSX is a better program than X-Plane.  I actually bought X-Plane BEFORE I bought FSX; you could say that I converted from X-Plane to FSX.  FSX simply offer more functionality, including eye candy than X-Plane.

It would seem that a top priority for the X-Plane developers would be to continue to develop and support their FS2Xplane conversion utility.  If people could easily port over their existing sceneries from FSX to X-Plane, it would help overcome a lot of resistance one sees to X-Plane. If the owner of an FSX scenery makes the conversion itself, it probably would be considered to be fair use and not a violation of any copyrights.

I really don't see why Microsoft would abandon Flight Simulator.  The rights to FSX are still probably pretty valuable.  However, it seems the longer Microsoft sits on those rights, the less valuable they become.  But then again, we are talking about a company which just blew $1 billion on their Surface tablet.

My theory about Microsoft, and large organizations in general is that when these outfits get started, they are started by people, like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, who make audatious and ballsy decisions.  They do stuff that would get them fired in most companies, which is why they end up starting their own companies.  As the company becomes more successful and mature, the ballsy and audacious people are pushed out, and their positions are taken over by bureaucrats.  The bureaucrats listen to the lawyers, accountants and other bean counters who tell them "You can't do that," and the bureaucrats are stupid enough to believe the advice of the beancounters.  People who become beancounters are averse to taking risks, as are the people who listen to bean counters.  Since the company is now always playing it safe, it no longer innovates and starts a long decline.  For years, Microsoft has suvived on monopoly rents, but its ability to continue to do so will not last indefinitely.

If Microsoft has truly given up on flight simulation, it would behoove them to sell the code to someone else who would develop it, and get what money they can out of it.  Obviously they did not do this when they were trying to sell flight; they really did not want to be competing against their own product.

I suspect that LM has a rather broad interpretation of "educational purposes."  I don't think they want to be in the computer game business, but I do think they want to promote avaiation at every opportunity.  This promotion not only benefits them, but their primary customer:  the U.S. Defense Department.  It is hard to imagine a more effective recruiting tool for the military than flight simulator.  You can just see the tagline:  "You have flown the simulator version,  now fly the real thing."  Just look at Prepar3d's promotional trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYQ5dP0WOFA  If this is not a great recruitment devise, I don't know what is.  The military would probably love to have this program on every kids's computer.  I suspect LM sees "educational purposes" as teaching everyone about flight.

Now you've got everyone on a bandwagon. I've proven you wrong about this before so we can go at it again.

Show me the posts where I've bad mouthed every PMDG product since you've been with the company. The only debate we've had was during the original 744's release about wing views and the sound set. Since then I was disappointed/vocal (like many others) about PMDG's choice to move away from FS9 based on the poor MD11 sales at the time but I've never directly attacked any of your products. Since you made these statements we have a full history of posts here, find the posts to back up your claims.

...of those who disagree with you, including a recent public wise crack at me. You are on a very, very thin line.

Dillon,

Why do you continue to post about products that you neither own or intend to buy? Have you ever thought about MYOB, or do you maintain that you are our resident critical analyst with a duty and mandate to expound on your extrapolated wisdoms?

You answer me wrong and you will be out of here. If in doubt, vacate debate and don't answer at all. 

I am as serious as a heart attack.

My advise: Go for a walk, run, bath, or dump, but be very absent from this debate when I get back from going with friends to an afternoon movie.

My advise: Go for a walk, run, bath, or dump, but be very absent from this debate when I get back from going with friends to an afternoon movie.

Just to add to what was said above, make sure you take a dump before you take a bath. 

Just to add to what was said above, make sure you take a dump before you take a bath. 

:LMAO:  :LMAO:

...of those who disagree with you, including a recent public wise crack at me. You are on a very, very thin line.

Dillon,

Why do you continue to post about products that you neither own or intend to buy? Have you ever thought about MYOB, or do you maintain that you are our resident critical analyst with a duty and mandate to expound on your extrapolated wisdoms?

You answer me wrong and you will be out of here. If in doubt, vacate debate and don't answer at all. 

Actually, I did not regard Dillon's original post to be bashing PMDG but rather an expression of his concern that the old lady FSX may not do it much longer and that we need to start looking out for a new platform in the near future.

Maybe I've read it wrong...Dillion fancies himself as our local heresy hunter, opposition prognosticator and cold hard dry ridiculer and general all around know it all show off. I for ne, and I am sure many others as well are not going to take a single more slant from him without serious remedy

Enjoy your movie Stephen! I'm off to a concert as well B)

Cheers,

Tom

FSX is fine be around for years. FSX has its flaws, but Xplane is years behind in some areas. Think xplane will surpass fsx, but when no eye candy or add ons available of all varities the advantage is cancelled out. FSX will be around for decades mircosoft created a platform can keep payware and freeware delevopers busy for decades. GA c172 planes carendo and a2a keep me flying for years and years.

Dillon,

Wow.

I may not agree with everything Dillon wrote, but he did so in a polite and reasoned manner, as he always does.

Was it really necessary to address Dillon in such a harsh manner? He never insulted or flamed anyone, merely posted some thoughts for discussion. Dillon clearly cares very deeply for the future of our hobby, and let's be honest he conducts himself far better than many others do in these forums. Considering Dillon has been a member of this community for more than eleven years and has made over 6,000 posts I think he deserves much better than to be spoken to like that.

What is the point of this topic? To try to get the FS9 sob story scheme to get developers to try to make addons again for FSX?

Hah, sorry, FS9 is ancient history. FSX does have a future. Quit with this "Oh let me explain why other users are using sims other than FSX, CTD, Tweaks, Hardware blah blah blah".

It sounds like your just jealous.