Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG 777 Release Bitter Sweet.

I will not support PMDG any more, FSX is a dead platform, P3D picks up where MS left off. Carenado is doing just fine developing for FSX and P3D, why can't PMDG. I cant allow my self to go out and buy a copy of FSX. The simming community 6 years ago was so much more exciting, hopefully we can only climb from here.

-Positive Rate Gear Up!

Thanks!

Ultimately it's PMDG's absolute right to decide how their software operates and where it can be utilized. There's surely not a P3D simmer out there who doesn't also have a copy of FSX, so it's a case of back to the future for some, myself included.

I have been dabbling in P3D for about a year now and, whereas it has its advantages, the fact that my VRS F-18 can't work with it was gradually moving me back to the dark side, if you will, of FSX, in any case.

Now that the news arrives that the 777 won't work with P3D, well that is the straw that breaks the camel's back, for me at least.

In the end it's all about full functionality and P3D is clearly just never going to have that.

The P3D experience has been a frustrating one, with some developers embracing it and others studiously keen to avoid it. I'll shelve it for now and maybe revisit it if there is a thawing in the current position in certain quarters.

Overall, though, I think the return to FSX was inevitable for me. Thanks PMDG for speeding it up :-)

mazelda, on 04 Sept 2013 - 1:09 PM, said:

but for me if everything stopped tomorrow my system is such that with all my addon's and win7 operating system I have all that I want and don't really need anything else.

So i'm not bothered about new developers of FS platforms

The fact that Pmdg haven't added any aircraft to the xplane platform yet would suggest one of two things to me,that either they don't think it's ready yet or that there have not been enough units sold to make it worth their while

If Microsoft discontinued the ability to register FSX like they pulled with the Microsoft Online Store your dead in the water. If the world stopped today say goodbye to using programs like Activesky Evolution because with every use you need to contact their servers (but that's another topic for another day).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I still run 3.1 I love reinstalling those 3.5 floppies

Weren't there like 26 of them?

NAX669.png

What exactly are we going to be replacing FSX with??

P3D?  Great...it's FSX but with a restrictive license, don't worry, you can use this nudge-nudge-wink-wink, hope they don't decide to enforce the licensing terms.

X-Plane?  Lord i have tried to like this, i really have.  It has an interface that somehow manages to be worse than Flight Gear, no significant ATC, AI is practically non-existent.  Graphically and technically it's a step up in every other way it's where MS FS was around 2002.

Flight Gear?  No thanks. Looks like FS98

Err DCS World?  Great at the current rate of development the heat death of the universe will occur before the EU is released.  It would be nice to fly from Sochi to Tbilisi and back again over and over again.

MS stopping the flight sim is a worry.  It's possible that MS would release a final exe not requiring activation

What happens if LM decide to enforce the EULA or otherwise restrict access to P3D?

What happens if X-Plane goes bankrupt?

These are all strawman arguments.

As things stand, FSX is working great for me, i am very happy with my add on planes.  I don't think i'll be buying anything else for some time.

Ian R Tyldesley

(...) say goodbye to using programs like Activesky Evolution because with every use you need to contact their servers (but that's another topic for another day).

With every use or with reinstallations/wx downloads only?!?

With every use or with reinstallations/wx downloads only?!?

With every use...

FS2020 

The FS9 folks have known for yrs PMDG is not developing for it anymore and the P3D folks have known for more than a year that the T7 wasn't going to be P3D compatible. I don't understand the sudden disappointment. It shouldnt be topic worthy as its been debated to death.

If Microsoft discontinued the ability to register FSX like they pulled with the Microsoft Online Store your dead in the water.

The day this happens is the day the FSX community starts to reinstall FSX with a cracked copy. Their is always a way around an issue like this.

For now they still support it, if they choose not to support it chances are it will become legacy software and they provide a way to reinstall it without registry. Or we would make that happen anyways.

It is still possible for me to pull out my old Pentuim, install Windows 95, install Flight Sim 95, yes they don't support that but it still works fine.

In 20 years from now with a bit of tweaking you will still get FSX to work as well if you wanted to. I bet you some people will.

Matthew Kane

Nope: If you use stored wx you don't have to be online in order to have ASE working properly. The only thing missing will be the live AS news page on ASE startup.

My experience with ASE is it won't run without server authentication. Now if Vatsim is down you can use your saved weather but that's only after ASE is up and running.

FS2020 

Les (Dillon), I think you spend too much time worrying about the what if's and things that may or may not happen. Some of us or maybe a lot of us just enjoy what we have now and will continue to use it until the next best thing comes out.

If I have to use an unsupported Win7 for the next 10 years for FSX, so be it. There will most likely be a way to activate FSX and if not some clever folks will probably find a way to make an activation crack.

If someone is that worried about it they can install Win7 and a virgin copy of FSX to a new HD, then activate it and clone it to another HD and your good. Keep the one good install on one HD and use it to copy over to your work HD everytime you need to reinstall.

Honestly though, I am not worried about it. If FSX is my only viable sim for the next 20 years I will just keep using it, enjoying it and not worrying about what might happen, I got more important things to worry about.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSX on a dedicated machine with W7 64Bit is amazing.  FSX aint going anywhere.  Just look at where the big boys are playing.  They are playing in the FSX sandpit dude.  The best sandpit on the planet.

Enjoy.

Maybe an analogy is in order.  While we have A380s, 787s, and other newer aircraft all over these days, we still see regularly see DC9s, DC10s, 727s, and even the occasional DC8 or 707.  I watched the show Mighty Planes recently where they profiled Orbus, the oldest DC-10 still in service.  It has been upgraded dramatically, both in the cockpit and the fuselage.  In fact, it houses a self-contained surgical suite for ophthalmological surgery!

What's the point?  Well, I still have a desktop running XP, an old Mac running OS9, and PC with Win 8, and other smartphones and tables.  As a simmer, I will stay where the aircraft and add-ons that I want are available.  If this is a PC running Win 7 or 8, that will be the case.  Desktops are becoming a niche product more and more.  Eventually there will be a reason for the market to shift to a newer 64bit OS and a new sim foundation.  In the meantime, we can buy new 777 whizzy-go-fast desktops that are cool but that don't support FSX, or we can use our older DC10 desktops for flying what are still the coolest flight decks in any home sim...  from PMDG.  My 2 cents…

I'm very satisfied.  I enjoy both XPX/64 and FSX and both run great.

XPX/64 has the 777 Worldliner, which is outstanding and FSX has the PMDG 777, which is out of this world and beyond.

PMDG has already indicated that they are looking into XPX/64, but it takes a lot of time to get to a point where they can develop for it to the standard that they have come to know with FSX.

Till then, I will really enjoy both 777s and especially my new PMDG beauty.