Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Out Of Memory

Sadly i ill join the OOM club): tried lowered settings, every thing actually and i am not able to land at EGLL UK2000 scenery on vatsim (2 OOMS) looking forward hopefully for a solution.

I was hoping the big surprise was PMDG pulled their head out of a certain orifice and fixed OOM issue with THEIR aircraft. No such luck. I am extremely disgusted with his issue and for $90 US they had damn sure better fix it. I am running a win 7 64 system Intel core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83, 12G ram AMD Radeon 7800 GC. When I say I have just about every add on there is I do, AND not one other 3rd party add on gives me the grief as the PMDG products do not even the Q400. How far does this go back try the first release of the 747. I am willing to bet that these "great" beta testers experienced these and were told to keep it quiet. Right AJ? We did fly United VA together when you got accepted. Me and every other simmer should not have to jump through hoops spend hours reconfiguring deleting spending hours on forums using what precious little time doing trouble shooting for PMDG. Were not getting paid to do it we didn't get a discount. All the bells and whistles and pretty stuff don't cut it when the product does not work as advertised.

Hatches on the bottom of the aircraft ##### where is the main gear door deployment when inspection is required?  All the cool stuff and you miss the most obvious. I'm not a pilot, I'm better, I am maintenance, any one can fly a plane. Not just any one can work on one.

If there was a refund button ide hit it. I can still fly the other brand at least for visual I can open the main gear doors. And get this NOT ONE OOM no matter where I flew or what scenery I have loaded with the same tweaks used. Also 30+ years simming on and off I have gained a certain amount of knowledge regarding flight sim. So none of this is a random rant. To the ones still brown nosing please spare me I've seen way to much here. There's a reoccurring problem and it still isn't fixed.

Me and every other simmer should not have to jump through hoops spend hours reconfiguring deleting spending hours on forums using what precious little time doing trouble shooting for PMDG.

+1 on this statement, but I do think you should calm down a bit.

But one thing no one can deny, the PMDG 777X is the straw that will breaks the camels back with regard to OOMs. Just look, how full this thread is of people reporting OOMs! As long as VAS usage will be tweaked down a bit to bring it on par with the NGX, I will be a 100% happy because the NGX works flawlessy for me.

It is also possible that PMDG knew about this but still released the product to see how it would effect this community, and by the looks of it the problem is quite bad, so yes, something must definitely be done.

At the end of the day the problem is still FSX, PMDG deserve something better to work with, that's for sure. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't care about the VAS limit.

I've always had really good luck with their add-ons.  The ones I have had back luck with are the Flight1 add-ons.  I love their new king air but it still kills my alienware R4.  I'm sure PMDG will figure out some way to squeeze more performance out of FSX.  They never fail to impress.

You do realize that YOU CAN tune down things and DO NOT have to run the full Monty. You are still the master of your own FSX destiny. 

It IS very possible to enjoy the 777X as is released today (and possibly optimized down the road) with a ton of other scenery and add-ons. Just not 2 tons.

Of course developers are going strive for the biggest and the best that is the reality. It is up to the FSX abUser to decide what and how much they are going to utilize to arrive at a working and reliable FSX platform.

I'm sorry Scott, but I can't help agree with Arjen: You seem to misunderstand our point. I'm not saying it's deliberate, but the point remains this:

We're at and above the limit of what FSX can support. We need developers to be conservative.

Put simply: where do we draw the line?

We have a number of developers now who say: look if you run out of memory it's your fault. Run less stuff. End of story -  no support for your issue.

But again where do we draw the line?

What is too much stuff?

I'm saying my sim gets an OOM with the 777, FT Dubai, UT2 and otherwise very conservative settings. Settings that work well with EVERY other add on, including the NGX. I'm NOT using 4096 textures. I'm NOT using LOD over 4.5. I'm NOT using any other scenery in that area. I'm NOT using water on high, NO bloom, NO ENB, NO high res. clouds, NO car/boat traffic.

I don't think I'm unreasonable when I expect this to work.

Of course I can reduce settings further, but then PMDG can increase the memory requirements of their next product further too. And again and again.

See what I'm saying here? 

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

Sourwop

The truth is we have the platform FSX that we are stretching to the limit. While the OOM is frustrating to say the least we still have to make adjustments to what we have.

A beta team comprised of say 20 people cannot replicate the experiences of thousands of simmers with differing computer specs, background programs running, sceneries, weather programs etc.

I'm not as interested in what the beta team may have missed or what you perceived they covered up. There was an obvious sign that OOM was an issue as it was in the intro.

What I just want to solve us how I can enjoy this aircraft, (not to compare with the other one) without uninstalling mass amount of stuff. I'm happy to adjust sliders or disable scenery I just need to figure out how and what to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

It's simple for me.

It's up to PMDG to tweak THEIR detail of THEIR product to make it VAS friendly.

I'm not saying they should tweak it so we can run absolute crazy settings but at least bring it on par with the NGX, that shouldn't be too much to ask for! Otherwise, what else should I do? Never connect to IVAO or VATSIM anymore? Avoid big airports? Turn autogen down to sparse? Then I'd as well not play FSX anymore.

Scott, why do you keep misunderstanding every single post? With "should" I don't simply mean: PMDG creates the 777 and it should by default simply have the same VAS usage as the NGX.  No I mean, PMDG creates the 777 and SHOULD tweak it so that its VAS usage will become on par with the NGX more or less, even if that means we'll lose detail.

Of course, you can play with sliders. But I'm living in 2013, I have sorta gotten tired or constantly playing with settings. When I bought the 777 from PMDG, I expected them to have tweaked the VAS usage so it's on par with the NGX, simple. I'd rather have slightly lower detail in my cockpit and the same detail in my scenery as I had before, than I have to keep playing with sliders all the time.

Because your argument is and continues to be ridiculous.

Do you think the level of detail a developer puts into their product should be a function of the settings of a particular small (to be determined) group of people who are just fed up with tweaking their machines?

Attention all FSX simmers! The future of all FSX development is capped because certain simmers do not want to "keep playing with their sliders all the time".

Well if they tweak it, it might reduce our functionality. I'm not sure we can have it both ways. Finding the happy medium for me is what I'm looking for. I understand your point but here is an issue as I see it.

Detail the plane to what we request.. And we can't run the sliders all the way to the right.

Under detail the plane and people complain there too.

If rather turn down autogen and texture to 2048 then have a more simple aircraft. That's just me however and I would not assume your wants and needs are the same as mine.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

It's simple for me.

It's up to PMDG to tweak THEIR detail of THEIR product to make it VAS friendly.

I'm not saying they should tweak it so we can run absolute crazy settings but at least bring it on par with the NGX, that shouldn't be too much to ask for! Otherwise, what else should I do? Never connect to IVAO or VATSIM anymore? Avoid big airports? Turn autogen down to sparse? Then I'd as well not play FSX anymore.

This is my last post on the subject because this is getting repetitive and going no where. I heard that cheering, Arjen!! :P

It might be that PMDG can optimize a bit more. We all can assume they have been doing so all along and did not purposefully bloat up the 777X just for release day. Or perhaps add an option to allow the 2013 "non-tweakers" a smaller memory footprint for those who want less detail (tell me a gain why you bought this aircraft).

At the end of the day (this round or next it doesn't matter), you will have to compromise at some point because time marches on and FSX does not.

I was hoping the big surprise was PMDG pulled their head out of a certain orifice and fixed OOM issue with THEIR aircraft. No such luck. I am extremely disgusted with his issue and for $90 US they had damn sure better fix it. I am running a win 7 64 system Intel core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83, 12G ram AMD Radeon 7800 GC. When I say I have just about every add on there is I do, AND not one other 3rd party add on gives me the grief as the PMDG products do not even the Q400. How far does this go back try the first release of the 747. I am willing to bet that these "great" beta testers experienced these and were told to keep it quiet. Right AJ? We did fly United VA together when you got accepted. Me and every other simmer should not have to jump through hoops spend hours reconfiguring deleting spending hours on forums using what precious little time doing trouble shooting for PMDG. Were not getting paid to do it we didn't get a discount. All the bells and whistles and pretty stuff don't cut it when the product does not work as advertised.

Hatches on the bottom of the aircraft ##### where is the main gear door deployment when inspection is required?  All the cool stuff and you miss the most obvious. I'm not a pilot, I'm better, I am maintenance, any one can fly a plane. Not just any one can work on one.

If there was a refund button ide hit it. I can still fly the other brand at least for visual I can open the main gear doors. And get this NOT ONE OOM no matter where I flew or what scenery I have loaded with the same tweaks used. Also 30+ years simming on and off I have gained a certain amount of knowledge regarding flight sim. So none of this is a random rant. To the ones still brown nosing please spare me I've seen way to much here. There's a reoccurring problem and it still isn't fixed.

looks like it is medication time for someone ... :P

We had this same problem when the NGX was first released. Then they addressed them in the service packs culminating with SP1C so far. I think we can all agree that since then we have been able to manage VAS with the NGX. I know I have, and I'm on a 32bit OS. I see no reason that the same won't be true here. Sometimes you have to get it out the door, to the myriad of configurations out there, to get a product like this optimized. So I think we should give them a chance, to see what they can do to address this.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'm 100% with you. Lots of us here have got OOM when flying in to FSDT CYVR so I think we need to look at these other options too that are being listed to try. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the culprit. It's a huge hog.

I used to get oom with the NGX at CYVR. I re-installed the airport with 1024K bitmap size, also reduced the REX clouds to 512K. Never had an issue since. I did not test the 777 yet..

Stefan

Stefan Ticusan

I was hoping the big surprise was PMDG pulled their head out of a certain orifice and fixed OOM issue with THEIR aircraft. No such luck. I am extremely disgusted with his issue and for $90 US they had damn sure better fix it.

Sorry but thats a very ignorant statement. You just dont get it. Reread this whole entire thread. There is plenty of solutions. AGAIN. Its not PMDGs fault. Not the 777, not the NGX. Its YOU. If you dont believe me, run process explorer, run fsx, and load up to some place in the middle of nowhere with the 777. I guarantee you your VAS wont be much over 2gb. If your in the middle of nowhere with the 777 and you have high VAS, you have an issue with your setup. reread the thread again.  If you cant implement the solutions given, then FSX is not for you. plain and simple. Its not all on PMDG, FSDT or any developer. Balance and sensibility.  

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Last night, because it tickled my fancy, I flew my 777 to OOMS just to see if it would live up to its name. But not even a peep from the Windows pinger. I think I only have one little AFCAD there and there's not much in the way of scenery apart from a few planes parked up.

I never bought the NGX as it appeared that it would not really work well on the computer system I had then. I now have a much better system and eagerly awaited the release of the 777. I'm not disappointed - I think that this could be the best money I've spent in a long time and envision gaining much enjoyment from it.

I have learnt, via these fora, that I need to change my simming habits. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just adjusting to what is necessary to obtain maximum pleasure from this hobby. Do I really need VFR England/Scotland/Ireland enabled whilst flying WSSS - VHHH? No, I don't think so.

I'm now going to put my sim back to bare basics and add this and that until I find the sweet spot, as many people have suggested in the past.

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

Has anyone found that if you reduce autogen, texture load and disabling scenery that you are not using will actually stop the OOM issues? I certainly will reduce autogen as I really only see it when departing or landing. My OOM (if that's what my problem is) only has happened at KLAX (FSDT).

Yes. Absolutely.  Ryan, from PMDG got into my computer at one point, and turned off a bunch of MegaScenery Earth and any photoscenery that I wasn't using for a flight.  I immediately gained 1 Gig of VAS.

My suggestion is to first get the "Scenery Config Editor" http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/V1.0/  and "Process Explorer" http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

With these tools you can instantly turn off or on scenery before starting FSX (also use it to activate scenery with FSX off) and monitor FSX's VAS while it is running to see what else you need to do to manage resources.