Sign in to follow this  
devgrp

Dont install Windows updates

I decided to turn off windows automatic update because it will screw up a perfect working system.

Last night I decided to tweak my system by disabling some services that I did'nt need. After doing that I created a restore point and rebooted. I flew 2 trips in the PMDG 777 and called it a night. this morning I woke up and rebooted my computer to start fresh because I wanted to do another flight before work. Turns out windows had downloaded updates while I was sleeping and during the reboot it installed.

I did'nt think nothing of it, so I started up fsx with the 777 and half way to NY from Charlotte I had CTD. The culprit was ntdll.dll from looking at the event viewer. I restarted FSX and the same thing happened. I never thought  it was the updates, but to be sure I did a system restore from my last save point and now no more CTD.

So the point is, if your system is running fine, opt out of the updates

Turning off automatic updates - yes.

Never updating - no. There's a reason that MS publishes updates.

Are you perfectly sure that there isn't something at or in between NY and CLT that could cause the crash?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the updates, because I flew from clt to jfk the day before with the 777 and never had any CTD. I did run out of memory right when I landed though but no CTD.

One of the tweaks I did was using scenery editor to turn off all the scenery that i wasnt using and just left manhattan X and FTX Global. That was the reason I was flying that route to see if my VAS would increase but it didnt. I was over delaware when it CTD and my vas was 2.7gig.

Last night I flew from Kjac to KSLC with only FTXG and kjac activated and the whole flight the VAS did go above 2.8gig

No offense, as I'm sure you are trying to help, but recommending that people turn off their Windows updates is terrible advise. Can a bad patch mess something up from time to time? Sure, of course it can, but so can an exploit of a security hole in one of your system files. Your system restore restores more than just the updates that were installed. It can reverse many other changes in the system as well that can just as likely be a culprit in your issues.

So, I'm glad you resolved your issue, but perhaps the recommendations should be better thought through before posing them to others that can cause more harm than good.

- Aaron

I've had no issues so far and my Windows is fully up to date.

However, if we start to reach the point where Windows updates will stop making FSX function properly, I will be saying bye bye to it unfortunately.

I decided to turn off windows automatic update because it will screw up a perfect working system.

Last night I decided to tweak my system by disabling some services that I did'nt need. After doing that I created a restore point and rebooted. I flew 2 trips in the PMDG 777 and called it a night. this morning I woke up and rebooted my computer to start fresh because I wanted to do another flight before work. Turns out windows had downloaded updates while I was sleeping and during the reboot it installed.

I did'nt think nothing of it, so I started up fsx with the 777 and half way to NY from Charlotte I had CTD. The culprit was ntdll.dll from looking at the event viewer. I restarted FSX and the same thing happened. I never thought  it was the updates, but to be sure I did a system restore from my last save point and now no more CTD.

Hogwash.

No offense, as I'm sure you are trying to help, but recommending that people turn off their Windows updates is terrible advise. Can a bad patch mess something up from time to time? Sure, of course it can, but so can an exploit of a security hole in one of your system files. Your system restore restores more than just the updates that were installed. It can reverse many other changes in the system as well that can just as likely be a culprit in your issues.

So, I'm glad you resolved your issue, but perhaps the recommendations should be better thought through before posing them to others that can cause more harm than good.

You can still do a manual update even if its turned off. Having automatic will have it install updates without your knowledge was the point I was trying to make. I prefer to select my updates instead of letting windows choose for me, and we all know that sometimes updates breaks stuff that was already working.

When I did the restore it showed me all the programs that would be deleted and it was about 8 updates.

Like I said I did the tweaks, create a restore point, rebooted and flew 2 flights back to back without incident. I left my computer on and went to sleep. The only think that changed was the installation of the updates

Hogwash.

Is that all you have to offer lol. Me personally wouldnt reply to a thread if I did'nt have anything to offer

I've had no issues so far and my Windows is fully up to date.

However, if we start to reach the point where Windows updates will stop making FSX function properly, I will be saying bye bye to it unfortunately.

My system was fully updated until this morning when I did my restore, but I wont be updating it breaks my fsx. Plus this computer is only for fsx, so if its not broken dont fix it. Dont really care about exploits because this computer is just for fsx

So why not just go to your system restore point and keep on truckin....

Thats exactly what I did. I mentioned it in the first post

I don't think auto update is a good idea.  I always let things simmer for a couple days and check for bad patches first (same thing with firefox).  MS has had plenty of bad patches.  Another thing, if you do manual update and MS shows a patch as important but it isn't checked for install, it's probably a message that MS is having problems with it and you probably shouldn't mess with it.  This I don't think is an issue for security fixes, but things like the win 7 platform update KB2670838 that MS put out for IE10 that borked some laptops.

scott s.

I did'nt think nothing of it, so I started up fsx with the 777 and half way to NY from Charlotte I had CTD. The culprit was ntdll.dll from looking at the event viewer. I restarted FSX and the same thing happened. I never thought it was the updates, but to be sure I did a system restore from my last save point and now no more CTD.

Mmmm, never happened to me

I don't think auto update is a good idea.  I always let things simmer for a couple days and check for bad patches first (same thing with firefox).  MS has had plenty of bad patches.  Another thing, if you do manual update and MS shows a patch as important but it isn't checked for install, it's probably a message that MS is having problems with it and you probably shouldn't mess with it.  This I don't think is an issue for security fixes, but things like the win 7 platform update KB2670838 that MS put out for IE10 that borked some laptops.

scott s.

Exactly. I just did a format 2 days ago and re-installed everything. I just forgot to turn off the auto update. I always turn it off and do manual updates

JSkorna, on 07 Sept 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:snapback.png

Hogwash.

Is that all you have to offer lol. Me personally wouldnt reply to a thread if I did'nt have anything to offer

I would ignore his comment, he has very bad habit of adding useless negative comments to threads

I have windows updates  firmly turned off, i never update unless i have an issue, and always backup before winows update. This is easier if you have dedicated FSX pc like i do, cause fsx hardly ever needs windows update, depends what addons you using.

My old XP machine worked fine, till windows updates killed it by making XP practically unusable, and funny this was about the same exact time win8 was released. Microsoft is going to do the same to win7 that i currently use for fsx, so i dont do updates either.

The whole updatable software thing was supposed to be a good idea, now its an excuse to release beta software, and break working software to get folks to buy new products.

no problems here  doing the updates manually,  not  on automatic  that way  can check first before installing

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Windows update screwed up my system last month. I am now doing yet another full install & I had auto update off. From now on I am onky going to install 1 update at a time.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

I´m glad this topic was brought up because I´ve noticed too that it was after windows update I´ve been having crashes myself. Didn´t matter which plane I was flying I would get the windows beeping warning sound and then FSX stop s responding and freezes. Once I minimized the screen FSX disappeared. According to FSUIPC it says I was out of memory. Well early this morning I decided to delete my FSX configuration and let it generate a new one. The only tweaks I added was ForceFullScreenVSync=1, ForceWindowedVSync=1, HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the Graphics section and no more crashes. I´ve tested two flight that I know would crash FSX but, this time it ws smooth flying from take-off till landing.

I would also like to take this time to congradulate PMDG on the 777. Job well done. Thankyou.