Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Hi all, i'm new here I've been exepericing similar problems with amd catalyst (newer versions up to 13.9) causes fsx to CTD, works sometimes then other times crashes. I've managed to fix mine by uninstalling all amd catalyst and drivers

downloaded catalyst 12.1(older) and just installed with the custom option and chose the driver and other amd video codes, i didnt install the catalyst control center, which i find causes multiple .DLL file crashes. after that i restarted my pc, and now i can fly fsx with no problems + my addons and no crashes..I'm using REX,GEX,UTX PMDG etc..and no other problems since. Hope this helps you

CCC does not crash FSX. You have a borked .NET install I am pretty sure. If .NET not installed right = CCC crash.

CCC is safe and an intrigal part of the AMD driver. I never recommend people leave it out. General rule of thumb... You have other issues with the computer if it is not working.

FYI - 13.4 was the driver that was fine in DX9. It is only a year old. It can be found at AMD's website.

Charles.

AMD User from back in the day to present. Dozens of driver versions and 5 card models in 3 years. with Multiple AMD using Sim Buddies I work with all the time. All happy.

PS - I hope these new drivers (13.11) get this fixed. I want to play BF4 as well on my 7970.

C.

13.10 crashed my win 7 64 bit ultimate edition running dx9, booted into safe mode & removed all amd entries with driver sweeper as nothing else on my system is amd , rebooted & installed 13.4 for my msi 6970 twin frozr, I've had enough of amd gpu's and I'm going to get a nvidia card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

13.10 crashed my win 7 64 bit ultimate edition running dx9, booted into safe mode & removed all amd entries with driver sweeper as nothing else on my system is amd , rebooted & installed 13.4 for my msi 6970 twin frozr, I've had enough of amd gpu's and I'm going to get a nvidia card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Anything after a 6970 will be an upgrade. It's pretty enimic. If you want you can drop the 13.4 version atiumdag.dll file in the FSX directory and the new drivers will work apparently.

If you only sim, why do you care if your on 13.4 or 13.9 really? Does not work any differently in FSX. But if you are playing other games and 13.9 or .10 or .11 are needed then I get ya. Sure. 13.10 is a BETA driver. So... food for thought.

If you wait a few weeks, prices are droping on nVidia. AMD just released a new collection of cards and prices and nVidia will have to answer. The 7970 GHZ Edition is now the R9 280X and is $299 and showing up all over the place. That means nVidia will have to drop the GTX770 to that price now. :)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_280x_twinfrozr_gaming_oc_review,1.html

A win for fans of either brand.

Frankly, I'm waiting for 2 things at this point. The R9 290 and 290X (New GPU Core) and the release of P3D V2.0. AMD is a monster at DX11 and P3D is supposed to be DX11.

Well see.

Charles.

I installed beta 13.11. FSX did not work properly. Kept crashing when I tried to use toolbar or change airport. I then tried to uninstall AMD. The computer crashed to blue screen and it took me a half hour before I could even boot up the computer. The system restore went through and now I am back to version 13.4. The problem is now when I run fsx it shows the splash screen and then after 30 seconds the splash screen closes and I am just looking at the desk top. There is no error message or anything to indicate what went wrong. Any idea what I should do next to get fsx to launch properly?

Catalyst 13.11 Beta 8 seems to be working.

No. crashes atiumdag.dll in DX9. At least the most popular payware aircraft.

I have told AMD about this problem. It would be great if others do the same so they take this seriously.

No. crashes atiumdag.dll in DX9. At least the most popular payware aircraft.

I have told AMD about this problem. It would be great if others do the same so they take this seriously.

News from AMD...

A reply to my thread on thier wupport forums. I guess we HAVE been reporting the issue. Good work everyone! AMD will fix things when they know about them. Or at least they will try in my experience.

Marc@AMD has posted a message entitled Catalyst 13.11 Beta 8 still crashing in FSX. Fatal Error..

The following message was posted on: Friday November 01, 2013 09:27:35 AM

One of my colleagues manages the Issue Reporting Forms.  He was able to reproduce the issue, and get the issue off to the driver team.  He commented on it being the #1 issue by volume from the reports.

A fix is being worked on by the driver team.  They never provide an ETA on fixes, unfortunately.

;Marc

Also got word from AMD!

"I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver."

:rolleyes:

sounds good. Hope it comes out in a beta 9 of the 13.11 orso.

I guess I will upgrade from 6850 to 7870 for a possible GTA5 after all. With no FSX fix I would be forced to go NVIDIA but it seems like AMD will fix it soon :rolleyes: B)

Same here! Got this from AMD today

"You had submitted an AMD Issue Reporting Form on an issue you were experiencing with the AMD Catalyst 13.9 beta drivers.

Your submission involved issues with certain legacy games – including but not limited to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Your feedback has helped and I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback which helps us improve the quality of our drivers."

Great support, I never though I'd hear back from them about it :)

Virgin windows 7 installation two days ago - of course I installed thua latest drivers, since my video card was new too.

Installed 13.9, could not make FSX work. Just uninstalled 13.9, restarted, installed 13.4, restated and all was fine. FSX running at limit fps.

On the other hand, that Driversweeper thingy sounds quite suspicious. Never heard of it and really doubt it is any good.

So I recently came back to FSX and I have a 7950 and was running 13.11. Did not work and had to roll back to 13.4.

I will drop a little advice on what helps me:

Use Driver Fusion to remove all traces of the old driver. It is cheap and works great!! Honestly do not just trust AMD to remove everything with an uninstall - you will see when Driver Fusion makes it's analysis everything it finds.

http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Also I recommend very highly these other softwares:

ALWAYS run Acronis before making sweeping changes to your system...ALWAYS.

http://www.acronis.com/

Also use Tuneup Utilities to keep your system running good - Easy to do registry sweeps, keep startup programs to a min. and always use the Turbo feature before starting FSX.

http://www.tune-up.com/

PS - Eset is by far the best virus software (no matter what anyone else tells you).

Believe me or not. I do run a Technology company....

Oh and BTW -If you are getting a GTX 780 (like I am) the EVGA Classified is the winner - This coming from a hardcore Asus guy.

Just hope this helps somebody. :)

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Also got word from AMD!

"I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver."

:rolleyes:

sounds good. Hope it comes out in a beta 9 of the 13.11 orso.

I guess I will upgrade from 6850 to 7870 for a possible GTA5 after all. With no FSX fix I would be forced to go NVIDIA but it seems like AMD will fix it soon :rolleyes: B)

You want the 270X then. It's a tweaked up 7870 model re-released. About $200.

C.

Same here! Got this from AMD today

"You had submitted an AMD Issue Reporting Form on an issue you were experiencing with the AMD Catalyst 13.9 beta drivers.

Your submission involved issues with certain legacy games – including but not limited to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Your feedback has helped and I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback which helps us improve the quality of our drivers."

Great support, I never though I'd hear back from them about it :)

Well at least they are trying!

C.

I already posted in a few other areas but 13.11 Beta v9.2 is out and appears to be working great. Flew around a lot last night switching planes and airports and exiting and coming back in with it no problems. So I guess they listened. :)

Charles.

I already posted in a few other areas but 13.11 Beta v9.2 is out and appears to be working great. Flew around a lot last night switching planes and airports and exiting and coming back in with it no problems. So I guess they listened. :)

Charles.

Yep! so far so good, they stated "fixed interminnet crashes with legacy DirectX 9 applications".  So happy they responded to our request so that's one less hack I have to do to keep my rig updated and keep FSX happy :)

Friggan Awesome. Now FSX can live happily next to Bioshock Infinate, Batman Arcanum and BF4 (needed the new drivers for best results in those) and all is well. I fly around in heavy autogen with some interresting weather with no issues locked at 30 so far. I love it. I am quite happy. 

Now... P3D v 2.0. Get out here! I want my 7970 Ghz to slap you around. :)

Charles.