Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Installed latest Catalyst 13.9. Just after that FSX was repeatedly crashing (after loading flight) due to atiumdag.dll.

So I uninstalled (first through Control Panel uninstall and then ran DriverSweeper), and tried to install the older 13.1. And then HELL BRAKE LOOSE.

Windows not able to boot (blue screen), so I entered safe mode and reverted to standard vga adaptor. From that point, there was also a problem with windows sidebar program (not able to open).

Tried to install 12.10 and then 12.8. Everytime I uninstalled through ContolPanel and then ran DriverSweeper in safe mode.

Again the same problems (windows not booting, and when I somehow managed to get the drivers in FSX crashing, and other directx related apps not working also, as Google Earth)).

For the moment, 12.8 is "installed" just to have an operational screen so I can use the pc for internet, emails and office apps.

I ran scannow, which revealed no issues with Windows files. Also tried to download Microsoft DirectX 9 runtime, but it produced a message that there is a newer DirectX in place and no action is necessary.

When dxdiag is ran, a message popsup "DxDiag detected that there might have been a problem accessing Direct3D the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass Direct3D this time?". If "No" is pressed, DxDiag is crashing.

Please Help to get the drivers back in action

I had exactly the same thing. Mashed F8 and rebooted to 'Last known good'. Rebooted fine. Much relief! Reinstalled 3.4 and all is well again. Having said that, I've just noticed the CC isn't showing in the task bar.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Not much help but I have the same problem after reinstalling win7 and updating drivers I also have blue screen issues. Have this problem for the last 48 hours. Keep us informed if you find an answer and ill do the same.

Best of luck..

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

No solutions yet.

Have send a ticket to AMD.

It would be great if a software/hardware guru can help with this, as i am totally out of ideas.

Any attempt to install any older drivers fails.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Years ago ATI developed the Catalyst Install Manager with cleanly removing old drivers in mind as one of it's functions. Driver Sweeper may have been a good idea prior to that but I wouldn't recommend using it now, especially after hearing about your woes abax200. It's possible using Driver Sweeper caused/contributed to things going bonkers on you. I don't know though.

I did use Driver Sweeper in the time prior to Catalyst Install Manager coming out. But now I always use the Catalyst Install Manager to install/uninstall the AMD/ATI Catalyst drivers and haven't had any hassles.

Hope that helps fwiw,

Jim Richards

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

Try this next,

That atiumdag.dll is part of the ATI directX drivers, I don't know which DirectX download you tried but you should be able to use the update for DX9 etc. even if your card supports newer DX 10 or 11, 

here;     http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35    

Next,  Go into device manager, view, and select show all devices/ or show hidden devices.  Check for errors and also multiple listings of the video card.  If you find multiple entries for video card, delete them all and reboot, windows will either install the drivers or ask you to do it.   Or, if only one and has an error, what does the error say?

Next.  have you considered a system restore?  at least to get you back to workable situation.

was there a problem with the old drivers?  you know what they say; 'if it ain't broke.......

Ron.

Hi guys,

Had the same problem, after installing 13.9, FSX just went crazy and slowed down to a crawl wouldn't even load, and then CTDS!

I just did a system restore, went back to 13.4 and all was well, thank goodness!

Mal...

Hi there,

Try this next,

That atiumdag.dll is part of the ATI directX drivers, I don't know which DirectX download you tried but you should be able to use the update for DX9 etc. even if your card supports newer DX 10 or 11, 

here;     http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35    

Next,  Go into device manager, view, and select show all devices/ or show hidden devices.  Check for errors and also multiple listings of the video card.  If you find multiple entries for video card, delete them all and reboot, windows will either install the drivers or ask you to do it.   Or, if only one and has an error, what does the error say?

Next.  have you considered a system restore?  at least to get you back to workable situation.

was there a problem with the old drivers?  you know what they say; 'if it ain't broke.......

Ron.

I have already tried the DirectX update, but it comes with a popup that there is a newer version and no action is needed.

Device Manager is ok.

Unfortunately I have no restore points to revert to, as I had erased all restore points just few days ago before a maintenance defrag (still I curse my luck).

I think I may have fixed mine hope this works for you.

On the amd/ati website where you download the new drivers there is a small utility listed near the top of the page for uninstalling pervious drivers and software download and run this first.

I then installed a driver version I know worked before in my case 13.1

The problem at this point still existed for me but only in fsx I got a CTD every time saying faulting module atiumdag.dll.

I found atiumdag.dll in my windows/system32 folder I copied this file and placed it in my Fsx folder and everything is working perfect now.

I really hope this works for you too.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I will try asap.

Just to clarify: when you previously used 13.1 you did not need to place atiumdag.dll in FSX folder. So, by installing and uninstalling 13.9 something went south.

Is this right?

I will try asap.

Just to clarify: when you previously used 13.1 you did not need to place atiumdag.dll in FSX folder. So, by installing and uninstalling 13.9 something went south.

Is this right?

To be honest I'm not sure where things went south with me. I had to replace my motherboard last week and resulting problems ment I had to do a complete system reinstall. Before I even started FSX I updated my video drivers to 13.9 that's when I got the CTD and various other problems.

I never had to add files such as atiumdag.dll to the root folder before and I don't know if I'm fixing the problem or patching it, but so far so good.

Stephen

I was on 13.4 for a year with nothing but awesome performance in both DX9 and 10 and always loved my stability. Jumping in and out of FSX no problem. ALT-TAB to and from Full and windowed screen modes. Never an issue...

There appears to be something happening in DX9.

In DX10 mode I have no problems at all. But DX9... Always Fatal errors on exit of FSX. Gong show. Linking this page to AMD support.

For those that want to thrown their name into that post...

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=168040&enterthread=y

Might be worth making an account there to get this addressed.

They better not have destroyed FSX support going forward. At driver 13.4, things were never better! If this is not resolved in another driver, my next card will be a GTX780 instead of the new ATI card coming out before XMAS as will the next simulator builds I do for local pilots which I often do (I build a few a year).

I will be doing an uninstall of 13.9 + reboot + reinstall 13.4... Wish me luck!

Man.. 2 years of perfect FSX on ATI and now this. :(

Charles.

please verify that you notified AMD about this thread.

For the time my pc is again out. After running AMD utility i have a series of bsod.

I am trying to get to safe mode at least.

May I also suggest we submit this here...

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B3D

I did. AMD needs to know FSX even exists. Even though it is a niche market, it has dozens of ATI/AMD customers and they could lose them over time due to this issue. Especially those of us that primarily use AMD cards. Which for the last few years have been awesome.

Charles.

please verify that you notified AMD about this thread.
For the time my pc is again out. After running AMD utility i have a series of bsod.

I am trying to get to safe mode at least.

I am not going to use the utility. Just going to run AMD Catalyst Install Manager in the Control Panel in Windows 7. Will let you know if I am dead after this reinstall.

Charles.