Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Ah the smug joy of holding off on driver upgrades...  I think i'll wait for the release version of 13.11, 13.8 is working fine for me.

Ian R Tyldesley

Ah the smug joy of holding off on driver upgrades...  I think i'll wait for the release version of 13.11, 13.8 is working fine for me.

Was 13.8 WHQL? I completely missed it.

C.

I think the only reason why they were so receptive to fixing the issues in FSX were the large numbers of BETA bug reports we provided them.  As FSX users we are quite able to provide a good technical report to AMD to easily fix this problem.

If people never downloaded the beta, and no one bugged about FSX not working, it wouldn't have gotten fixed.

One thing I did noticed is that even in fullscreen now, it behaves like windowed mode worked pre 13.9, where VSYNC causes FPS to only be at multiples of 10 and no inbetween.  No problem for me just a difference I noticed from previously full screen vsync behavior.

Ok, I am at 13.4. Is it safe to go ahead and update to 13.9 now? I updated to 13.11 beta two weeks ago and my computer was nearly completely destroyed so I am extremely wary of updating amd. 

Ok, I am at 13.4. Is it safe to go ahead and update to 13.9 now? I updated to 13.11 beta two weeks ago and my computer was nearly completely destroyed so I am extremely wary of updating amd. 

13.9 will never work in DX9 with FSX.

13.11 v9.2 works. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

If you have Windows 7 that is your driver.

Uninstall 13.4 first! Completely via Catalyst Install Manager. Do the Express Remove All AMD software and reboot. Then install the new driver. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Charles.

If people never downloaded the beta, and no one bugged about FSX not working, it wouldn't have gotten fixed.

It would, just in the next release version, when the very same people downloading the beta downloaded the release version.

Was 13.8 WHQL? I completely missed it.

It was the last...but one release version.  Normally i upgrade straightaway, but these 7970's appear a little fragile, with driver updates.

Ian R Tyldesley

It would, just in the next release version, when the very same people downloading the beta downloaded the release version.

It was the last...but one release version. Normally i upgrade straightaway, but these 7970's appear a little fragile, with driver updates.

maybe so far as FSX is concerned. Outside of the flight simulator no more or less than my Nvidia cards. At least for the last few years anyhow knock on wood.

And to be honest driver 13.9 was the first time FSX ever broke for me.

Bioshock infinity, Crysis 3, far cry 3, Skyrim all worxked friggin awesome on my 7970 so far across every driver I've had.

maybe so far as FSX is concerned. Outside of the flight simulator no more or less than my Nvidia cards. At least for the last few years anyhow knock on wood.

Not so, i have had issues with mine reverting back to basic SVGA and having to completely remove the AMD drivers, never had to do that with the previous card.

Could be something different in my setup.

Ian R Tyldesley

New drivers worked for me.

I outlined my new driver procedure a few post up.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Just an update. I am using the most recent 13.11 beta (the one released earlier this month) and am not having the issues I had with the earlier beta. Do I need to run catalyst control when I run fsx or can I close these amd files? 

Not so, i have had issues with mine reverting back to basic SVGA and having to completely remove the AMD drivers, never had to do that with the previous card.

Could be something different in my setup.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or something? I have had two separate ATI based machines that I've used for my simulator and between the two of them, 4 different models of cards. This is over the last few years. I have two other ATI based machines that we use in the house one is my wife and one is my sons. I have two buddies that I built their simulators for them with ATI video cards. They are all seven thousand or 6000 series cards. I have changed the drivers at least once on all of these machines in the last couple of years and never had a single problem.

On my personal machine I go forwards and backwards on driver versions all the time for testing purposes on other products. Id even put nvidia cards into my computer and taking them out and got back to ATI on more than one occasion on this very same build that I use every night and never have a problem.

If I include my daughters and my wifes laptops I actually have 7 computers all running ATI video cards that I help with and I never experienced any of these kinds of issues.

This is by no means meant to be smug but it makes me wonder if sometimes there's larger issues going on in somebody's computer when these things don't work properly. a bad card? A corrupt file somewhere? I don't know.

Although I have to stay up front that all of these cases are single screen situations. I have no experience in multi screen with ATI cards at this time.

C.

13.11 Beta v9.2 works ok for me, in FSX and Prepar3d 1.4.

No more crash.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Mine is across three screens - 1= 26"  and 2= 22"  Works fine - eyefinity is soo easy to setup.

However I just ordered three 27" 1080s so gotta upgrade my card or get another one for crossfire...ehh maybe good time to go with Nvidia.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Mine is across three screens - 1= 26"  and 2= 22"  Works fine - eyefinity is soo easy to setup.

However I just ordered three 27" 1080s so gotta upgrade my card or get another one for crossfire...ehh maybe good time to go with Nvidia.

Let us know how 3 27's go for you on whatever you end up with.

C.