Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Will do my friend, Spent last night on the EVGA forums asking around and also doing research. Looks like I will need 4 gig card(s) to run three 27s in 1080p . Not an FSX requirement but for newer type games.

Research so far has shown 2 EVGA4 gig GTX 770 Classified to be the cards to get. The newest 780s only come in 3 gig. And 2 770s beat a single Titan.

But now I hear the new AMD 290s might even be a better "future proof" idea. They are as fast as a 780 and even cost less. Personally I have never had any problems in FSX with my AMD card.

Since you have so diligently discovered (thank you) that the new AMD drivers will run FSX I am trying to decide/order on something today.

On a side note - outside of getting the new Asus Black MB when it is released I will be steering clear of Asus. They have the worst RMA service I have ever been through.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Anyone know why when I try and update AMD driver on my fathers pc halfway through install the screen goes blue not BSOD but plain blue during driver install? Can't seem to get it to install at all and the windows screen doesn't cover the entire monitor space due to this also. bad Card? New card? Or other issue any help would be great please gents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Hey Wayne what are the system specs - Vid card make - I have found going to the manufacturers forums to be very good for finding people with similar experiences.

Rob

Anyone know why when I try and update AMD driver on my fathers pc halfway through install the screen goes blue not BSOD but plain blue during driver install? Can't seem to get it to install at all and the windows screen doesn't cover the entire monitor space due to this also. bad Card? New card? Or other issue any help would be great please gents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you uninstall the previous driver first? Don't just update. Remove and install a new one.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Tech Tip - After the full uninstall completes, and you are asked to reboot, say no. THEN go into device manager and locate the ATI card driver under display and right click and hit uninstall with the option to delete the driver files say yes. NOW reboot once the screen goes to generic driver. Now once back at the desktop you can install the driver package of your choice. If you get truly stuck, like Need-To-Know said... Go to the mfg site and the largest AMD Fan site and ask there...

AMD - http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=454&entercat=y

AMD Fan Site (similar to nvnews) - http://www.rage3d.com/

Charles.

Ok my AMD brothers I hate to report that I have jumped ship. I just ordered the EVGA GTX780 Dual Classified. A clear winner!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130943

In the end it came down to 4 cards in the running:

AMD 290x

GTX 770 4 gig

GTX 780ti

and the winner the GTX 780 Classified

In the end I did not pick the following for these reasons:

I reviewed and posted on a lot of forums and read reviews, charts, opinions, and customer feedback then made these choices;

290x seems to be too early and not matured enough IMO. I found more complaints on forums and customer reviews that scared me off. And good advice to not go through an RMA process with companies I do not trust (Asus) if something goes wrong. Too much heat and throttling as well as in consistent memory that will hurt OC. In the future maybe a great card.

GTX 780ti - over 700 bucks, came really close on this and made myself restrain for the future - I doubt I would buy another $750 card in the future like I will the 780.

GTX 770 - Seems the 4 gig memory did not play out to a big advantage over the 3 gig 780 on all forums I checked.

Can't wait to see how it pushes three 27"ers in FSX.

Rob

Ok my AMD brothers I hate to report that I have jumped ship. I just ordered the EVGA GTX780 Dual Classified. A clear winner!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130943

In the end it came down to 4 cards in the running:

AMD 290x

GTX 770 4 gig

GTX 780ti

and the winner the GTX 780 Classified

In the end I did not pick the following for these reasons:

I reviewed and posted on a lot of forums and read reviews, charts, opinions, and customer feedback then made these choices;

290x seems to be too early and not matured enough IMO. I found more complaints on forums and customer reviews that scared me off. And good advice to not go through an RMA process with companies I do not trust (Asus) if something goes wrong. Too much heat and throttling as well as in consistent memory that will hurt OC. In the future maybe a great card.

GTX 780ti - over 700 bucks, came really close on this and made myself restrain for the future - I doubt I would buy another $750 card in the future like I will the 780.

GTX 770 - Seems the 4 gig memory did not play out to a big advantage over the 3 gig 780 on all forums I checked.

Can't wait to see how it pushes three 27"ers in FSX.

I would definitely not have bought the first batch of reference design 290 series cards either. If I was forced to upgrade this very moment from my HD 7970 Ghz card I would go directly to GTX780. But I cannot bring myself to spend $500 on a card and a GTX770 is just a sideways move. But to each their own in terms of value considerations. I am waiting for the board partners to see how the reviews of the Gigabyte and ASUS 290 goes. $400 I can handle.

You will absolutely love the 780 I think. Your 7950 is basically a GTX660ti, and compared to that, it will be a monster! Tell us! 8xS + 4xSGSS transparency AA in cloudy overcast weather on 3 27" screens in a payware plane over some great autogen. How does that play for you?! My next big move will be to multiscreen I think. 3 27" screens either off of a 290 or a 780.

Charles.

Thanks buddy, Yeah it was no easy decision let me tell you. I get a bit OCD after getting burnt really bad on a past graphics card.

I really love how easy eyefinity works and wanted so badly for the 290x to work out. I have been using three screens for the past 3 years and would never change back to one ever again. Working today on 2 - 22"ers and it is driving me crazy. New kit is in the mail.

As far as cost - I hear ya. I look at it this way; I work off of my computer and spend all day in apps like Photoshop, various cad, and 3d software.

I believe I will not need to buy another card model (outside of maybe another card for SLI) for at least 2-3 years.

It is funny on other "graphic card" forums that guys are dropping 3-4k on cards just for gaming. Man ya gotta love gaming to drop that kinda kibby.

I know I keep b*tchn about Asus however I do know they have the best - just pray to never have to RMA:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...onse-on-my-RMA

As for feedback once I get setup - you betcha! I might test running FSX on my current card on the three 27s and then swap out to see what difference it makes.

Also finished my humble little GA pit last weekend so pics to follow in the Cockpit forum when everything else is final. It is unique in that it closes up into a cabinet when not in use.

You do good work Charles with your AMD tech tips. Very generous and appreciated.

Rob

Yep I'm waiting til the end of this month and then I am also going to get the evga gtx 780 classified so I will be really interested in how you find it plays fsx.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Yep I'm waiting til the end of this month and then I am also going to get the evga gtx 780 classified so I will be really interested in how you find it plays fsx.

Black Friday is coming. Wonder how that will shake down. Reference R9 290's for $400 are on Newegg.com now and selling and getting 5 egg reviews. So what the hell nVidia. That 780 needs to be $449 or less now. Common now. LOL

I bet as soon as we see factory overclocked Windforce X3 and CUII variants of the 290 on shelves for $429, the 780 will have to drop to match or it will not be worth it. The brands better hurry with their spins on this 290 before all the ruckus settles.

This just blows my mind how fast this slide in value came. Enthusiast price point from $650 drops to $400 in a few months just blows my hair back. No one saw this coming.

C.

I really wish it has been that easy. I deleted and rebuilt many times. Flushed Shader Cache. No. The real issue was deeper. 13.9 would NOT work with DX9 FSX. 13.4 was fine. 13.5, 13.8. But then 13.9 splat. 13.11 all revisions crashed FSX up until the latest. It was acknowledged by AMD and fixed. It's in the notes of the BETA driver 13.11 BETA 9.2. Although they call it DX9 Legacy apps. 

It's working sweet now. First bump in the road for FSX and AMD I have seen in a few years. Back to good now.

Charles.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Glad to hear you got it running, I refuse to install catalyst as I believe it and it's auto-update features cause a lot of problem, despite what some users say. I've never been able to get 13.9 to work, waiting for AMD to respond to your ticket is like winning the lottery, it may happen someday but not guaranteed. They have the attitude that nothing is wrong with their product it's all your doing. I also found that 13.9 prevented me using Cyberlink Powerdirector video editor, the system locked as soon as I ran it. When I uninstalled 13.9 and went back to 12.4, it ran perfectly.

I'm pleased amd appear to of listened and released an updated driver, I still feel the 780 price is going to cone down a little more, so I'm waiting for it to happen, I haven't purchased a gpu for a few years now, the last one was a 5870 which failed just before its 2 year warranty and I got the 6970 as a replacement, I still feel fsx works better with nvidia and the 780 is a very impressive card.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Glad to hear you got it running, I refuse to install catalyst as I believe it and it's auto-update features cause a lot of problem, despite what some users say. I've never been able to get 13.9 to work, waiting for AMD to respond to your ticket is like winning the lottery, it may happen someday but not guaranteed. They have the attitude that nothing is wrong with their product it's all your doing. I also found that 13.9 prevented me using Cyberlink Powerdirector video editor, the system locked as soon as I ran it. When I uninstalled 13.9 and went back to 12.4, it ran perfectly.

There is no auto update in Catalyst I can promise you that. There is an Auto update notification you can turn on and off. http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd_to_remove_auto_update_feature_from_catalyst_drivers.html but if you don't like Catalyst Control Panel, no worries. Tens of thousands use it without issues. But murphy's law. Someone comes along and has a problem. Any traffic a person sees on their network card from catalyst is from either of the following...

#1. Having the Driver Update Notification enabled (not available anymore per the link above) and

#2. The HOME page loads web content and that can be disabled.

kE5re.jpg

Understand that they won't fix a "released" WHQL driver for a known reported bug after the fact. It will be addressed in the next driver "had someone filled a problem report" to the driver team. The link is on the driver page. That's how we got 13.11 working with FSX again. 13.9 broke it. 13.10 BETA would not work. We complained and they fixed it by 13.11 Beta 9.2. That's how these things work. People have to tell them when something obscure stops working. No matter which brand, you can wait for answers depending on how obscure the issue is.

Charles.

I'm pleased amd appear to of listened and released an updated driver, I still feel the 780 price is going to cone down a little more, so I'm waiting for it to happen, I haven't purchased a gpu for a few years now, the last one was a 5870 which failed just before its 2 year warranty and I got the 6970 as a replacement, I still feel fsx works better with nvidia and the 780 is a very impressive card.

I am going to buy a GTX780 and an R9 290 (non-X) and review them in FSX. I can return either one within 2 weeks to my local store. I want to know how much difference there is if any. In DX9, AA is a hair sharper on NVidia when I tested 660Ti versus 7950 some months ago. But I really want to test them both in P3D v2.0. That's where pay dirt will be. That will matter to me above all else I think.

Charles.