Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Yeah I gotta say - While some people (from many other forums) get angry that the card prices drop right after they just bought their card. Personally I am all for a drop in the price of the card I just bought.

I mean that is the way life is and if the card price drops all the better - Then it makes getting another one for SLI that much more affordable.

Good luck Charles on your card test. :) It will be very interesting to see your results.

I still feel good about my choice. If I had time (but gotta work so didn't) I might would have gotten a 290x in another month or 2. While the drivers did improve the fan speeds there are still a few inconsistencies I was not comfortable with.

It would upset me if I bought a 290 and then find out a month later the memory modules where changed. The 780 seems to have its act together a little better.

PS I will not be testing my 7950 against the 780. I would have to buy another "active" port adapter to do ($25). Going to hang on to the 7950 for a couple of months in case I have a problem I will not be left without a card.

Also for anyone considering a EVGA 780 Classified - here is the part number to look for - 03G-P4-3788-KR - since they have several models of the 780. Helped me anyways

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130943

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Guest JustanotherPilot

There is no auto update in Catalyst I can promise you that. There is an Auto update notification you can turn on and off. http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd_to_remove_auto_update_feature_from_catalyst_drivers.html but if you don't like Catalyst Control Panel, no worries. Tens of thousands use it without issues. But murphy's law. Someone comes along and has a problem. Any traffic a person sees on their network card from catalyst is from either of the following...

#1. Having the Driver Update Notification enabled (not available anymore per the link above) and

#2. The HOME page loads web content and that can be disabled.

kE5re.jpg

Understand that they won't fix a "released" WHQL driver for a known reported bug after the fact. It will be addressed in the next driver "had someone filled a problem report" to the driver team. The link is on the driver page. That's how we got 13.11 working with FSX again. 13.9 broke it. 13.10 BETA would not work. We complained and they fixed it by 13.11 Beta 9.2. That's how these things work. People have to tell them when something obscure stops working. No matter which brand, you can wait for answers depending on how obscure the issue is.

Charles.

I stand corrected with the auto  update, I meant to say that the express installer is the culprit, the custom install works fine if you only install the drivers (except with 13.9) If the the AMD driver teams weren't aware of the problem then they have an internal communications issue, I submitted that form, I also started two detailed tickets, eventually I got replies directing me the the "FSInsider site and the Cyberlink site as, FSX and Powerdirector being the two main programs affected - they stated the issue was with the software installed, not their driver - "a head in the sand" response" you could say.

As a result of this, my next video card will be Nvidia GTX Ti series, which according to the forum reads and hardware benchmarking test sites is more FSX compatible.

I stand corrected with the auto  update, I meant to say that the express installer is the culprit, the custom install works fine if you only install the drivers (except with 13.9) If the the AMD driver teams weren't aware of the problem then they have an internal communications issue, I submitted that form, I also started two detailed tickets, eventually I got replies directing me the the "FSInsider site and the Cyberlink site as, FSX and Powerdirector being the two main programs affected - they stated the issue was with the software installed, not their driver - "a head in the sand" response" you could say.

As a result of this, my next video card will be Nvidia GTX Ti series, which according to the forum reads and hardware benchmarking test sites is more FSX compatible.

I agree that would be a crappy reply. To bad you got a bad agent replying to you. The rest of us got this (see 2 pages back)...

#1) Marc@AMD has posted a message entitled Catalyst 13.11 Beta 8 still crashing in FSX. Fatal Error..

The following message was posted on: Friday November 01, 2013 09:27:35 AM

One of my colleagues manages the Issue Reporting Forms.  He was able to reproduce the issue, and get the issue off to the driver team.  He commented on it being the #1 issue by volume from the reports.

A fix is being worked on by the driver team.  They never provide an ETA on fixes, unfortunately.

;Marc

#2) RE: FSX-  "I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver."

#3) "You had submitted an AMD Issue Reporting Form on an issue you were experiencing with the AMD Catalyst 13.9 beta drivers. Your submission involved issues with certain legacy games – including but not limited to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Your feedback has helped and I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver. Once again, we thank you for your feedback which helps us improve the quality of our drivers."

*BAM* 13.11 Beta 9.2 arrives and fixed it. But I agree with you. If you don't like CCC (Catalyst), nothing is going to change that for you personally. Go NVidia and you can be happy. :)

I love Catalyst. Last few years, great Control Panel. IQ settings, Profiles and Overclocking all in one system.

C. 

Guest JustanotherPilot

I agree that would be a crappy reply. To bad you got a bad agent replying to you. The rest of us got this (see 2 pages back)...

#1) Marc@AMD has posted a message entitled Catalyst 13.11 Beta 8 still crashing in FSX. Fatal Error..

The following message was posted on: Friday November 01, 2013 09:27:35 AM

One of my colleagues manages the Issue Reporting Forms.  He was able to reproduce the issue, and get the issue off to the driver team.  He commented on it being the #1 issue by volume from the reports.

A fix is being worked on by the driver team.  They never provide an ETA on fixes, unfortunately.

;Marc

#2) RE: FSX-  "I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver."

#3) "You had submitted an AMD Issue Reporting Form on an issue you were experiencing with the AMD Catalyst 13.9 beta drivers. Your submission involved issues with certain legacy games – including but not limited to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Your feedback has helped and I am pleased to inform you that AMD Driver Engineering is currently working on a solution which will be made available in an upcoming driver. Once again, we thank you for your feedback which helps us improve the quality of our drivers."

*BAM* 13.11 Beta 9.2 arrives and fixed it. But I agree with you. If you don't like CCC (Catalyst), nothing is going to change that for you personally. Go NVidia and you can be happy. :)

I love Catalyst. Last few years, great Control Panel. IQ settings, Profiles and Overclocking all in one system.

C. 

If I had received that positive reply then maybe I would re-consider my now, dislike for the product. I wonder if they have addressed the issues with Cyberlink Powerdirector, anyway that's not for this forum. Glad someone got some good from them.

I look forward to your testing results charles, its great that you are able to test these cards out in fsx, I know you will give an un biased account of the carss.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

I have been watching this topic and have not yet updated the driver. Question to the more knowledgeable than me if posting here is ok.

Should I upgrade to the newer 13.11 Beta 9.2 from the present 13.4 if things are running fine and if I am mainly interested in the FSX program as opposed to the other games mentioned above?

Would it be a waste of time with my setup?    Window 7 Home Premium intel( R) i7 2600 CPU@3.4 GHz, 4 core, 64 bit, 8 G ram,     Radeon HD 6900 series  ---- 6950 , 1 G ram, eyefinity    three 24" monitors.

I have installed the panel fix for the default aircraft which cured the running cursor issue for those who know of what I speak.  Other aircraft still cause concerns but that is another issue unless this new driver helps that problem.

I get the impression that this new card would not effect the FSX but make new games run more efficiently.

Any advice would be appreciated

Jack

I have been watching this topic and have not yet updated the driver. Question to the more knowledgeable than me if posting here is ok.

Should I upgrade to the newer 13.11 Beta 9.2 from the present 13.4 if things are running fine and if I am mainly interested in the FSX program as opposed to the other games mentioned above?

Would it be a waste of time with my setup?    Window 7 Home Premium intel( R) i7 2600 CPU@3.4 GHz, 4 core, 64 bit, 8 G ram,     Radeon HD 6900 series  ---- 6950 , 1 G ram, eyefinity    three 24" monitors.

I have installed the panel fix for the default aircraft which cured the running cursor issue for those who know of what I speak.  Other aircraft still cause concerns but that is another issue unless this new driver helps that problem.

I get the impression that this new card would not effect the FSX but make new games run more efficiently.

Any advice would be appreciated

Jack

13.4 is great with FSX. Lets remember... FSX is 7 years old. That driver is less than a year I think. :)

Now. If you were later to go to DX10 or P3Dv2 DX11 version of the sim. Then the newest driver might help in that regard. The latest driver is 13.12 and was just released.

If anyone is going to switch, always follow the instructions here...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Charles.

Thanks .... very clear and answers my concerns

Jack

I confirmed 13.12 works fine in DX9 and 10.

C.

• Upvote 1

Pls help, i have catalyst 13.11 and when i change the process priority to real time (fsx.exe) i play normal. But sound like *scratch* sometimes, when i dont doing this i have black screen after enter to any menu or alt+tab (but sounds play well, game not crash). Can anybody help? Sorry for my english ( I tryed to use others versions of catalyst, but its not help.

i5-3570, HD7850 ty

Hi sorry for the google translation of my ati 5470 graphic system is Mobile and 13.12 drivers.
Hize the upgrade to the latest and for the first time with catastrophic results.
Blue screen to finish the installation.
Restart and lost icons and surprise catalyst driver is still 13.12.
so the things with my inestimable restore acronis true image partition and return to what is undoubtedly the best driver ever made ​​until today 13.12 and when you have optimized the values ​​according to the power of your pc.
In my case i3 380M 2.53 ghz.
having an excellent affinitymask a 5, because my bios is impossible to disable ht, the value of 5 is outstanding performance well above some high end lol.
I have only these optimal values ​​catalyst

Captura_zps8b3bd9d2.jpg

in fsx optimal settings

[bufferPools]
RejectThreshold=131072

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70
TextureMaxLoad=12
TransitionTime=4.000000
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1500
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=75
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=28
WATER_EFFECTS=4
[sCENERY]
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=2
LENSFLARE=0
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=1
SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0
[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series.0]
AntiAlias=1
Mode=1366x768x32
Anisotropic=1

Looks fsx excellent With this and the well-optimized driver and shader mod 3 is great.
So obviously I'll take 13.12 for sure!

Hello all, 

Is anyone having trouble running FSX on with the 13.15 drivers? Since updating I keep getting fatal errors again. Any help is appreciated, I use FSX to help remind me of IR procedures for real life flying. 

Hello all, 

Is anyone having trouble running FSX on with the 13.15 drivers? Since updating I keep getting fatal errors again. Any help is appreciated, I use FSX to help remind me of IR procedures for real life flying. 

Hello all, 

Hello all, 

13.15 is getting a bit old now isn't?

Why not try the 14.xx series?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

13.15 is getting a bit old now isn't?

Why not try the 14.xx series?

gb.

Hello

13.15 I do not know,

I know, 12.1,12.2,12.3,12.4,12.6,12.8,12.10,13.1,13.4,13.9 (do not use 13.9), 13.12, and current 14.4, including 14.4beta7

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

13.9 was a disaster for FSX or P3DXX, but other versions used without any problems.

I always do with the driver removal tool provided by AMD (amdcleanuputility.exe), unlike many reports of problems in forums not encounter problems.

Using Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Sapphire ATI6950 2GB MOBO 990FXA-UD3 with 8GB RAM, 2.8GHz PhenomII X6.

I have FSX, and P3D1.4 ,P3DV2.2.

Along with CCC use RadeonPro, only to implement SweetFX and lock external frames in FSX.

In P3D1.4 RadeonPro only implements SweetFX, P3D1.4 wheel with P3D Booster 2013 P3D Booster 2013 handles frames and other options also.

In P3DV2.2 RadeonPro just hangs frames externally.

In all other simulators options are on account of CCC, with their profiles.

About your question, the drivers you mentioned and I know, all work well, with the exception of 13.9, flee it.

Another explanation, in my simulators, not use third-party scenarios, only, FSUIPC (registered), REX 4 Direct, nothing more, I'm satisfied.

I hope you understand my words, I'm using Google translator

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

About your question, the drivers you mentioned and I know, all work well, with the exception of 13.9, flee it.
Another explanation, in my simulators, not use third-party scenarios, only, FSUIPC (registered), REX 4 Direct, nothing more, I'm satisfied.
I hope you understand my words, I'm using Google translator

OK, so you are testing them all?

I cannot help you with 13.15.

I went from 13.12 to 14.6

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.