Sign in to follow this  

DX10 and FSAA: some personal observations

Two questions :

1. What should be the Filtering and the AA setting within FSX?

2. I run FS in the windowed mode.  Since you have mentioned FSAA (Full Screen Anti Aliasing), does this apply to the windowed mode too or is it that I need to consider some other settings as well?

Ted

1. Filtering in FSX can be set to Anisotropic or Trilinear because Inspector controls AF anyway (if you use the same settings as I do). I have it at Trilinear just to be sure that FSX AF won't interfere with Inspector's AF (don't even know if that's possible but just to be sure... ^_^ ). AA should be set ON in FSX but the Fixer will/should do that for you. The ingame AA setting works together with the entries that are added by the Fixer to the FSX.cfg.

2. FSAA also works in windowed mode but I haven't tested the mentioned settings in windowed mode. Whenever I did use windowed mode in the past, FSAA seem to work just as well (although I had problems with Vsync) but I can't give guarantees in this. Maybe someone else can.

Steve you have done an amazing job - thanks

Oh any ideas on skeleton effect in the T777 spot view and VC view ?

uho?  Sorry I haven't heard this one - is there a link?    Is  this a legacy plane?

Today was spent working on the dawn dusk blend - which didn't take long  (fingers crossed) - and then fixing all the other things I broke doing it which sadly did.

PMDG T777 Stevie so not legacy - Good luck with your work I would assume patchs would be a new download from flightsim store right ?

Rich Sennett

PMDG T777

I think it should be either 777 or T7 (the T stands for triple: three sevens). I guess the combination T777 confused Steve. ^_^

BTW Sounds to me that your skeleton problems have to do with memory (the memory can't keep up with the demand): maybe you should use some lower FSAA settings. Does the same happen when you use Fixer FSAA at 4x plus Inspector set to 4xSGSS (just for testing purposes)?

skeleton problems have to do with memory

I agree but did not have this problem in dx9 and titan should be able to handle it, also dx10 is a boost from what I have read so does not make sense, thanks

Rich Sennett

PMDG T777 Stevie so not legacy - Good luck with your work I would assume patchs would be a new download from flightsim store right ?

That's my assumption I want to talk to them about the best delivery mechanism.

I would guess that there will be an update for the Dawn/Day transition in a few days.   Its done but I need to do some testing. 

That's my assumption I want to talk to them about the best delivery mechanism.

I would guess that there will be an update for the Dawn/Day transition in a few days.   Its done but I need to do some testing. 

Great news Steve!

Thank You very,very much - can't wait for the update (and any other future update which will follow)!

THANK YOU very, vey much for all the time and effort!

Really great!

Cheers, Christoph

I have reverted back to DX9 at the moment, but I may give it another shot. I had pretty much all the same settings, but for some reason I was getting horrendous performance with some Orbx regions. Reverting back to DX9 got me back to 30 locked. So I am really confused about that and is becoming a deal breaker. Also I'm not too happy about the fact that strobe and nav lights on all aircraft including AI are so dimly lit, that they can no longer be seen further than a 1/4 mile or so. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Well a brand new sim for me in dx10 so happy - figured out my pmdg 777 problem maybe this will help someone

As I built a new fsx.cfg file from Bojote tool (which is the best tool imo for a great start)

Wideview was not set to true needed to fix that

Pauls dx10 guide added buffer pools = 0

Jeroeons settings except I run 32x in dx10 fixer

And a big one noticed in 777 fmc I had vc fps set to 60 set them to 30 bam all is great now

Wow how cool - if you have not picked up fixer yet go get it game changer, amazing Steve

Rich Sennett

I had pretty much all the same settings, but for some reason I was getting horrendous performance with some Orbx regions

Hi if that was night flying which I suspect it was - then the effects fix can hit performance with the old style Orbx Effects lights (not the new FTX ones).  You can reduce the set of effects converted to avoid this.   See pg 37 which discusses this.  The downside of this is that the lights revert to being coupled to the plane lights - i.e they go off when you switch the plane lights off

Well a brand new sim for me in dx10 so happy - figured out my pmdg 777 problem maybe this will help someone

As I built a new fsx.cfg file from Bojote tool (which is the best tool imo for a great start)

Wideview was not set to true needed to fix that

Pauls dx10 guide added buffer pools = 0

Jeroeons settings except I run 32x in dx10 fixer

And a big one noticed in 777 fmc I had vc fps set to 60 set them to 30 bam all is great now

Wow how cool - if you have not picked up fixer yet go get it game changer, amazing Steve

I would seriously advise AGAINST using the old Bojote's tool. While it was great for people to get better performance, nowadays with DX10 it is really not that great anymore.

It makes all kind of changes to the fsx.CFG which makes it very hard to help people around here. They simply do not know what kind of tweaks they are already using (and why).

With DX10 the amount of tweaks needed are much less than in the old days, and if people want to have better performance it is best that they have some clue of what they are doing.

I'd rather point them to the How-to doc which Paul has composed with some decent evidence based testing as back-up. 

Hi if that was night flying which I suspect it was - then the effects fix can hit performance with the old style Orbx Effects lights (not the new FTX ones).  You can reduce the set of effects converted to avoid this.   See pg 37 which discusses this.  The downside of this is that the lights revert to being coupled to the plane lights - i.e they go off when you switch the plane lights off

I was running during the day. Night is no better. I suspect it has to do with the FSAA settings i am using. I set mine to 8x in the fixer and 8xSGSS in NI. Visually, this matches my NI settings when running DX9 and eliminates any remaining cockpit shimmer. However performance is severely affected, particularly in heavy cloud cover. I suspect the clouds are the heart of the issue. And my understanding the cloud fix does not work at these settings.

Its all good...I have been down this road before with DX10 in the past. I'm just not completely sold on the benefits to be honest. I commend your efforts 110% and hope for more in the future, that is why I don't mind contributing money for your work. 

I may revisit this again in the future...but unfortunately I think I'm out for the moment.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor