Sign in to follow this  

DX10 and FSAA: some personal observations

Just wanted to post a quick note of thanks to Jeroen for his original post.  Have followed his guidance and set up the Fixer and NI as recommended, using 8x FSAA and 8xSGSS.  Cured all shimmering except for a small amount on the VC screen of the Reality XP GNS 530.  Everything else looking great in the cockpit of the A2A 172, which had been a real challenge to me when it came to taming the shimmers.  I'm now beginning to get the point of this DX10 thing.  I don't have a lot of free time and would have been hard-pressed to test out all the Inspector setting combinations, so this was a huge help.  Again, many thanks!

You are very welcome! :smile: Glad at least one person has had some benefit of all this. ^_^

And btw that RXP GNS always seems to have problems with AA: even with DX9, while I had things setup pretty nicely, that RXP device would shimmer.

Thanks very much Paul - you are such a resource and so friendly.  I appreciate your help and can't wait to test it out after work.  

Did you attach a modified fsx.cfg or NI settings?  I couldn't find them...

Thanks again,

Scott

If it is not a bother Scott, can you detail the changes Paul made in your cfg and NI. Amazingly we have almost identical cfg's for the most part.

And from the performance numbers you posted earlier, we are in the same boat.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

If it is not a bother Scott, can you detail the changes Paul made in your cfg and NI. Amazingly we have almost identical cfg's for the most part.

And from the performance numbers you posted earlier, we are in the same boat.

SolRayz - I'll be happy too, but Paul didn't send me the revised versions of my fsx.cfg or make any specific reference to my NI settings.  I think that he meant to and if I do get a revised version I'll let you know for sure.  I'm going to try his other suggestions (outlined above) until then.

If you make a breakthrough, please let me know too.

Scott

Sure did, Scott, first thing this morning.. Let me go digging....... :huh:

Darn! It's not in the post. Sorry. I'll post it here....

information overload!

information overload!

information overload!

information overload!

information overload!

information overload!

Hold on for a minute - I have to find the changed version.... Back in a minute.

I can only think that I didn't save it, Scott. Anyway - here are the suggested changes, with a note at the top,

and again - my apologies.  I hope it makes the difference you need.

All the Best

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi all. I am new to the DX10 world and decided to get the DX10 Fixer in order to improve my FSX sessions.  I have read through the original OP and applied my settings in the fixer and made the appropriate changes in NI as per the original OP.  On my Free Flight screen the spinning aircraft which is selected always has a mild case of jaggies around them in DX10 regardless of which fixer setting I use.  This was never the case when in DX9.  The jaggies are not apparent when the sim loads up and you are in the VC but I am wondering is this normal to display the aircraft with jaggies in the Free Flight screen when using DX10?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

The jaggies are not apparent when the sim loads up and you are in the VC but I am wondering is this normal to display the aircraft with jaggies in the Free Flight screen when using DX10?

As Christoper said: yes, but if it REALLY bothers you, you could turn on FXAA in Inspector (that's FXAA with an X!) and then the displayed aircraft will look a bit better. Still not perfect though and the effect (FXAA) also has a mild influence on FSX when you fly so I would keep it off. In the end it's all about flying in FSX and not looking at planes in the main menu. ^_^ Anyway, there is nothing wrong with your PC!

Still not perfect though and the effect (FXAA) also has a mild influence on FSX when you fly so I would keep it off.

Are you making this recommendation based on a performance hit or the effect of the FXAA on image quality? Personally - I use it, and the hit is about a fixed 2% on the GPU (measured on a GTX 660).

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Really? So running FSX with anything less than SGSS is acceptable to you. That being said, if you want to remove any kind of shimmer you need to run SGSS in NI, which renders the cloud shader fix useless according to reports here.

I did some testing with Word Not Allowed's old cloud test, following his instruction specifically. The results are not good on my end. Specs can be seen on the side there, and I am using TML 1024 and LOD 4.5, mostly default config, except AF 14 HT disabled and BP=0.

dx9 using 8xS and 2xSGSS in NI and AF set internally (best visual to performance ratio on my system) 

25-28 fps and no stutter.

dx10 using Fixer 4x and 4xSGGS set in NI and AF set internally (most closely matches visuals of dx9)

15-18 fps and stuttery mess.

The only way I can achieve the same fps and stutter free experience in Word Not Allowed's cloud test, is to set 4x in Fixer and disable SGSS in NI....which results in shimmerfest in the VC and outside.

I concur that that dx10 is inherently smoother, and I can perceive it, particularly as a trackIR user. I also perceive it when banking. But, I am still not convinced that everyone is running as smoothly as they think.

Then clearly Ray, this 'fix' is not for your system. I have even increased my FSAA and SGSS to both '8'.  I still stay within the 27-30 FPS range. I am running OPUS at 70 miles for the clouds. Clearly, this seems to be a 'each system variance' here.  I have a Dell XPS running an  i7-975 Extreme at 4.02 GHz, and a EVGA Signatue Overclock  GTX 680 running with a custom overlock via their bundled software, and am having consistent high FPS results.  Yes...and smoothly...very, very smooth performance.  But hey, that is my system, and others will , or will not follow.

Post Edit:  Ray, I also, and always have run my system in HyperThread mode. Others have claimed that it reduces performance, but I have found that having 4 more 'virtual' cores and their threads, holds performance.  I had it off, and on.  On, is where I can maintain top tier....against some other's opinions on this matter.... Below I have included my FSX.cfg file. Compare mine to yours, top to bottom and see if any differences might add performance to your experience. Parse through it, line by line, and perhaps mimic what I have, and see what it does for your flight.  Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------------

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84   *****Do not add this line, it is here for your read, Ray.....(this is the setting for 4 core HyperThreading enabled)
[bufferPools]
PoolSize=0
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=2
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458434
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458434
D3D10=0
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
TextureMaxLoad=30
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
MultiSamplesPerPixel=8
MultiSampleQuality=8
[sOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
AmbientUI=0
SOUND_FADER1=0.330000
SOUND_FADER2=0.340000
SOUND_FADER3=0.340000
SOUND_FADER4=1.000000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01
[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=1
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True
TextureMaxLoad=3
[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT
SimObjectPaths.7=MyTraffic\Aircraft
ProcSpeed=8568
PerfBucket=7
Maximized=1
Location=-4,-4,1924,1160,\\.\DISPLAY1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=2.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0
[uSERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
Map_Orientation=2
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=All
SelectAircraftType=All
DisplayFuelAsWeight=0
[ATC]
ShowATCText=0
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
UsePilotVoice=1
PilotVoice=262144
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4
SmallPartRejectRadius=1
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=25
GADensity=25
FreewayDensity=20
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500            This is a great entry. Try it!
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000      This is a great entry Try it!
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=6
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000
[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0
[REALISM]
PFactor=1.000000
Torque=1.000000
GyroEffect=1.000000
CrashTolerance=1.000000
General=1.000000
UnlimitedFuel=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=True
GEffect=True
ManualLights=True
GyroDrift=False
CrashWithDyn=True
CrashDetection=True
AutoTrim=False
[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1
[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1
[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=
STATE=
CITY=
GTL_BUTTON=1352
[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[FlightPlanMap]
LineWidth=2
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_waypoints=1
show_airways=1
show_markers=1
show_volume_boundaries=1
show_ac_twr=1
[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=0
SHOW_VORS=0
SHOW_NDBS=0
SHOW_APPROACHES=0
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=0
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
[FSDREAMTEAM]
AntiPopUp=30
AltitudeCull=1
[MAPVIEW_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_flight_history=1
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0]
Mode=1920x1200x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0.0]   **This second reference to my vid card is for DX10, and so I leave it in with no perf degrade.
AntiAlias=1
Mode=1920x1200x32
Anisotropic=1
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0
VoiceVolume=2.000000

As Christoper said: yes, but if it REALLY bothers you, you could turn on FXAA in Inspector (that's FXAA with an X!) and then the displayed aircraft will look a bit better. Still not perfect though and the effect (FXAA) also has a mild influence on FSX when you fly so I would keep it off. In the end it's all about flying in FSX and not looking at planes in the main menu. ^_^ Anyway, there is nothing wrong with your PC!

Thanks guys.  Totally agree that the end result in the sim is what matters!  Having said that, how does a newbie like me really get to see the advantages of DX10?  I was really drawn to the fixer from reading about DX10 and how it manages memory more efficiently to mitigate OOM's.  Is there a typical scenario that can be loaded up to visually show off the capabilities of DX10? 

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Is there a typical scenario that can be loaded up to visually show off the capabilities of DX10?

There is no concensus on this yet. ^_^ Some say DX10 actually looks better but the only differences I see are the water (and not everyone will call the water an improvement, although I like it) and the colors are a bit softer (while others called them more saturated...). Other than that DX10 performs slightly smoother with some slightly higher settings. I like the VC shadows, which is one of the reasons I switched to DX10. But other than that...

I personally can not imagine a scenario that you could load to visually show of the capabilities of DX10! Yes, you could turn on bloom and say there is no performance hit, but a lot of people have had ENB bloom for ages without a performance hit. (I don't use bloom because I don't like the effect.) Everything else just looks the same to me.

For me DX10 is all about a slightly (!) smoother flight and VC shadows. That's it and that's all. To me it's worth it though.

Many thanks to Paul and Jeroen on their help and time. It is people like you that make me love AVSim forums.

I made all of the changes that were suggested but unfortunately I am still seeing some real slowdowns. With more testing I realized that it is ALL about the clouds. With light cloud cover or clear skies, I am pinned at 30fps even in busy scenery with traffic. But when there is heavy cloud cover, I drop down to 15-22 fps. No changes to my fsx.cfg file make a significant change in the cloud hit. I'm using REX textures and OpusFSX weather. I have tried dropping the REX textures to 512 or 1024 and it was no better than REX textures at 2048 or 4096. Any DX10 FSAA from 4X on up (with appropriate changes to NI) cause the cloud hit to occur. With 2X FSAA it is much less pronounced but everything shimmers.

I'm starting to wonder if this could be related to my GPU. I seem to remember hearing that the NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti could be problematic in some FSX settings... but I can't find confirming documentation to support that. For those of you who are also having less than stellar frame rates with fast systems, what graphics card are you using? Maybe I need to get GTX 680?

Thanks,

Scott

I'm starting to wonder if this could be related to my GPU. I seem to remember hearing that the NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti could be problematic in some FSX settings... but I can't find confirming documentation to support that.
There must be 50 posts indicating higher settings SGSS settings (8xSGSS is very demanding) kill you GPU in clouds. Want to confirm it? Run the GPU monitor found in Nvidia Inspector (little icon 2nd down in the upper left corner IIRC). Stretch it out along the bottom of your screen and get rid of the non essential monitors (fan, temp..).Go flying in the clouds. See if your drop on FPS is related to your GPU being pinned at 100% utilization.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Personally I like the bloom effects, you really notice it on aircraft reflections and lights.  Water is also quite nice although I personally like it turned down a bit a 2X Low

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000