Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stormtrooper

Is it possible yet to add third party objects/scenery?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was able to add scenery objects and DEM, but don't have a way yet to add LC and WC data.

Hey Stonelance,

I always appreciate reading your comments and insights into the inner workings of MS Flight.  For all of us "graphics newbies" what are DEM, LC and WC ?

Tom

Here is an image of an FSX scenery object blocking a runway. Gee, Steve, could you get your resort off the runway so I can land? :lol:

DEM = digital elevation model, the altitude mesh

LC = land class, the ground texture assignments

WC = water class, water texture assignments

There is a lot more to scenery, although those elements can be considered the essential basics.

Also needed, seasonal variation assignments, airport facilities (runways, aprons, navaids, etc.), terminals and hangars, and a lot more that go into creating a believable representation of the world.

Best regards.

Luis

You guys make me want to program. Too bad high school doesn't teach you C, C++, or C#. It only teaches you Turing (Ontario), and Java (Eclipse).

I haven't flown too much in Alaska.  Do you know if the extra trees are on the imagery for the airports, or are the smaller airports that just use autogen?  I think both should be easy to fix, but they need different solutions.

Quick question. C## if statements start with #if? Or what? I know eclipse is if (condition).

just a quick visit to say I hope you don't quit on this project Stonelance. this sim is so good, the more time I spend with it the more I like it. the idea there might be new add ons coming for it, it would be great. I know I'd like to buy some. good luck with your project.

Here is an image of an FSX scenery object blocking a runway. Gee, Steve, could you get your resort off the runway so I can land? :lol:

Is that something you've done, Luis, or is it an image you got from Steve?  Any info on how it was done?

Ask Steve, he's the genius here. :lol: He did not tell me, but I would like to know for some future projects such as filling in the seaplane bases in Alaska.

Best regards.

Luis

How about adding the Pacific Ocean?

It's already there, just go West  :lol:

What would be so interesting there? No offense, but I'd rather have some land than an expanse of ocean, with a couple of tiny islands with nothing and no one on them. 

Yes Luis!  Your idea of filling in the seaplane bases is a good one.  It took me a LOT of hours to land at every seaplane base in Flight.  The task is made much harder because they are not marked in any way.  By using the overhead photos and diagrams in SkyVector, and by using the touch-and-go technique with the Cub, I was able to collect them all as unique airports.  I have often wondered how MS was going to handle this, without making the waterscape look funny? 

How would you guys handle this? 

Great minds, Tom! There are plenty of seaplane base objects in FSX so there is no need to recreate them . It would be a lot of detail work, but I was thinking of placing piers, hangars, and even some bouys (also present in FSX) to indicate the contours of the landing areas. The bouys are animated in FSX, by the way - very cool.

Here is a picture of the Beluga Lake seaplane base at Homer, Alaska.

So, by consulting the Google images first, and also the charts, it should be possible to create a good depiction of the seaplane bases.

Steve's thing is aircraft, that is what interests him and where he is concentrating his efforts. Also, he does have a job, and probably a life! :lol:   So, we have to be very patient and hope for the best. No problem - in the meantime, let's fly! B)

Best regards.

Luis

Great minds, Tom! There are plenty of seaplane base objects in FSX so there is no need to recreate them . It would be a lot of detail work, but I was thinking of placing piers, hangars, and even some bouys (also present in FSX) to indicate the contours of the landing areas. The bouys are animated in FSX, by the way - very cool.

The buoys are animated in FSX?  I'm not sure I've ever seen any. :P

I have, and it doesn't look that good. At least it's animated. More about Flight, is there a way we can change the elevation of the water to make it look like it's not in line with the land? The lakes look like they are flooding everything around, except not really flooding.

Thanks for asking about the bouys (and giving me a chance to continue that topic! :lol:  )

I did have some animated gifs of the bouys in the water, but with so many screenshots it gets difficult to find anything after a while.

I hope that I am not the only person to have used them - I placed them in my Virgin Islands scenery on the East end of the runway at Beef Island, in the water where boats are forbidden (because of the takeoff zone.) Bouys are really there so it was realistic. Sorry, can't find the screenshots of that either. :rolleyes:

Best regards.

Luis

gen_buoy_01_red {450EF4A0-41DF-48D1-8867-292FBB015B4F}

gen_buoy_02_green {0FEA38E2-CEDD-4A64-B90D-8269F1B0233C}

Those two default library objects?  I'll have to have a play with those sometime. :)

Is that something you've done, Luis, or is it an image you got from Steve? Any info on how it was done?

The model was extracted and converted from the FSX bgl using a similar process to the Aircraft model conversion (actually, much simpler since there is no animation).  I think the placement was done using my own simplified version of bglcomp to convert an xml placement file to an obx bgl.  This was actually an old screenshot from when I first started playing around with scenery and aircraft addons.

Probably saying what is already known, but the MDL concept is a wonderful way to cure some of the tree blockage to the runways. If the workings of FSX carry forward to Flight.

A MDL file will suppress autogen, so a MDL file placed on the runway heading, but outside the Airport Background will take out any trees. The MDL file is placed at a negative elevation, thus not compromising the view. A few simple MDL files of varying width and length can be made for FSX format and coded and converted into Flight compatible files, couldn't they?

One of the bigger issues with Flight (just from me being Orange) is knowing where you are, to a precise degree. Wondering if the UIPC can provide Lat / Lon and Hdg and thus make it into a on-screen window, such as what TCalcX_003 does. If so, placement becomes an easier task and such a utility can help provide data for making airport files for areas like that part of Canada that ships with Alaska.

I like that the Flight graphics engine seems to work fine casting shadows from the imported object.