Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

Piston Duke: more screenshots posted

As far as orbx goes, I think I'll use Flight1's stance: "FSX is simulating flight, it should be the first priority for smoothness, and adjust sliders for addon scenery as needed."

I use P3D (with no scenery addons) for pure flight simulation, and FSX for fun and eye candy.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Then I think expect some fps loss with newer addons in combination with other sceneries.  I've got a decent system and I just expect it nowadays.  I rarely go below locked at 30 on most addons unless, again, it's Orbx plus their payware airports plus payware planes, in conjunction with Opus cloud layers/wx.

I'd consider overclocking your nice 2700K...  my 2500k is at 4.4 and I can definitely tell the difference in Orbx land between stock freq and OCed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Then I think expect some fps loss with newer addons in combination with other sceneries.  I've got a decent system and I just expect it nowadays.  I rarely go below locked at 30 on most addons unless, again, it's Orbx plus their payware airports plus payware planes, in conjunction with Opus cloud layers/wx.

I'd consider overclocking your nice 2700K...  my 2500k is at 4.4 and I can definitely tell the difference in Orbx land between stock freq and OCed.

Tried to OC. Had it stable at 5GHz for a week or so, but to me the difference wasn't worth the risk of blowing a fuse on the motherboard :). I use my computer for other critical tasks and I can't risk a corrupted file that can result from an unstable OC (You can never be sure if it is stable - even if you run various test programs for a day or two).

I expect fps loss as well compared to default aircraft, especially if they have realistic systems. I'm just worried that all this HD eyecandy craze is going to make it worse.

Yes, I think you need to be sensible about overclocking. When I purchased my i5 2500k powered PC two years ago, it was advertised as "overclocked to 4.7Ghz". When it arrived, it was set to 4.5Ghz. That was fine by me, but I ran some stress tests on the CPU to check that everything was OK. One of these tests consistently failed after a certain period of time (one of the cores was reporting a calculation that did not match the CPU testing software's prediction). I also suffered a single reboot that was stated to be due to the overclocked CPU (the system automatically reset the clock frequency to 3.3Ghz after this). Based on these two facts, I decided to reduce the overclock to 4.3Ghz (since the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is negligible), and my PC has run fine and perfectly stable ever since. It also passed that test that it had been consistently failing at when clocked at 4.5Ghz.

I think I made the right decision, since an overclocked CPU that delivers incorrect calculation results is almost as bad as a fried one!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5GHz and no difference? Holy moly... There should be a huge difference especially in the scenery you listed.

5GHz is a little over the top unless you have superb HSF. Did you try 4.5 - 4.7? Better voltage for the frequency lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5GHz and no difference? Holy moly... There should be a huge difference especially in the scenery you listed.

5GHz is a little over the top unless you have superb HSF. Did you try 4.5 - 4.7? Better voltage for the frequency lol.

It is noticable, but not huge. Besides, you won't get rid of the stuttering and VAS limit, so to me the gain isn't really worth it. I use a Corsair H100 watercooler with 4 custom fans. CPU temp wasn't really a problem, but keeping the RAM and Motherboard from melting wasn't easy. Lucikly we have cold winters in Norway so I placed the case beside a window to get cold dry air sucked into the case.

Sorry to be blunt but the Duke has never been an fps eater relative to other detailed GA addons. The V2 piston duke will have higher resolution textures, plus an option to keep the whole lot loaded if you are switching views, or flushed from memory if you prefer. But we didn't go mad on texture resolution because 4096 textures can seriously degrade performance and we avoid this. Our testers are reporting 30+ fps minimum in typical scenery with sliders at an average but not low or super high level. You can't have tons of detail and expect miracles whether it is scenery or aircraft, or traffic.

If you get frame rate problems running high detail in ORBX scenery then blame it on an aircraft it does seem a bit unfair.

Well I've solved the problem. I downloaded the updates and found out that you can decrease graphics in the aircraft configuration software. Very nice feature. Going to take it for a trip up the Alaskan Coaatline and see if fps gets better.

Any comments regarding upgrade vs extra cost appreciated.

ZORAN

Night and day differences to me at least. I did done direct visual compares but I'm away at the moment won't be able to post them.

If you have the Legacy the new Duke sports the same type sounds/effects etc and obviously the beautiful visual updates.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Surprised to hear you say this.  Neither the Turbine nor Piston Dukes are frame-hogs on my modest machine.

It's not too hard on my machine either, and its a lot more modest than yours... :smile:  This update wil be a sure buy for me when my budget recovers from recent...activity.

The Realair servers have gone off line.

No buy now link at the moment.

There's a gremlin in the works.