Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MindYerBeak

Piston Duke: more screenshots posted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I wonder if this update will be available to purchase this weekend? There are only two days left in September!

Hopefully it will be fps optimized graphics. The Duke is allready an fps eater, at least the turbine version.

Hopefully it will be fps optimized graphics. The Duke is allready an fps eater, at least the turbine version.

Surprised to hear you say this.  Neither the Turbine nor Piston Dukes are frame-hogs on my modest machine.

Of course, I use RXP GPS's rather than the stock ones, and in a number of cases I've noted that seems to make a substantial positive performance impact.

Scott

Delicious!  One of my favorite aircraft.  Great of FPS, great on VAS, can run 4096 textures and LOD 9.5 with this Aircraft under any weather conditions.

Surprised to hear you say this.  Neither the Turbine nor Piston Dukes are frame-hogs on my modest machine.

Of course, I use RXP GPS's rather than the stock ones, and in a number of cases I've noted that seems to make a substantial positive performance impact.

Scott

It is very noticable when flying in ORBX scenery which is quite dense!

It is very noticable when flying in ORBX scenery which is quite dense!

Understood.   I do a majority of my flying in Orbx regions and to/from Orbx airports.  Last night's flight was the Turbine Duke from CEJ4 (Orbx freeware, and surprisingly tough on frames) to the new KBZN (Orbx payware) in broken to scattered clouds (REX wx).  NRM and CRM regions.  No issues and a great flight.

Not suggesting you're wrong, of course, just that I'm surprised as these planes have performed well for me.

Scott

It's strange how FPS can be so different between otherwise similar systems. Every1's FSX is unique it seems.

I wonder if this update will be available to purchase this weekend? There are only two days left in September!
They still say September on their site, so it's promising for the weekend  B)

Sorry to be blunt but the Duke has never been an fps eater relative to other detailed GA addons. The V2 piston duke will have higher resolution textures, plus an option to keep the whole lot loaded if you are switching views, or flushed from memory if you prefer. But we didn't go mad on texture resolution because 4096 textures can seriously degrade performance and we avoid this. Our testers are reporting 30+ fps minimum in typical scenery with sliders at an average but not low or super high level. You can't have tons of detail and expect miracles whether it is scenery or aircraft, or traffic.

If you get frame rate problems running high detail in ORBX scenery then blame it on an aircraft it does seem a bit unfair.

Sorry to be blunt but the Duke has never been an fps eater relative to other detailed GA addons. The V2 piston duke will have higher resolution textures, plus an option to keep the whole lot loaded if you are switching views, or flushed from memory if you prefer. But we didn't go mad on texture resolution because 4096 textures can seriously degrade performance and we avoid this. Our testers are reporting 30+ fps minimum in typical scenery with sliders at an average but not low or super high level. You can't have tons of detail and expect miracles whether it is scenery or aircraft, or traffic.

If you get frame rate problems running high detail in ORBX scenery then blame it on an aircraft it does seem a bit unfair.

I don't mean to be unfair, that is why I made it very clear that I run heavy scenery - ORBX. 5 fps less in ORBX territory can often mean 20% less fps total. I just prefer more detail in scenery and less detail in aircraft. That said, I own both your Dukes, the SF-260 and Scout. You make quality aircraft for sure, but I'm just worried that all these high quality interiors are going to make my landings more difficult. It's on short final on short strips that fps loss becomes critical. Seems I'm the only one though, so don't sweat it Robert. Keep on keeping on!

The best way to measure fps loss is to go to a area void of anything, unlock fps, clear skies etc.  I usually test at KEDW (which has some static buildings, but there's really no water, and I turn off AI too).

Then I make sure no vsync is on and look at stock cessna.  Use that number as the base, then compare all my other addons, usually in the VC, and let the fps average out over 5 min or so per plane.  That's a real direct way of doing it on your own PC.  Obviously for most planes made these days you'll find some big drops with payware against C172.  

As far as orbx goes, I think I'll use Flight1's stance: "FSX is simulating flight, it should be the first priority for smoothness, and adjust sliders for addon scenery as needed."

That being said if you also happen to run OPUS wx, and have their recommended cloud layers you'll really start noticing hits with orbx, lots of clouds, payware airplanes and airports (and approaching VAS OOM territory).  Just balance them, and load/save cfg's for different situations.  For example, when I fly a complex plane in Orbx land I use LOD 4.5 (max in-game level), and NO AI.  Outside of orbx I normally use LOD 5.5 with other balanced settings etc.

There's lots of software out there that's a "frame rate eater', the Duke is not one of them.

Judging the from the screenshots Duke 2.0 reeks of premium quality, again.

As far as orbx goes, I think I'll use Flight1's stance: "FSX is simulating flight, it should be the first priority for smoothness, and adjust sliders for addon scenery as needed."

I use P3D (with no scenery addons) for pure flight simulation, and FSX for fun and eye candy.

Then I think expect some fps loss with newer addons in combination with other sceneries.  I've got a decent system and I just expect it nowadays.  I rarely go below locked at 30 on most addons unless, again, it's Orbx plus their payware airports plus payware planes, in conjunction with Opus cloud layers/wx.

I'd consider overclocking your nice 2700K...  my 2500k is at 4.4 and I can definitely tell the difference in Orbx land between stock freq and OCed.

Then I think expect some fps loss with newer addons in combination with other sceneries.  I've got a decent system and I just expect it nowadays.  I rarely go below locked at 30 on most addons unless, again, it's Orbx plus their payware airports plus payware planes, in conjunction with Opus cloud layers/wx.

I'd consider overclocking your nice 2700K...  my 2500k is at 4.4 and I can definitely tell the difference in Orbx land between stock freq and OCed.

Tried to OC. Had it stable at 5GHz for a week or so, but to me the difference wasn't worth the risk of blowing a fuse on the motherboard :). I use my computer for other critical tasks and I can't risk a corrupted file that can result from an unstable OC (You can never be sure if it is stable - even if you run various test programs for a day or two).

I expect fps loss as well compared to default aircraft, especially if they have realistic systems. I'm just worried that all this HD eyecandy craze is going to make it worse.

Yes, I think you need to be sensible about overclocking. When I purchased my i5 2500k powered PC two years ago, it was advertised as "overclocked to 4.7Ghz". When it arrived, it was set to 4.5Ghz. That was fine by me, but I ran some stress tests on the CPU to check that everything was OK. One of these tests consistently failed after a certain period of time (one of the cores was reporting a calculation that did not match the CPU testing software's prediction). I also suffered a single reboot that was stated to be due to the overclocked CPU (the system automatically reset the clock frequency to 3.3Ghz after this). Based on these two facts, I decided to reduce the overclock to 4.3Ghz (since the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is negligible), and my PC has run fine and perfectly stable ever since. It also passed that test that it had been consistently failing at when clocked at 4.5Ghz.

I think I made the right decision, since an overclocked CPU that delivers incorrect calculation results is almost as bad as a fried one!

5GHz and no difference? Holy moly... There should be a huge difference especially in the scenery you listed.

5GHz is a little over the top unless you have superb HSF. Did you try 4.5 - 4.7? Better voltage for the frequency lol.

5GHz and no difference? Holy moly... There should be a huge difference especially in the scenery you listed.

5GHz is a little over the top unless you have superb HSF. Did you try 4.5 - 4.7? Better voltage for the frequency lol.

It is noticable, but not huge. Besides, you won't get rid of the stuttering and VAS limit, so to me the gain isn't really worth it. I use a Corsair H100 watercooler with 4 custom fans. CPU temp wasn't really a problem, but keeping the RAM and Motherboard from melting wasn't easy. Lucikly we have cold winters in Norway so I placed the case beside a window to get cold dry air sucked into the case.

Well I've solved the problem. I downloaded the updates and found out that you can decrease graphics in the aircraft configuration software. Very nice feature. Going to take it for a trip up the Alaskan Coaatline and see if fps gets better.