Sign in to follow this  
CordoganAir

P3D V2.0 - Glass half-full thread

Imagine a flight simulator that you install and only minimally tweak, if at all? 

I bet some people will be like "Oh, err, just flying.... I'm bored!". :lol:  In all seriousness, I think the tweaking is part of the hobby for a lot of people.  

But yes, I bought P3D (not quite Day 1, but the day the $49 academic licences were released) and really value it as a future pathway to improvement and development, of the existing platform.

The great thing with P3D is that although we hope it will eventually develop beyond recogintion of FSX, it's starting point is essentially FSX;  that gives us certain familiarities and similarities to build on.    (In contrast to X-Plane, where your average FSX'er tends to try it and find the interface and ethos so confusingly different to FSX).

I love FSX to be honest, but thinking forward, I would definitely say;   P3D - I'm in.

To be truthful I enjoy the tweaking too. Or rather, the satisfaction that comes after you've (hopefully!) improved something. But I do think that it will open the market to a lot of people that would enjoy a flight simulator but won't or can't tweak to the extent we do. And let's face it, FSX without tweaks can't function very well.

Apologies for my ignorance as I've never been on the LM forum and I also did not catch all of the 'other thread' but is there any known 'upgrade path' or discount on P3D 2.0, for those that own P3D 1.4 ?

I've been meaning to ask... Anyone heard anything about sloped runways from the P3D dev team?

I hope seriously devs improved P3D with sloped runways and VC rain effect, a must have for this 2014's sim.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Apologies for my ignorance as I've never been on the LM forum and I also did not catch all of the 'other thread' but is there any known 'upgrade path' or discount on P3D 2.0, for those that own P3D 1.4 ?

This has been discussed on the Prepar3d forum and the answer is "no" for the Academic and "possible" for the Professional. LM will release the pricing when V2.0 is ready to be downloaded.

The difference between V1.4 and V2.0 is akin to FS9 and FSX.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

This has been discussed on the Prepar3d forum and the answer is "no" for the Academic and "possible" for the Professional. LM will release the pricing when V2.0 is ready to be downloaded.

The difference between V1.4 and V2.0 is akin to FS9 and FSX.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Thank you - that helps a lot.  

I for one am very happy with FSX, the way I have it tuned now with DX10 and the incredible addon aircraft that I am flying on the FSX platform.  Having said that I really hope LM hits a home run with P3D V2.0.  I want this to be the best sim experience to date so I can move over along with lots of other people and enjoy a new era of flight sim.  As Kevin O'Leary (Dragon's Den) says...."its always about the money" and I am sure if V2 is great it will gain lots of customers and the developers will want to participate in the P3D marketplace.

Mark   CYYZ      

The great thing with P3D is that although we hope it will eventually develop beyond recogintion of FSX, it's starting point is essentially FSX; that gives us certain familiarities and similarities to build on.

I for one am very happy with FSX, the way I have it tuned now with DX10 and the incredible addon aircraft that I am flying on the FSX platform. Having said that I really hope LM hits a home run with P3D V2.0.

Although I usually think it's best to not think about backward compatibiltiy (if that's how you call it) and that a new sim should be really new, because only then we will really progress, I do not mind at all right now that P3D is build upon the FSX foundation. It's great to know my favorite addons will work with P3D 2.0. Although a complete new sim would be great I also simply like what I've got right now and P3D will only make it better. Maybe a little bit, mabe a lot, I don't know. But I would even be satisfied with a little bit. And really like the idea I can still fly my favorite plane above my favorite scenery in P3D 2.0 (well, that;s what I expect anyway). Sometimes completely new isn't always better. (And btw I do think P3D will offer more than enough new things, though mainly in the graphics department.)

Very perceptive you are. You are the winner of a free copy of p3d v2, with or without, what you think it should, could, or might have as an actual implemented feature or bug fix.

Bob

:yahoo:

To be truthful I enjoy the tweaking too. Or rather, the satisfaction that comes after you've (hopefully!) improved something.

Well, now there's an idea for a exciting new product! "Tweaking Simulator v1.0" Price:TBD

It won't require anything other than a incredibly complex number of Tabs, Sub-Tabs, and Sub-Sub-Tabs, with around four hundred configurable sliders...

...that actually do absolutely nothing but boy oh boy, the options! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lets see how long this thread lasts from being locked. I like the discussion. It shows how passionate the community is for a upgraded platform. This is close to 2014 so its time to move on and advance to more modern code, features, and capabilities. Saw a train simulator video which has rain effects on the windshield that actually wipe away from the wipers. Just an example of things that should be in a flight simulator as your coming in for landing with poor visibility. 

Seems to me the majority of 3PDs have taken notice and have some sort of support for P3D. Plus major backing from some major developers and publishers. You cant stop excitement and anticipation. One thread gets locked, another opens up.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Hi,

I do not believe there will be an upgrade path. If you've waited this long for P3D, better off waiting until Nov./Dec. and get P3D 2.0.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

This blog from Wes Bard should provide some actual facts to discuss:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/10/4507/

This appears to confirm most of what has only thus far been from rumor, innuendo, or just plain guessing!

Be sure to view the full screen image for the water example #4, which is what the ocean will look like during a violent storm. See those HUGE waves!

That would be no place for a 24' Chris Craft cabin cruiser!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This blog from Wes Bard should provide some actual facts to discuss:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/10/4507/

This appears to confirm most of what has only thus far been from rumor, innuendo, or just plain guessing!

Be sure to view the full screen image for the water example #4, which is what the ocean will look like during a violent storm. See those HUGE waves!

That would be no place for a 24' Chris Craft cabin cruiser!

WOW!!! That link is brilliant - approved images to boot! ... and that startup screen was exactly what I mentioned only a few weeks back on their forum when they asked for input.

I am so looking forward to this my cup over floweth!

Thanks for the link Bill!

Danny Hicks

Hi,

I do not believe there will be an upgrade path. If you've waited this long for P3D, better off waiting until Nov./Dec. and get P3D 2.0.

Thanks Mike but as I said in an earlier thread, I bought P3D the day the academic licences were released.

Well, now that we have "Facts" and screenshots, my glass is much closer to full!  WOW! Way to go, LM!

Lyn