Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

New Scenery Config Editor for FSX/FS9 Released

There's new version of the Scenery Config Editor.  It's now at version 1.1.2 and released on 30 Sep.  Might fix some of the problems with setting up groups of scenery to load for a flight.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is where I found it:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the heads up Jim. Hope it fixes the group part not saving. (have to restore Groups each time )

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Crazy Question!

Does anyone know of a tool/program, that could show scenery areas needed for a flight plan.

Example:  I want to fly from Heathrow to JFK in FSlabs Concorde X.    Obviously, I'm going to need the Heathrow and area sceneries, as well as New York area.   However, in order to show other areas during the flight, what areas should/would I add to the groups.

Is there a chart somewhere, that shows where the default  FSX scenery is placed on the map. Or is it to simply create a default group of FSX default scenery(FSXG) now; then choose the detailed areas of EGGL and KJFK.  Loading the default should cover me for ocean, Outer land(ie nova scotia etc.)  and the Boston areas as well.

As I said, crazy question. Also, if you have a default setup for the Orbx FSXG, could you post it as a screen shot, so I can make sure I get everything.

Wow, in a perfect world, just as our WX programs d/l the areas needed for our flight plan; be cool if SC or some other program, could accomplish same; and automatically create our grouping for the flight....too cool.

OH yeah, working with the DX-10 stuff now.  Any help/insight appreciated

Best,

David

Is there a chart somewhere, that shows where the default FSX scenery is placed on the map. Or is it to simply create a default group of FSX default scenery(FSXG) now; then choose the detailed areas of EGGL and KJFK. Loading the default should cover me for ocean, Outer land(ie nova scotia etc.) and the Boston areas as well

When I fly I just enable any commercial addon scenery that might cover the area that I'm flying in.  If I have no commercial scenery, then the default (GEX) will be used.  I know FSBuild shows a complete view of your route so as to give you an idea of the areas you are flying over.  The latest commercial flightplan program has that capability too.

if you have a default setup for the Orbx FSXG, could you post it as a screen shot, so I can make sure I get everything.

I don't own that program but be very careful editing Orbx areas in the SceneryConfigEditor.  Always use their program to enable the scenery in your scenery.cfg/SceneryConfigEditor.  Be very careful with disabling any of the enabled scenery as there are components that work with other components.  It might be best to just enable the Orbx areas and just disable any of the non-Orbx areas you will not be flying over. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Crazy Question!

Does anyone know of a tool/program, that could show scenery areas needed for a flight plan.

Example:  I want to fly from Heathrow to JFK in FSlabs Concorde X.    Obviously, I'm going to need the Heathrow and area sceneries, as well as New York area.   However, in order to show other areas during the flight, what areas should/would I add to the groups.

Is there a chart somewhere, that shows where the default  FSX scenery is placed on the map.

David

Here you go David. This is the Scenery Editor 1.1, along with the map you need. The MS FSX scenery world is numbered (the \Scenery\ folder in FSX) from this map, and repeated into the Scenery Library. This will allow you to "not load" any that - say "Africa" are not needed for that flight. Here's a pic.

The new version referred to in this post above will work too - I just haven't opened it yet-ok!

PS - Thanks for the find Jim!! You da MAN!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Please can anyone clarify whether it is necessary or advisable to change the priority numbers in group view. I know that in the actual MSFSX the default scenery is on the bottom and all subsequent scenery is loaded over this ie if I had 3 add on scenerys default would be 4 and the latest install of scenery would be 1. In list view the order of the scenery is as expected with the default at the bottom with the largest numbers I notice that since I have grouped the scenery the default scenery ( in the group view) has a lower number than some add ons suggesting the default would be lying over the add on. However in the list view the default is on the bottom with the largest number. I presume therefore that it is not necessary to change the Priority numbers in the group view.

Michael

All addon scenery must be located above the default scenery.  When you select a group you have to save that as your scenery.cfg in order to activate that group.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thank-you for the reply. I have to say I am very pleased with this program which has really helped to reduce the number of OOM and CTD problems associated with the advanced airliner software in FSX. I have to say I looked at it for a few weeks until I plucked up the courage to try it but now I understand how it works I would thoroughly recommend it.

Michael

Is there a guide or forum around that gives instruction on what can and shouldn't be disabled?  You know, kind of a you can do this but don't ever do that, type of thing.

I am looking at anything to get rid of my OOM's and I have 206 objects in my scenery file according to Scenery Config Editor. 

Thanks

Rick S.

I would not recommend disabling the default scenery which could be Edwards_AFB if you have Acceleration or Addon Scenery if you have SP2.  I have read where some individuals have removed some of their default.  Not sure if this is worthwhile as default textures do not take up resources.  You should never disable any Orbx/FTX scenery but do that only with the FTX Central.  Photoscenery is the main stuff to disable if you are not flying over it as it will load any photoscenery you have from around the world and you will run out of VAS fast.

No, there is no guide or forum around that gives instruction on what can and shouldn't be disabled.  Many people do not even use the Scenery Config Editor and never even heard of it. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thought I'd resurect this thread rather than start another new one...

This program is a brilliant piece of software, but I'm having a BIG issue with 'Groups'.

Wondering if anyone can answer or tell me what I'm doing wrong...?

Several times now I've created a number of groups that I want to work with.  Problem is though, EVERY SINGLE TIME I run FTX Central to change flying regions, then all my Groups in Scenery Config just disappear:-(

I am aware that I must not change any FTX/Orbx settings.

To my knowledge that is a known issue with FTX Central. I use the "restore" option in the Scenery editor which will fix some of them, but I still end up with some scenery entries that lose their group association.

- Aaron