Sign in to follow this  
Vadith

Taxi

Hey,

When im going to taxi they tell me to go to runway 16R but how i know wich direction its night, i cant see anything how can i read those taxi sings cus i dont understand them.

Here are some suggestions:

Go to ariel view to see where you are.

Get a chart for the airport so you can see where you are and where you need to go to.

Google 'airport signs' and you will find plenty of information.

Why not change the time to daytime to begin with? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxiway

Also, as stated, get charts for the airport. They sure come in handy. Especially at ORD.

Hey,

When im going to taxi they tell me to go to runway 16R but how i know wich direction its night, i cant see anything how can i read those taxi sings cus i dont understand them.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

I second the advice on airport charts, you can usually find some if you do a Google search for the ICAO code in connection with "airport charts" or something similar. This is often very helpful. Alternatively, go to top-down view before you ask for taxi clearance, so you get an idea where you are realtive to the runways.

However, in the Ground Control transmissions I've listened on Youtube, controllers may give you more detailed instructions (e.g. "turn left/right on TWY X"), but as far as I'm aware this is impossible in FSX.

(...) However, in the Ground Control transmissions I've listened on Youtube, controllers may give you more detailed instructions (e.g. "turn left/right on TWY X"), but as far as I'm aware this is impossible in FSX.

VoxATC does this. It also overlays the relevant taxiways with its own 'active taxiway markings'. And ProFlightEmulator comes with a taxiway guidance system.

Default ATC has the 'continuous taxi instructions'. RadarContact continuously displays distance and bearing to the departure end of the active runway.

There are also payware addons available that provide follow-me cars TO the departure runways and a moving (GPS-like) airport/taxiway map, highlighting the active taxi route.

Having airport charts is a great start, but airports can be changed over time, taxiways and runways get added, changed or closed, so those charts might not be 100% accurate with FSX airports.

Learning to read taxi signs is important.  First thing to know, a yellow letter or number on a black background indicates the taxiway you are currently sitting upon. 

Black Letters and numbers on a yellow background are showing you intersections and to which taxiway each direction will take you. 

White numbers and letters on a red background indicate runways.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Search for and download followme2.  That will provide a follow me car that will guide you to the runway (and back to the stand after you land).

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

If you want to simulate reality, suggest performing in kind.  Learning how to read taxiway signs and airport familiarization should complement your piloting skills.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Take the tutorial built into GSX on "Taxiing". Go through it, and things will be much clearer.

Open FSX, go to learning centre and in the tutorials is one for taxiing...

The Taxi signs are not hard to understand once you know the basics.  You absolutely need the chart of the airport unless you've got the place memorized.    The first and easiest thing to learn about taxi signs is this;   if you are looking at a sign and you see a Yellow letter inside a black box, that is the Taxiway you are currently ON.   If I sign has a taxi later in black on a yellow background with arrows pointing left or right, that sign is tell you that the crossing taxiway in front of you is that taxiway.     So if ATC says Taxi via Charlie and Papa.         You will want to located Charlie from your gate, which is usually right behind you or very near you.   Find Papa on your chart.    Get on Charlie (watch for the Yellow C on Black background) and taxi until you find a sign that has P in black on yellow background.  You just found Papa.    Know which way the active runway is and turn on to Papa in that direction.    It all makes sense.   Then you just need to learn all the hold line patterns, crossing lines and you'll never have to rely on any kind of 'taxi cheat' again.  You'll do it like the real pilots do.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

This should help!

lol.  I was just thinking about this video and thought to post it but you beat me to it.   It is very useful if you want to learn about taxi signs and procedures.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy