Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone, :)

I would like to introduce Desk Pilot a free add on for Microsoft Flight Simulator X that gives you the ability to share your PMDG 737NGX cockpit with another user over a lan or internet connection.

Here is my website link(Javascript) http://www.desk-pilot.com or (No Javascript) http://www.desk-pilot.com/No_Java/index.html From there you may download the current version of Desk Pilot.

Desk Pilot Version 1.4.2 is currently in beta stage and some of the standard features have been disabled to incorporate shared cockpit at a faster pace. Due to that fact please only report problems related to the shared cockpit feature.

Things you will need are a legal copy of the PMDG 737 NGX and Microsoft Flight Simulator X with all updates same goes for the other user.

Desk Pilot is split into two programs server(captain) and client(first officer). For information on how to setup the server,client please refer to the Desk Pilot Readme.pdf and DP Shared Cockpit Crew Manual.pdf

Desk Pilot's system requirements are as follows:

Minimum System Requirements

Pentium III 1GHz or equivalent

Windows XP (Home/Pro) / Vista / Win7

512 MB of Ram

You must have the latest DirectX version installed

Fully DirectX compatible Graphics Card with 128 MB Memory or more and Hardware 3D Acceleration

DirectX compatible Sound Card

Recommended System Requirements

Dual Core 1.8GHz or above

Windows XP (Home/Pro) / Vista / Win7

1GB of Ram

You must have the latest DirectX version installed

Fully DirectX compatible Graphics Card with 256 MB Memory or more and Hardware 3D Acceleration

Direct X compatible Sound Card

Those requirements represent my highest library requirements. Although Desk Pilot it self was developed on a stock i7 @ 2.8GHZ and tested on a stock core2 duo @ 3.0GHZ.

Michael Harders

Interesting...what kind of internet bandwidth does it require between the server and client?

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Good question Bob, Well over my lan tests the bandwidth between the server and client was around 800 bytes a sec. If that information is correct then a standard adsl connection should be fine.

But as you know faster the connection and closer the two locations are the better performance you will receive.

Michael Harders

This looks great! Will have to try it out. How does it work with third party weather or any other addons? Does it cause any issues syncing?

Sent from my Mobile thing

When it comes to weather add ons, i recommend both pilots use the same weather software.

We used Rex essentials for weather and VAFS for flight path recording on both pc's on every flight tested with Desk Pilot and never had any issues.

Although once in a 'blue moon' the other users weather will be different regardless that both users have the same weather add on and injected it at the same time. When that happens we normally just keep refreshing the weather every few minutes until the problem is solved.

Michael Harders

looks very interesting

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Just saw your video, and it looks amazing!

If I want to fly with my friend right now, how well will it work for a normal flight?

Think im going to test it right now..

Oh My Goodness

That is something I was waiting for long time ago.

Thank you

I did I test with a buddy and there was many aspect that were out of sync.

I remember some that where  strange the CPT yaw dumper was not on on takeoff and the engine two was stuck to idle, after switch to on all works as it should on both side.

Another one that didn't work right was CMD B to engage autopilot on both.

My hardware did interfere (saitek cyber evo joystik), I also by mistake use shift-J as I get used to switch command and I lost the POV ability with the joystick and the spacebar-mouse.

Some knobs like CRS HDG reset after rotete them to 120 on MCP or on DP winodow.

If you finishes this tool it will add so much in simulation as we can learn much more between buddy and people, and it will change the way to fly the simulation.

Even VA can start to fly on co-op, I hope that you will make compatible for prepar3d as soon PMDG released their version.

I can only guess here.. It would be great if you provided more information.

I did I test with a buddy and there was many aspect that were out of sync.

I'm assuming you tried a switch that's not documented in the manual?

I remember some that where  strange the CPT yaw dumper was not on on takeoff and the engine two was stuck to idle, after switch to on all works as it should on both side.

I'm sorry, i don't understand what your saying. Yaw damper turned it self off on take off? or you forgot to turn it on? and the engine two start lever was stuck in the idle position?

My hardware did interfere (saitek cyber evo joystik), I also by mistake use shift-J as I get used to switch command and I lost the POV ability with the joystick and the spacebar-mouse.

I don't see how that is related to Desk Pilot...

Some knobs like CRS HDG reset after rotete them to 120 on MCP or on DP winodow.

Sounds like your taking about the clients interface and not the shared cockpit feature. While sharing your cockpit the course and heading values reset to 120? 

Michael Harders

I'm assuming you tried a switch that's not documented in the manual?

Correct

I'm sorry, i don't understand what your saying. Yaw damper turned it self off on take off? or you forgot to turn it on? and the engine two start lever was stuck in the idle position?

I am sorry, I reply late in the night, the Yaw dumper was off in his side because he forgot to turn on.

The engine two stay in Idle position on both side so throttle operate only on engine 1, once it turn on the yaw dumper the throttle operate as normal.

I don't see how that is related to Desk Pilot...

well I use to move around the VC with spacebar and the mouse  I hit a combi of keybord and I get stuck and can only use keyboard pad number and my mouse start to flicker badly even in his side.

I don't know if it's related to Desk pilot I just report.

Sounds like your taking about the clients interface and not the shared cockpit feature. While sharing your cockpit the course and heading values reset to 120?

Using knob in the MCP or using my Saitek multipanel (SPAD driver) or the Desk Pilot(FO) interface when try to set my choice after passing 120 value it reset to 0.

I used Hamachi to get connect on a private LAN I was in Italy and the other in USA

If you need help to test I will more then happy and I know how to operate the 737.

Hope this help

Ok i have good and bad news, the good news is i see what's causing your mcp issue. The bad news is i don't own a Saitek multi panel, so i can't run any tests to integrate it.

Although i do own a Saitek pro flight yoke system. Its configured via FSUIPC for my yoke,throttles,brakes and cockpit views. My first officer uses the good old space bar mouse look method to control his views.That's how we fly and its always worked for us.

Now with the mouse flicker does it happen when certain switches are pressed? If so that's because some of the switches required a simulated mouse click to activate them. That was included in the SDK as a method the dev could use to activate certain buttons etc. After the mouse is displayed just manually move your mouse to a place in the cockpit that has no buttons etc and let it disappear.

Back to your Saitek panel, I don't think it updates itself to the changes made inside the cockpit. I'm not 100% sure though can you try the following for me?

1: Start the flight sim in multiplayer and host a session. By yourself and don't start Desk Pilot at all.

2: Get the aircraft powered up so the MCP is online.

3: Check your saitek panel readings. Don't touch it.

4: Now inside the flight sim use your mouse and change the heading or whatever.

Now does your Saitek panel update itself to those changes? Let me know!

Michael Harders