Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

How will AMD CPU's stack up now that P3d is muti thread?

Since newer AMD CPU's out perform most Intels in muti threaded apps I wonder how my FX-8350 with its 8 cores running at 4.5ghz will stack up against the I7 4770k in P3d? Will AMD now become the "King of CPU's" for flight sims?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Probably not but I'm guessing that they will perform as close as they can to similar Intel chips. Cost wise it will be a win for a lot of people no doubt. Take the saved money from the CPU and get the fastest GPU you can. I've got both platforms here at home and will also be watching this with some interest.

Probably not but I'm guessing that they will perform as close as they can to similar Intel chips. Cost wise it will be a win for a lot of people no doubt. Take the saved money from the CPU and get the fastest GPU you can. I've got both platforms here at home and will also be watching this with some interest.

Yea I'm gonna run P3d and see how it does but I have a feeling I'll be replacing my 660ti

By the way post your results when you get P3d I'd like to see how my AMD compares to an Intel

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Since newer AMD CPU's out perform most Intels in muti threaded apps I wonder how my FX-8350 with its 8 cores running at 4.5ghz will stack up against the I7 4770k in P3d? Will AMD now become the "King of CPU's" for flight sims?

Hope So  That's the Same System I'm using. I have P3D  v 1.4 Running Smooth as Glass, no OOM'S  Ever and with my HD  7870 I'm Thinking I'm Set for Awhile.

With the amount of calculations going on in a flight simulator (Aerodynamics, aircraft systems, weather, AI, terrain etc.) CPU speed wil always be of the essence. If you want the best possible expereince go with the best CPU and motherboard architecture. Intel has for the last few years been way ahead of AMD in this regard.

More interesting will be how the DX11 will work on AMD cards as opposed to NVidia cards which reign supreme for the current FSX/P3D graphics engine.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

With the CPU now mostly unshackled from the burden that it had to endure under FSX, i doubt either an AMD 8 Series or an Intel I5/7 Quad will actually break a sweat now. Lets also hope overclocking, unless its your thing, is behind us too,

I just got a FX 6300 but mobo was blown so awaiting replacement. I don't have P3d but I will be posting the results for FSX on the FX 6300.

Check my post in "MOBO/CPU" section "FX 6300"

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It's very easy to over clock an Ivy Bridge or Haswell. and because they have memory controllers on the chip you don't have to go crazy with memory,

1600 Mhz is all you need.

To get into your BIOS start up your system and before it boots hold down (delete).

1 To SET MEMORY go into the Bios set dram memory to manual then then set memory clock frequency to (you pick it 1600 or 1800 or 1860 or 2100)Mhz.

(your not over clocking your memory, just setting the memory frequency of the memory you bought. ( if you bought 1600 memory you set it to 1600, if 

you bought 2100 you set it to 2100). Iv'e never needed over 1600.

2 Find the CPU set up in the Bios and change the CPU multiplier that is set to ( X34 or X36) to X40 or X41 or X42 Past that you need to know what your doing.

i7 3770K or i7 4770K you could go to X43 or X44, CPU multiplier is above the CPU frequency that is set at (100000), don't change that.

Haven't played with the i7 2600's, but have with the i7 870's there harder (not by much but more to play with). I'm going to play with an 870 also, to see if that is

all one needs OCed.

Hope this helps a little. 

Also I have't found a need for more then 8 GB of memory. Would like to know if that stands true for P3D?

Matt 

PS Be for you start you need to put in a good CPU cooler.

Hm, live is becoming more complicated with P3d... Up to now I only had to look at Intel CPU's and nVidia GPU's but now I also have to consider AMD CPU's and GPU's! The (very) positive thing is that this might save me some money... ^_^

More interested, as someone has stated in the AMD GPU's than CPU's, I have a feeling they will perform as well, unlike FSX DX9/10,as Nvidia cards with V2 DX11. As Jeroen says. More bang for the buck and I'm not a loyalist to any type.

Looks like Windows XP is not supported at all.

From Wikipedia:

Windows XP

Initial release: August 24, 2001; 12 years ago  :P

Also, DirectX 11 won't run on Windows XP either, so it's really not surprising at all.  :smile:

LM has posted the release date and requirements.

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/11/4648/

Looks like Windows XP is not supported at all.

Neither is Windows Vista!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Also, DirectX 11 won't run on Windows XP either, so it's really not surprising at all.

I'm not surprised either. However, I think there may be a few people still running FSX on XP that could be if they aren't paying attention.

Neither is Windows Vista!

This is a little more surprising as Vista does support DX11. Perhaps with the dismal reputation Vista has, they figured it wasn't worth the effort to support it.