Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Boeing Dreamlifter lands at the wrong airport..

I can't see how this situation would be any differant. The aircraft is capable of departing empty legally, Atlas has confirmed it can even depart safely with its cargo load so all is good :)

You bring up something that I was not aware of Kevin, what circumstance would allow an aircraft to depart where Vmca and minimum climb gradients are not applicable? To me that is suicide, not even accounting for any surrounding buildings and residential areas if an engine fails after V1

Cheers

They're always applicable. I wouldn't think they would be anywhere close to Vmca. I was thinking along the lines of balanced field lengths, and accelerate stop and go distances. They may not have enough runway to handle an engine failure on takeoff is what I was thinking they may need a waiver for.

Here's the take off ---

Yes they made it look easy. The crew that landed it must have bruised ego's today.

Matthew Kane

Hope they had enough fuel for their 7.5NM journey Ollie :lol:   Did they have to retract their landing gear B)

747x_zps0837a71c.jpg

Chris Sunseri

Yes they made it look easy. The crew that landed it must have bruised ego's today.

They're also going to be looking for new employment.

Let's hope not, although no denying the screw up is huge. Imagine if work was being performed on the runway with personal and equipment.

Rob Prest

People are of more value after a mistake like that....because you bet they won't make that same mistake twice. They will be extra vigilant from now on fore sure.

Matthew Kane

CVR TRANSCRIPT FROM B744L ON GROUND AT KAAO:

PIC: (unintelligible)... I am NOT looking forward to THIS post flight briefing.

FO: Wonder if that Twin Otter FO position in Yellowknife is still open? (TO PIC): Still got that brochure?

PIC: We'll be lucky to be flying rubber vomit out of Chengdu after this cluster----. (expletive deleted)

klingon.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

People are of more value after a mistake like that....because you bet they won't make that same mistake twice. They will be extra vigilant from now on fore sure.

Well, that assumes nothing like that has happened prior in their career; or something else.  How many occurrences like this can someone go through before enough damage is done or you say enough is enough because it's only 1 step away from a major accident?  When you're flying around an aircraft and parts worth as much money as that you can't afford to be giving second chances.

I don't think there is any way Boeing would allow something like that to happen with their name thrown all over the media without action being taken.  If Atlas didn't fire them than I'd be willing to bet that Boeing will put pressure on them to do it.  You can't be flying around something like the LCF that represents Boeing and have something like this occur to get blown up across the world and not expect Boeing to take action.  If this was an Asian carrier they would be embarrassed and a mockery would be made of them (based on the past).  Rest assured that Boeing will not let that happen to them.

How do you land at the wrong airport in an airplane equipped big glass screens that have magenta lines and maps showing where all the airports are?  Were they in IMC conditions?   I would imagine only the higher time Atlas pilots would be flying Dreamliner.

Far be it from low time pilot like me to question the skills of high time 747 pilots, but good flying habits suggest you give yourself redundant sources of information whenever possible, and that you cross reference the info as you fly.  This ensures your equipment is functioning properly, and that you are where you need to be.  Maybe tuning into the ICT VOR, and noting the approximate radial of KIAB's GPS approach FAF from ICT. 

Back to groundschool boys.  Hopefully groundschools are still teaching pilots how to use VORs and how to read a mag compass.

Oh well I hope this is a teachable moment for all pilots.  Always leave yourselves with backup sources of info.

Cheers

TJ

Well, that assumes nothing like that has happened prior in their career; or something else.

Yes this is true....I have a different style of management but I also don't work in Aviation. 

Their pilot records would not be public record so between them and their employer.

Matthew Kane

How do you land at the wrong airport in an airplane equipped big glass screens that have magenta lines and maps showing where all the airports are? Were they in IMC conditions? I would imagine only the higher time Atlas pilots would be flying Dreamliner.

Far be it from low time pilot like me to question the skills of high time 747 pilots, but good flying habits suggest you give yourself redundant sources of information whenever possible, and that you cross reference the info as you fly. This ensures your equipment is functioning properly, and that you are where you need to be. Maybe tuning into the ICT VOR, and noting the approximate radial of KIAB's GPS approach FAF &from ICT Back to groundschool boys. Hopefully groundschools are still teaching pilots how to use VORs and how to read a mag compass.

Oh well I hope this is a teachable moment for all pilots. Always leave yourselves with backup sources of info.

Cheers

TJ

It means they are not paying attention to the screens. Here is three airports lined up in a row. Jabara, Beech, and McConnel Airforce base. They don't need VORs, and you certainly can't blame it on the GPS and Magenta lines.

Perhaps we need the GPS to scream audio warnings, of..... you're about to be rediculed and fired, instead of you're about to die by hitting terrain. Make it flash red, too!

The **** with VORs and a mag compass...

As an added note: Exactly what kind of screen displays, did this particular aircraft have? I recently visted the Boeing plant, that produces most of the panels for their aircraft. With the next generation displays, you'd have to be blind, or not even looking at the panel.......to mix up airports. Perhaps a bit more of "heads in the cockpit"....this time..