Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nyxx

New gtx

Hi after having to buy a new gtx, I read I should delete my shader file? Is this right and where can I find it?

It's was not a big upgrade as I will get a new PC new year, my gtx480 packed in so I bought a gtx660 to tie me over, it has 2gb memory where the 480 only had 1, no idea if it's a much faster card. If I delete my shade will I see any difference?

Thanks

I would as your shaders were compiled for the old card. Before I did I couldn't tell a difference from my 660ti when I upgraded to a 770

This is interesting as I have on several occasions in the past upgraded a videocard and never deleted the shaders.

Am I missing a trick?

IAN

I deleted mine everytime I switched DX mode.  Never had a problem.  

I'm back in DX9 now, so I haven't touched it since.  This is the first time I've heard about leaving it alone.

Maybe wait for more confirmation?

There are two.  One for DX9, the other for DX10.  They're located in C:/Users/USER/AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX

This is interesting as I have on several occasions in the past upgraded a videocard and never deleted the shaders.

Am I missing a trick?

IAN

It fixed a few flickering issues I had on an airport building and a few signs and fences.  It happened when I was switching back and forth between DX modes.

Do not delete it.

Explain you have only 120 post's. I'm all ears.

Anyone else heard about no deleting it?

@Maurice

Thanks

Add this line to your FSX.CFG:

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=3

Changing the number by one will cause fsx to flush the shaders.

Dave

Hi after having to buy a new gtx, I read I should delete my shader file? Is this right and where can I find it?

It's was not a big upgrade as I will get a new PC new year, my gtx480 packed in so I bought a gtx660 to tie me over, it has 2gb memory where the 480 only had 1, no idea if it's a much faster card. If I delete my shade will I see any difference?

Thanks

Easy David just rename the shader folder to shaders_old and FSX will rebuild a new one based on your new hardware ;-)

So you have a backup in place which can be easy restored via a renamed of the shaders_old folder to shaders...

path is C:\(your usr name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\shaders

Thanks guys for your help

I added this line

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=3 and it build a new one all seems well, I wish I had back It up just in case but seen fine.

Thank you

Explain you have only 120 post's. I'm all ears.

Anyone else heard about no deleting it?

@Maurice

Thanks

Ohhhh, its my wrong, I mean remove it :

[Graphics]

Shader_cache_version

Remove this line and see what will happen mr ears, if u get any problem change the value +1 or -1.

The Shader and Shader10 folders will be rebuilt when removed.  Updates to DX10 make removing the folder mandatory. 

Best regards,

Jim