Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Why can AVSIM not be a troll free zone

A bigger,growing community has people from many different backgrounds,Points of view, personalities, and thus conflict is seen everyday.

That about sums it up. Not sure conflict is the right word; a few ppl like the sound of their own voice (possibly me LOL) and a few ppl think they know it all. That's about the strength of it, really..Not "proper" trolling IMO.

All life is here. If you don't like a post someone has written, or a reply, ignore it. Deprive people who just like to argue of 02. They'll soon get bored and go back to watching kids TV if nobody rises to them.

Try Twitter for trolls. You'll come back to AVSIM thinking it's a bit like Sunday School LOL

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I don't like to use LOL, because that's for kids, but I'm going to LOL you!  That was really good. :lol:

I'll see your "LOL" and raise you "ROTFLMHAO!" :Silly:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, the new ratings system is making things worse. Don't know who had the bright idea, but hopefully they will just please scrap the damn thing. The old system was anonymous, this one isn't. Now if you rate someone in a certain way and it's not approved of by someone else, it becomes a personal manhunt. No sir, didn't like it... No rating system would be better than this. The old one wasn't broken IMHO.

I partially agree with this.  Some are using the new downvote system just as a way to say F.U.  I have a dillemna on how to deal with this.  Should I report them?  I never was much a fan of "Ima gonna tell the teacher" stuff on the playground.  Should I just immediately downvote them back (and I have on many occassions, which makes me feel a little petty)?  Some of the people hardly ever post an inciteful point themselves, they just go around as professional raters and biased judges of other people's opinions. Or should I just ignore them, and let a bunch of red accumulate next to my name, without any context?   If such a system is to remain in place, I would contend that it shouldn't be anonymous, but it does come with the price of if one uses the system simply to simply preemptively flip somebody the finger because you're a P3D fan, or an X-plane fan, or an FSX/FS9 fan and the other guy isn't,  or you just simply don't like the person's past comments,  then you are singling yourself out as a partisan a-hole.  I see this as a very definite form of "trolling".

I would contend that it shouldn't be anonymous,

Huh? It isn't anonymous. Just click on the "list" link next to the votes on your topic. We are coming to a point where we are going to be looking at the usage data to date and dealing with the abusers.

Huh? It isn't anonymous. Just click on the "list" link next to the votes on your topic. We are coming to a point where we are going to be looking at the usage data to date and dealing with the abusers.

Yes, I know that.  Just to clarify, the above poster who I was responding to was arguing that it should be, and I was arguing that it shouldn't be  :P

Yes, I know that.  The above poster who I was responding to was arguing that it should be, and I was arguing that it shouldn't be :P

I am not awake yet... Okay. My bad.

I've never rated any post and don't intent to. I also ignore any ratings my posts might get. If people want to disagree then them say so and it can be discussed.

I've never rated any post and don't intent to. I also ignore any ratings my posts might get. If people want to disagree then them say so and it can be discussed.

I've been handing out a lot of Useful or Informatives, meaning that I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but I think it contributes to the discussion or my understanding of an issue.  I've generally used my Dislikes and Dumbs in a purely retalliatory fashion, and not pre-emptively, even in the middle of a flamewar.  This makes me feel petty, and maybe it is, but if somebody is going to use it that way on me, repeatedly, same people showing up to dislike almost every comment I make on certain subjects, then why should they just be able to skate?   I've rated a number of posts as Dumb or Dislike, not necessarily because I thought their comment was dumb in and of itself, but only because I felt these individuals were misusing their own rating power on me just to say screw you.   Generally most people have been pretty mature about this rating system, imho, but there are always those kiddies that think they are on a Justin Bieber site.

I felt these individuals were misusing their own power on me just to say screw you.

But they don't have any power.

I think the rating system is one of the most refreshing things to happen to Avsim in years.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I think the rating system is one of the most refreshing things to happen to Avsim in years.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I've noticed...

Regarding that flamewar we got into the other day, which was removed, and hopefully can be put behind us:  Did it not occur to you that maybe one of the reason I responded quite forcefully to your P3D pitch was because I had noticed that you were one of the people handing out 'Dumbs' with a particular fervor... I don't have a count, but that was my impression, right or wrong.  By handing out certain ratings, or rather by using the rating system in a certain way, you had previously established yourself as purely partisan in my mind, unwilling to tolerate a different point of view or consider completely rational reasons why someone might not fully embrace the New Thing.  It wasn't just the things you said, it was the way you had been rating.  Don't you think it poisoned the well, even a little?  So this is the reason, imho, why I'm not fully convinced that the current rating system is a good thing...Or maybe it is, since it lets us all know where the biases lay.  My feelings about the system remain mixed.

I've noticed...

Regarding that flamewar we got into the other day, which was removed, and hopefully can be put behind us:  Did it not occur to you that maybe one of the reason I responded quite forcefully to your P3D pitch was because I had noticed that you were one of the people handing out 'Dumbs' with a particular fervor... I don't have a count, but that was my impression, right or wrong.  By handing out certain ratings, or rather by using the rating system in a certain way, you had previously established yourself as purely partisan in my mind, unwilling to tolerate a different point of view or consider completely rational reasons why someone might not fully embrace the New Thing.  It wasn't just the things you said, it was the way you had been rating.  Don't you think it poisoned the well, even a little?  So this is the reason, imho, why I'm not fully convinced that the current rating system is a good thing...Or maybe it is, since it lets us all know where the biases lay.  My feelings about the system remain mixed.

You are putting way too much energy and weight into the rating system.  Like I told you before it's a post by post thing for me.  I may think one comment of yours is dumb and later on rate your next comment as a 'Winner'.  It has everything to do with what your saying at the time.  The rating system beats typing up comments.  It's really great in the screenshot forum where instead of saying, "Oooh, that's a nice screenshot" a 100 times I can just give it a 'Like' rating and move on.  I can agree/like a post with one click.

Like a poster said above it's one of the best things to happen to this forum in along time.  I wouldn't get too bent out of shape because someone doesn't like what you say.  I'd rather take a quick rating versus a four paragraph explanation on the subject.  I've had more than my share of that in the last 7 years with the FS9/FSX debate.  Now that we are on P3D v2 a rating is a quick scan read of where everyone's at.  It's a great system just don't let it get under your skin, we're all simmers here... 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Original post deleted by me, King Ghidorah.  Had trouble articulating my thoughts, so I just said the heck with it :lol:

Sure Dillon, but you've just described responsible useage of the rating system. When somebody "dumbs" someone because of a personal conflict or because they simply don't like something rather than the content of their post, that IMO is irresponsible use. For example I was reading a P3D2 thread the other day and I noticed Double J had gone through and "dumbed" everyone that had something positive to say about the new sim. From the first thread to the last, anyone who wasn't complaining about P3D2 had a dumb vote from Double J. Obviously he's having trouble getting the sim to run well for him and he's not happy about it but that doesn't make everyone who's having success with it "dumb".

Now we need a rating system for the rating system so we can "dumb" people's "dumb" votes too. :smile: